Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

Guest SuiSideburns

I want to get an idea of how long things take (training date wise) for people who get hired from a guard/reserve unit. I understand that there are many factors invovled (waivers, holidays, guard bureau workload, etc...) could everyone post how long it took to get dates and what dates they got at what time? This could give new hires a rough estimate of what kind of time frame they're looking at for their training.

Here's my info:

Hire date: June 2009 (for fiscal year 2011)

Package submitted to guard bureau: October 2009

Brooks dates received: 16 December 2009

MFS at Brooks: 5 Jan 2010

As of now I still haven't received any dates for AMS, IFS or UPT

It's weird because I know some people are getting their dates for Brooks, AMS, IFS and UPT all in one shot and some people aren't.

Guest Lockjaw25

Took me over 7 months to get any sort of dates...and then I only had my AMS class date. Had to wait another three for UPT dates. YMMV.

My brief Reserve timeline..

Hire: March 2009

Brooks: May 2009

AFRC Board: Sept 2009

AFRC Decision Results: November 2009

OTS: March 2010

IFS: June 2010

UPT: September 2010

It actually went about as smooth as it could have gone for me. All in all 1 year from hire to OTS. Hope that helps.

Edited by SQUAWK3274

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard a couple of different things regarding to being on active orders once you start pilot training. Once you start IFS are you typically on orders till you are done with RTU?

And what is the typical break between IFS and UPT? And UPT and RTU for Vipers?

Hire: Nov 09

Brooks: Jan 10

I believe my paperwork is almost ready to be sent to the guard bureau.

Palace Chase, so no AMS.

It CAN be pretty quick.

I got hired in April 09'

AMS OCT 5

IFS Feb 8 coming up!

UPT April 27

At least for me no, I am not on orders constantly. My orders dropped grad day from AMS to pick back up Feb 7, drop off again till April 3. I got lucky with my civilian job as they let me come and go through training.

Guest pilotapplicant

There seems to be no "standard" time to start UPT. It seems to ebb and flow at the Guard Bureau. I was hired the same day as another guy but his packet got to the NGB a couple weeks before mine. He was at AMS and UPT eight months before me. I started AMS eleven months after hire and UPT at month 14. From UPT to Viper RTU has been getting quicker all the time. Right now the average seems to be UPT graduation to RTU start of about six months. You will need to complete IFF and some guys are also knocking out land survival. This also varies from as little as four months to up to about eight months from the dozen or so guys I know at ENJJPT that are in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

Edited by pilotapplicant

• 1 month later...
Guest SonofaCrewchief

Interviewed: April '09

Hired: June '09

Brooks: 1 Feb '10

AMS: 15 Mar '10

IFS: 25 May '10

UPT: 23 July '10

• 1 month later...

Just got the rest of my dates.

Hire: Nov 09

Brooks: Jan 10

IFS: 8 Sep

UPT: Nov 10

I heard AD guys aren't getting to RTU as quick as ANG/AFRC. Any truth to that?

Guest pilotapplicant

Seems that most of the RTUs are back to a more normal flow for AD and Guard/Reserve. My class that just graduated UPT last week has about an average UPT-RTU time of about six months for C-Model,E-Model and Viper dudes. A reservist A-10 guy starts RTU in about three months but the active duty A-10 guy only has a date of fiscal year 11 or maybe 12. So the answer is it still depends but F-15 and F-16 RTUs seem to be working "normally". I start RTU five and a half months after UPT graduation and most of my time will be full between survival schools, IFF, a PCS and some leave. It felt like a long time when I got the dates but when I started to schedule leave and the PCS it seems about optimum.

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

• 1 month later...
Guest indasoup

Just got my dates:

Interview: Feb 2009

Hired: Feb 2009

Brooks: Oct 2009

AMS: Sept 2010

IFS: TBD ?

UPT: June 2011

Does anyone want to trade for IFS and UPT dates that start sooner? I have been waiting a long time?

Guest Bini

Just got my dates:

Interview: Feb 2009

Hired: Feb 2009

Brooks: Oct 2009

IFS: TBD ?

UPT: June 2011

Does anyone want to trade for IFS and UPT dates that start sooner? I have been waiting a long time?

How/when were you notified of your AMS date? I've been told by multiple people that AMS class rosters weren't going to be released till later in the summer, but thankfully it looks like they were wrong. I have about the same time line as you and it has been a long wait!

Edited by Bini

Guest indasoup

How/when were you notified of your AMS date? I've been told by multiple people that AMS class rosters weren't going to be released till later in the summer, but thankfully it looks like they were wrong. I have about the same time line as you and it has been a long wait!

I was notified via email from my unit POC.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bini

My timeline as a non-prior:

Interviewed: Feb. 2009

Selected: March 2009

Enlisted: May 2009

Brooks: Nov. 2009

IFS: Jan 2011

UPT: April 2011 - Vance

Will be two years from selection to UPT.

Guest MN C130

Originally Enlisted in North Dakota Guard

Hired out of Minneapolis, Minnesota Air National Guard Flying the C-130

This is time line so far... No Wavier, No Issues Just Transfer Took Little Extra Time

Package Sent in May 31 2009

Email for Interview June 2009

Interview End of July 2009

Second Interview Early August 2009

Officially Got Job November 2009

Transferred to the Hiring Guard Unit December 2009

Brooks Dates 15 March 2010

AMS Dates 13 Sept 2010

IFS Jan-Feb 2011

UPT Columbus, MS for a year Starting Mar-April 2011

Guest stamfordblue7

These timelines seem incredibly disheartening... Did it seem shorter after actually getting the select, or did the anticipation make it worse?

These timelines seem incredibly disheartening... Did it seem shorter after actually getting the select, or did the anticipation make it worse?

$0.02

Nothing happens quickly in the Air Force. The sooner you adapt to that the easier things are. Stay on top of things though. Get use to the hurry up and wait mentality, it will serve you well as a pilot. Enjoy where you are now and spend time with loved ones while you can.

Hired- March 09

Brooks- July 09

AFRC board- Sept 09

OTS- March 10

IFS- Jul 10

UPT- Sept 10

Edited by kapilot

Guest stamfordblue7

Yeah, I've been in the whole process for about two years now and have figured out the hurry-up and wait mentality is pervasive across the entire service...

I just feel like it may be one of those things where it feels like forever when you are in the middle of it, but then you look back and it was a flash...

Edited by stamfordblue7

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 12XU2A3X3

Seems that most of the RTUs are back to a more normal flow for AD and Guard/Reserve. My class that just graduated UPT last week has about an average UPT-RTU time of about six months for C-Model,E-Model and Viper dudes. A reservist A-10 guy starts RTU in about three months but the active duty A-10 guy only has a date of fiscal year 11 or maybe 12. So the answer is it still depends but F-15 and F-16 RTUs seem to be working "normally". I start RTU five and a half months after UPT graduation and most of my time will be full between survival schools, IFF, a PCS and some leave. It felt like a long time when I got the dates but when I started to schedule leave and the PCS it seems about optimum.

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

how long is IFF?

• 1 month later...

Finally got my friggin dates:

Hired - January 2010

Brooks - June 2010

AMS - March 2011

IFS - May 2011

H20 Survival - June 2011

UPT - July 2011 (Columbus)

Prior Enlisted, BTW

Edited by LegalViper

Finally got my friggin dates:

Hired - January 2010

Brooks - June 2010

AMS - March 2011

IFS - May 2011

H20 Survival - June 2011

UPT - July 2011 (Columbus)

Prior Enlisted, BTW

Interesting timeline. I'm waiting on the official word right now. I did Brooks July 26th, and was told that I should expect 11-03 AMS class (Jan). Do you know when you're package was submitted to the NGB? Did you have any waivers at Brooks?

Interesting timeline. I'm waiting on the official word right now. I did Brooks July 26th, and was told that I should expect 11-03 AMS class (Jan). Do you know when you're package was submitted to the NGB? Did you have any waivers at Brooks?

No waivers at Brooks. As for submitting my package, I had my stuff turned around to MPF by the first week in February, but I'm pretty sure they didn't get it off until April-ish (not that I'm surprised).

• 3 weeks later...

Dates dropped this past week (prior enlisted):

Hired - June 2010

Brooks - July 2010 (waiver recommended)

Waiver Received - October 2010

AMS - Jan 2011

CST/Parachute - March 2011

Water Survival - April 2011

IFS - May 2011

ENJJPT - July 2011

Gonna be a busy 2011....

How long did it take for you to be officially hired? I only ask because I was told that I would have to undergo a commissioning physical at my unit (Andrews AFB) and other batteries of paperwork before I would be officially sworn in. Is this similar to what you went through?

My "dates" so far:

Selected for FY'12 UPT slot - 28 September

Released from IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) - 08 October

ANGOTS - ??

IFS - ??

UPT - ??