Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

2 hours ago, gthsd87 said:

Supposedly FC1 does not have to be completed prior to submittal up to NGB. Had 2 guys at WPAFB with me getting FC1, who already had approved package from NGB, and were weeks away from TFOT commencing.

I've been told the same thing for the Reserves, which is a good thing since I had my AFRC board package and my FC1 request both sent in yesterday.

• Upvote 1

I'm going Reserve, off the street.

Interview Jan 2017

Hired Jan 2017

FC1 Feb 2017

FC1 approved March 2017

Package submitted to board April 2017  (Meets end of May, Awaiting approval)

The most recent timelines I've seen on here are mostly Guard, can anyone going reserve fill me in on their timeline after the board approves the package? My recruiter is saying the timeline he's been seeing lately is:

Board approval approx 30 days from meeting

Swear in approx a week after approval

OTS approx 30-60 days after swearing in

And says they are going from OTS to UPT without much time in between. (i'm IFT exempt)

His timeline seems pretty optimistic compared to what I've seen on here. What do you guys think?  

On 5/3/2017 at 11:35 AM, Heavywanabe said:

I'm going Reserve, off the street.

Interview Jan 2017

Hired Jan 2017

FC1 Feb 2017

FC1 approved March 2017

Package submitted to board April 2017  (Meets end of May, Awaiting approval)

The most recent timelines I've seen on here are mostly Guard, can anyone going reserve fill me in on their timeline after the board approves the package? My recruiter is saying the timeline he's been seeing lately is:

Board approval approx 30 days from meeting

Swear in approx a week after approval

OTS approx 30-60 days after swearing in

And says they are going from OTS to UPT without much time in between. (i'm IFT exempt)

His timeline seems pretty optimistic compared to what I've seen on here. What do you guys think?  

It's hard to say, the timing will depend on several factors beyond your control. Mine was about a month from AFRC board passage to swearing in, then another 8 months till OTS. What I can say is that once you've gotten rolling (OTS), the reserves will do their best to stack you back to back with as little time in between as possible. I had about a week from OTS to UPT show date. You have to strike the balance between being patient and being ready to go on fairly short notice.

Interviewed/Hired: Oct 2016

FC1: Feb 17

FC1 Approved: April 2017 (1 Waiver)

Package HQ: April 2017/Approved mid April

Package to NGB: Mid April 2017/Approved May 2017

Dates: Today!

TFOT: June 2017

IFS: Aug 2017

UPT: @ Columbus Oct 2017

ANG Prior Service

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, kbturner said:

Interviewed/Hired: Oct 2016

FC1: Feb 17

FC1 Approved: April 2017 (1 Waiver)

Package HQ: April 2017/Approved mid April

Package to NGB: Mid April 2017/Approved May 2017

Dates: Today!

TFOT: June 2017

IFS: Aug 2017

UPT: @ Columbus Oct 2017

ANG Prior Service

Wow, that's seemingly a lightning fast time between actually getting the dates and the time you show up for OTS. I'm waiting around for the results of the May/June AFRC board and was expecting a much longer wait.

15 hours ago, sforron said:

Wow, that's seemingly a lightning fast time between actually getting the dates and the time you show up for OTS. I'm waiting around for the results of the May/June AFRC board and was expecting a much longer wait.

Yea I know the hose is full port. It's the end of June though so about 7 weeks from now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guard, NPS. I had some unique circumstances but they didn't affect the timeline

Interview/hired: Jul 16
FC1/MFS: Feb 17
NGB approval: May 17
OTS: Sep 17
UPT: Jan 18

On 5/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, sforron said:

I've been told the same thing for the Reserves, which is a good thing since I had my AFRC board package and my FC1 request both sent in yesterday.

So you can apply to the AFRC board without having gone for your FC1?

3 hours ago, Edw26 said:

So you can apply to the AFRC board without having gone for your FC1?

I think the requirement to apply to the AFRC board is having successfully completed MEPS. I'm (as far as I know) waiting for results from the board next week, but I won't go for my FC1 until July.

Selected: September 2016

FC1: November 2016

NGB Approval: May 2017

Dates: June 2017

OTS: September 2017

UPT: February 2018 Columbus 

Side note: does anyone have gouge on this "qualification course" they're making us take before we go to OTS? I was made aware of it yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, topdeadcenter said:

Side note: does anyone have gouge on this "qualification course" they're making us take before we go to OTS? I was made aware of it yesterday. 

Only that it's the academics portion which will now be online individual study as opposed to classroom lecture and you take the test(s) on it right after you get there. Curious to find out more.

If you're in the 19 Sep class already know a few good dudes in it, it's going to be great

14 minutes ago, Bobsan said:

Only that it's the academics portion which will now be online individual study as opposed to classroom lecture and you take the test(s) on it right after you get there. Curious to find out more.

If you're in the 19 Sep class already know a few good dudes in it, it's going to be great

Excellent, I yam, looking forward to it.

42 minutes ago, Bobsan said:

Selected: September 2016

FC1: November 2016

NGB Approval: May 2017

Dates: May 2017

UPT: February 2018 ENJJPT

I was a very "cookie cutter" case. Non-prior, no waivers. Glad to know I wasn't the only one waiting forever for dates. See yall there.  

Is there such a thing as "age critical" to the NGB? For example, would they try to prioritize MFS, paperwork/approvals, OTS/IFT/UPT orders for a candidate hired a couple of months prior to age 29? Or in that situation would they probably just move at their standard pace and an age waiver would be needed?

While I'm at it, I'll open up the rest of this can of worms. I'm a CSO select for Active Duty. I've had an IFC1 completed (Flight Medicine did Class 1 rather than 1A by request), my TS clearance paperwork has been submitted, and I've sworn into DEP. I don't have an OTS class date yet. If I were to be hired by a Guard unit before OTS and I turn down the AD slot, could any of these selection process factors already being completed help to absolve the normal wait for Guard selects? I know I'd still need to go to MFS, but is there perhaps a way the NGB could take ownership of my OTS class slot rather than having to wait for a new one to be assigned?

Edited by mb1685

5 hours ago, mb1685 said:

While I'm at it, I'll open up the rest of this can of worms. I'm a CSO select for Active Duty. I've had an IFC1 completed (Flight Medicine did Class 1 rather than 1A by request), my TS clearance paperwork has been submitted, and I've sworn into DEP. I don't have an OTS class date yet. If I were to be hired by a Guard unit before OTS and I turn down the AD slot, could any of these selection process factors already being completed help to absolve the normal wait for Guard selects? I know I'd still need to go to MFS, but is there perhaps a way the NGB could take ownership of my OTS class slot rather than having to wait for a new one to be assigned?

I don't know the answer to the first part, so here goes on the second.

You will essentially be ready to apply to the NGB immediately, as long as your unit is cool with doing that without the MFS. However, your unit's recruiter can't transfer your MEPS paperwork until AD releases it. This will take a lot longer than you expect it to, unless your AD recruiter is cool about it. They have no incentive to help you out and do this quickly. Once your recruiter has the MEPs stuff and all your paperwork done (which it will be since it's easy stuff, faster than AD & MEPs), I think the MEPs just needs a quick signoff by the state SG (I forget who it is) before it goes to the NGB.

Everything else will be dependent on how fast your unit wants to move you. They may be fine with taking the risk of sending you to OTS without the MFS, I've heard of it happening, but I've also heard of units getting burned by that decision. 

I'd just expect to have to get an age waiver. Make sure the unit(s) you're applying to/getting accepted by know it is significantly easier of a process to get one than it was in the past. A lot don't want to do them because it used to be much more of a headache than it is now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Goosewho? said:

Guard/Prior

Interview/Selected: October 2016

Sent Package to NGB: Jan 2017

Approved by NGB: June 2017

CSO: February 2018

I know I'm going the NAV route but I am excited I finally got my Dates!! 

Congrats!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, UPTapplicant2017 said:

If you get a slot off the streets do you skip MEPs and go strait to FC1 physical at Brooks?

Nope, you go to MEPS first. Then you usually enlist in the unit so they can send you to FC1 at Wright-Patt (no longer Brooks) and forward your package to NGB to get training dates.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

Nope, you go to MEPS first. Then you usually enlist in the unit so they can send you to FC1 at Wright-Patt (no longer Brooks) and forward your package to NGB to get training dates.

When it comes to NGB do they approve/deny whenever they get paperwork or are there certain times of the year where they process all packages that have come to them? Mine has been sent up but I'm just curious if I'm going to be waiting a few weeks or a few months until I hear back.