Vacation Advice: China

Krypto

My wife and I are looking to take a trip to China. Anyone have any personal experiences about good places to visit or recommendations for travel companies/websites to use? Anyone ever have trouble getting a visa when the military occupation comes up? Bad experiences, good experiences, funny stories all welcome...

thanks!

Hong Kong and Macau are musts if you have the time and funds to venture outside the mainland. I was just there this past summer prior to EAD and Hong Kong was amazing. It's like the UK but with Chinese signs and minus the Euro. Macau used to be a Portuguese colony so signs are still in Portuguese and there's a lot to see.

Anybody have trouble with the visa/military/security clearance?

Does transiting between the mainland and Macau/Hong Kong require anything special on the visa? In other words, is that considered a separate entrance/exit to the country?

How was getting by without knowing Chinese? Did most of you stay with a guide for the majority of it? I'm not normally one to get into the touristy thing and be the awkward group with cameras all the time, but it seems like this is one of those situations where you can't avoid it.

How was getting by without knowing Chinese? Did most of you stay with a guide for the majority of it? I'm not normally one to get into the touristy thing and be the awkward group with cameras all the time, but it seems like this is one of those situations where you can't avoid it.

My wife speaks fluent Cantonese so that wasn't an issue. We mostly stuck with the guide for most of the time, not normally how we do it either but our guide was pretty good.

Beijing has everything (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tienamen Square, etc.) if you only have the time/money to go to one place. My wife and I got a guide and a driver, plus hotel and great meals for every meal for about $800 total. That obviously doesn't cover the plane trip there. Having a guide and a driver was amazing, never had to worry about how to from one place to the next or backtracking. We'd walk all the way through one place and the driver would be waiting on the other side to take us to the next place.

Guest Barbarian

For the other side of the story, I also reccomend Taiwan. Taipei isn't all that exciting but has some good stuff to do and the southern part of the island is all about eco-tourism.