Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

My package was submitted in September 2012 and I heard back in late November but they do not have UPT dates yet. March 2013 FC1 and AMS, July 2013 IFS. For the UPT request it says awaiting AETC release of FY-14 seats.

At least we are hearing the same thing. Hope to see you at AMS in March.

Does anyone (IPs or anyone at AETC) know when AETC releases the UPT slots for each FY?

Edited by JakeFSU

• 3 weeks later...

** AIR GUARD Does anyone know the rules (ie reference an AFI) about breaks between UPT and school house? Initially told my training at my base that once i start upt my orders would be continuous through seasoning but now my guy is saying since there will be longer than a month break between upt and intial qual that i will have to come off orders! Does anyone know anything or have experienced anything like this?

** AIR GUARD Does anyone know the rules (ie reference an AFI) about breaks between UPT and school house? Initially told my training at my base that once i start upt my orders would be continuous through seasoning but now my guy is saying since there will be longer than a month break between upt and intial qual that i will have to come off orders! Does anyone know anything or have experienced anything like this?

From my experience, all of my dates for school have had around a month break in training for the reason you're stating above. I would have had to come off orders if it was much longer, but YMMV.

Have you talked to anyone on the ops side of things? I guess money is tight in today's economic climate, but it seems like they should be able to find something for you to do on orders. If it's a break between UPT and your schoohouse, don't they have to PCS you back to homestation first and then PCS you to school if they're going to have a break in orders? Seems expensive.

FWIW.. there are AFI's that talk about landing currency and breaks in training, which you could use to your advantage when talking to your unit. For example AFI11-2t-38V1 AETC Sup 1 section 5.11 talks about BIT sortie authorization etc. pre and post IFF for -38's. Not sure about other ac but they want 45 days or less for fighters. Bottom line they should keep you on orders

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FWIW.. there are AFI's that talk about landing currency and breaks in training, which you could use to your advantage when talking to your unit. For example AFI11-2t-38V1 AETC Sup 1 section 5.11 talks about BIT sortie authorization etc. pre and post IFF for -38's. Not sure about other ac but they want 45 days or less for fighters. Bottom line they should keep you on orders

I don't think what you've described is all that typical as of now. The greater preponderance of my buddies that I commissioned with, went to IFS with, and am with at UPT had breaks in training. Luckily almost all of us had civ jobs to return to during those times.

Some of us had breaks as long as four months in-between AMS and IFS/SERE, and then another break to head to UPT. My unit put me on orders for a month, but that was just because it was the end of the year, and they had days to burn. The rest of the time I went home and min-ran my civ job... it was awesome. Regular pay, and 1/4 the responsibility, since they had already "filled my slot", sts.

Your results may vary, but this seems pretty typical with the guys I know, and a big "who knows" in the current fiscal climate.

• 2 months later...

Guard, Non Prior

Interviewed and selected alternate - October 2011

Given primary slot - December 2011

Sworn in - September 2012

Received FC1, AMS, and IFS dates (July IFS cancelled shortly after due to PPL) - November 2012

FCI Wright Patt - March 2013

AMS - March 2013

Received UPT dates - May 2013

UPT - October 2013

• 1 year later...

For guard, 2 questions:

1. What is the typical timeline for SERE school and moving back to guard base once UPT is complete? Have most of you moved, then gone to SERE or vice versa?

2. How long do you stay on active duty orders after UPT graduation?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

For guard, 2 questions:

1. What is the typical timeline for SERE school and moving back to guard base once UPT is complete? Have most of you moved, then gone to SERE or vice versa?

2. How long do you stay on active duty orders after UPT graduation?

Thanks in advance!

1. It varies. I went to SERE prior to UPT, some guys I know went to SERE immediately after UPT/Prior to IFF/After IFF and one dude in my squadron is going to SERE following B-Course.

2. Also varies I think, somewhere between 1-2 years for a fighter squadron sounds about right?

Edited by ȘÅİňŦ

• 5 months later...

Wow, that is lengthy. I did a lot of pushing and effort. I am IFS exempt with 4000+ hours if that made any difference.(not sure)

Do your best to not mention the 4000+ hours at UPT.

Edited by Bergman

• 2 months later...

March 2014 selected

May 2014 swear in

July 2014 FC1

Feb 2015 OTS

May 2015 UPT

What's involved when you swear in? Are you technically enlisted?

Also, what additional forms did you have to complete after getting selected (for NGB approval)?

You'll also probably be required to report to drill weekends once you're enlisted, which can be a hassle if you're in another state or on the other side of the country, but you can usually figure it out.

I second that. I was hired in September for a UPT slot, swore in Feb and started "Student Flight" last month while waiting for OTS dates. I have to drive ~5 hours each way for drill. Just something to think about.

Edited by PilotPoe

• 2 months later...

I am guard off the street, will they give you class dates if you have been to Wright-Patt before they process medical/ waiver? Or must you wait the 45 days. I am trying to figure out some sort of timeline till I receive some OTS dates! Just Got through Wright-Patt with no issues only a vision waiver. Thanks to anyone with recent experience/ answers! Thinking I will be getting a late fall or winter class date if they are not full already

You'll also probably be required to report to drill weekends once you're enlisted, which can be a hassle if you're in another state or on the other side of the country, but you can usually figure it out.

some units are real chill about it and others are not, just depends.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you must be enlisted to process a UPT package.. You just get a 3S0 AFSC while you get all your stuff done.

Got it.  So the swearing in process for the guard is in conjunction with MEPS, correct?  I'm guessing you're sworn in as an E-3? 

Do you have to get a CAC card after you swear in?

• 4 weeks later...

What is currently a ballpark timeline from getting approved by AFRC to going to OTS? From what I heard in the past it was at least a year but now word on the street is that its 3 to 6 months? Anybody know?

• 1 month later...

What is currently a ballpark timeline from getting approved by AFRC to going to OTS? From what I heard in the past it was at least a year but now word on the street is that its 3 to 6 months? Anybody know?

Bump. You hear anything? 3-6 mos is what I have in my head but don't have much info to go on, that's more of a guess.