Anxiety Medication

Guest kingnep117

Guest kingnep117

I have learned that you must be off all ADD medication for at least 12 months to get into AFROTC much less Flight training. Is this true for Anxiety medications as well? I keep on emailing these different flight doc's but quite frankly they arent very helpful. They keep saying I need to first be evaluated. All im asking for is the policy relating to anxiety med's.

Thanks

The long and the short of it is that it probably requires a waiver process, and most of the time, there is no "cookie cutter" waiver -- each case is different, and is treated separately from any other case, regardless of how similar. They probably want to figure out what, why and if you need to continue with the medication, and get their own idea of your situation. I understand it's frustrating, but sadly it's just something that you may just have to work through.

Edited by kork13

Guest kingnep117

The long and the short of it is that it probably requires a waiver process, and most of the time, there is no "cookie cutter" waiver -- each case is different, and is treated separately from any other case, regardless of how similar. They probably want to figure out what, why and if you need to continue with the medication, and get their own idea of your situation. I understand it's frustrating, but sadly it's just something that you may just have to work through.

yes i understand. But why im trying to get at is should I take myself off the medication now? I have a little more than a year until ROTC. If I show up there still on the meds they will want to see that I can perform academically well without it just like the ADD.

My best recommendation would be to do exactly as they ask -- get an appointment with a flight doc at the nearest AFB and talk to them about it. For what it's worth, I do know people who have gone through both ROTC and the Academy on anxiety meds or anti-depressants. It's not necessarily disqualifying, so you really just need to address it with the docs. But until then, you generally don't want to start or stop taking any prescription medication without discussing it with your doctor.

Guest kingnep117

Ya I should do that. I just wish my parents were more enthusiastic about me joining. They will not want to take me to the nearest AFB I can tell you that. Arent there USAF flight surgeons not at an AFB? The nearest one is like 2-3 hours away and its one of those "technically an AFB but not really." Its not anything big like nellis. Its called scott AFB in Illinois.

You raise a good point though. Even if I have to be off the ADD meds for a year before ROTC, I think the USAF only wants me off the anxiety for UPT.

Thanks

Ya I should do that. I just wish my parents were more enthusiastic about me joining. They will not want to take me to the nearest AFB I can tell you that. Arent there USAF flight surgeons not at an AFB? The nearest one is like 2-3 hours away and its one of those "technically an AFB but not really." Its not anything big like nellis. Its called scott AFB in Illinois.

You raise a good point though. Even if I have to be off the ADD meds for a year before ROTC, I think the USAF only wants me off the anxiety for UPT.

Thanks

Pretty much the only place flight docs are is where flyers are; I wouldn't call Scott not really an AFB - the airlift/tanker guys might get pissed. I don't know if they will even see you at this point (1 year of HS left) unless you are the child of a military retiree, etc with some existing access to the military healthcare system. When joining ROTC, I was offered the scholarship before my freshman year and did the entry (DODMERB) physical that spring/summer. After the initial physical (done at a local contract facility that does physicals for other companies for employment, etc) if there were any waivers needed I was scheduled with the closest base (Navy hospital in my case) for an evaluation. They didn't even look at my flight physical type issues until my junior year of ROTC after getting a slot. In short, you probably won't know if you're DQ'ed/waivered for sure until much later in the game.

Guest kingnep117

Pretty much the only place flight docs are is where flyers are; I wouldn't call Scott not really an AFB - the airlift/tanker guys might get pissed. I don't know if they will even see you at this point (1 year of HS left) unless you are the child of a military retiree, etc with some existing access to the military healthcare system. When joining ROTC, I was offered the scholarship before my freshman year and did the entry (DODMERB) physical that spring/summer. After the initial physical (done at a local contract facility that does physicals for other companies for employment, etc) if there were any waivers needed I was scheduled with the closest base (Navy hospital in my case) for an evaluation. They didn't even look at my flight physical type issues until my junior year of ROTC after getting a slot. In short, you probably won't know if you're DQ'ed/waivered for sure until much later in the game.

Yea. It may sound weird but our family is in a weird financial situation and it's actually probably going to work out good for me. Im not taking an ROTC scholarship even if I can get one because I might be entitled to a lot of financial aid.

How did you get offered a scholarship that early?

How did you get offered a scholarship that early?

Standard for a 4-year scholarship. Apply winter of your Sr. year I think and then they give you the decision spring-summer before you start the freshman year of college. Recommend checking with afrotc.com or your chosen detachment for more details. If you want to join without a scholarship all you need to do generally is go talk to the ROTC unit and sign up for the appropriate ROTC classes your first semester.

Ya I should do that. I just wish my parents were more enthusiastic about me joining. They will not want to take me to the nearest AFB I can tell you that.

you can't go onto an AFB without a reason to be there anyway. someone has to get you clearance.

Edited by Banken

• 3 weeks later...

You're putting the cart way before the horse here. You're getting worked up about stuff that doesn't matter until you are a frosh in college. I had to have shoulder surgery my senior year of HS after I tore my rotator cuff and labrum (sp?) after I had accepted a scholarship (I was offered a scholarship in August prior to my senior year) and when I contacted my Det about what I needed to do for them, they said they didn't have anything to do with it until I signed the contract, and that doesn't happen until within one week of school starting. The only thing they did for me was fax the paperwork from the doctor to Maxwell instead of me mailing it because that got it more attention and got it pushed through faster than it would have had I mailed it.

Basically what I am saying is that nothing matters until you are enrolled in AFROTC your freshman year. Until that point, they don't have anything to do with you. Just keep doing what you are doing, apply for the scholarship and whatnot, enroll in the program, and worry about it then. They will help you get waivers if you need them, just hold on until then.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i understand. But why im trying to get at is should I take myself off the medication now? I have a little more than a year until ROTC. If I show up there still on the meds they will want to see that I can perform academically well without it just like the ADD.

Don't know about the ROTC process (I'm going the OTS route) but in order to pass any of the AF flying class physicals (i.e. FC1) then you will need to have been off the meds for at least 12 months. And actually, I'd assume that would also be the case for your DoD physical, as the same 12 month thing rang true for me with the pre-comissioning physical at MEPS. The largest factor in determining your waiverability is WHY you were on the meds. Have all the documentation/records that your doctor can provide, and it would also be a good idea to have your treating physician write a letter describing your case and give their professional opinion as to whether or not it will be a lasting issue that would have an effect on your military duties. Also you might want to check out the AF Waiver Guide (you can google it) for further insight. Good luck!