Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

• 1 month later...

Has anybody had any good experiences with the veterinary clinic on base for their pets, or any vets off base? Thank you.

I had a pretty awful experience on base that ended with my cat hissing and pissing itself in the corner while an Army vet tech tried to pick her up with thick rubber gloves. That appointment did not involve the actual vet, who invited me to come back to have "a good experience" when she heard what happened. That second appointment didn't go much better. They didn't seem to know how to handle cats, but they might be much better for dogs. FWIW I've had very normal experiences at other vets not on base at LRAFB.

We took our cat to the Vet down the road from Boyd's. Animal Hospital I think, the one by Sonic Drive-in. They did a god job de-clawing our cat. The place smelled like old animal pee when we picked up our cat.

• Downvote 1

There is no such thing as a "good job declawing a cat." it is equivalent to cutting someone's fingers off at the first knuckle, and if you think they need to be declawed, perhaps you shouldn't have a indoor cat...put it outside and let it keep the claws.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...put it outside and let it keep the claws.

We tried that, except he couldn't survive outside nor wanted to be outside ever. The cat fought to get back inside. Then when inside scratched up some people a couple of times. It was de-claw or put-down because giving away the cat wasn't an option. BTW - it it makes you feel any better it was only the front claws.

Right up your alley

Guest Crew Report

Discussing BBQ in Little Rock with no mention of The Whole Hog?

FAIL

Or The Meat Shoppe in Gravel Ridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some current gouge at LRAFB for a guard dude going TDY for PIQ with my wife. We'd like to stay off base in a house/condo but don't want to fork out any extra $$ to do so. Here is how I understand it: If I can swing a Non-A letter I get $88/day for lodging $56/day for food/beer. If I refuse gov't quarters I only get $34/day for everything. Does this check? What is the best way to track down the mythical Non-A and what areas of town do y'all recommend these days?

If I can swing a Non-A letter I get $88/day for lodging $56/day for food/beer. If I refuse gov't quarters I only get $34/day for everything

Not exactly. Refusing government quarters just means they will only reimburse your lodging and Per Diem up to what it would cost them to keep you on base. I don't remember the exact rates at LR but it sounds like on base lodging is $34 a day...therefore you'd be reimbursed up to that rate. Now if you get a Non-Availability letter your rate will be increased to what is listed on the Non-A, what that rate is just depends on the hotel they are trying to send you to and what the government rate the AF has worked out with them is. (Just because there is a hotel listed on that Non-A does not mean you have to stay there, you can stay anywhere you'd like and be reimbursed up to the listed rate on the Non-A) So if you get a Non-A you have a bigger pot of money to work with to try to score a nice place. But even on $34 bucks a day you should still be able to be reimbursed up to around $1020 ($34 x 30 days), but the catch is that money will only go towards the rent...so you'd have to have utilities and furniture worked into the actual Lease Agreement to be reimbursed for it. Otherwise you will have to pay them out of pocket. Refusing government quarters does not "cancel" your Per Diem. Now back in the day it would have reduced it to the on base Per Diem rate....but if I remember correctly LR went to the new DFAC system last year, which jumped all the prices at the DFACs, and eliminated the reduced on base per diem. But don't quote me on that, you will have to do a little digging for that when you get there. In the end though you will always receive Per Diem no matter if you get a Non-A or not. It's just a matter of what the actual rate will be. The last bit of advice I will give you is don't let them play the "move back on base when we have a room available" game. I have no idea why they try to pull that, but every time I have been to LR they have tried that game with me. Unfortunately they won my PIQ round due to my ignorance, but the JFTR only requires you to check availability once. So if they don't have room when you show up, make sure they gen your Non-A for your entire time there at LR. All in all there are plenty of options. If you have any other questions let me know. Hope this helps!

will only go towards the rent...so you'd have to have utilities and furniture worked into the actual Lease Agreement to be reimbursed for it.

FAIL. To fight the Finance shoes your midichlorian count (aka AFI, JFTR, and DoD FMR knowledge) must be higher than theirs.

Reference attached young padawan, and don't spread rumors that screw other people out of money or lead them to jail.

U4131 APARTMENT, HOUSE, OR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE REIMBURSEMENT WHILE TDY

A. General. An apartment, house, or recreational vehicle (includes a mobile home, a camper, a camping trailer, or

self-propelled mobile recreational vehicle) qualifies as lodging. Par. U4129-E applies for lodging with a friend/

relative.

B. Expenses. In determining the daily amount of expense items which do not accrue on a daily basis such as cost

for connection/ disconnection of utilities, dumping fees, shower fees, cleaning charges, monthly telephone use fee,

etc., these expenses are averaged over the number of days the traveler is authorized per diem during the entire TDY

trip. Allowable lodging expenses are:

1. Apartment, house, or recreational vehicle rent;

2. Parking space for the recreational vehicle rent;

3. Appropriate and necessary furniture rental, such as a stove, refrigerators, chairs, tables, beds, sofas,

television, and a vacuum cleaner;

4. Connection, use, and disconnection costs of utilities including electricity, natural gas, water, fuel oil and

sewer charges;

5. Dumping fees;

6. Shower fees;

7. Maid fees and cleaning charges

• 3 months later...
Guest BanjoMan

Question about Little Rock (probably any base really):

I'll be going TDY to Little Rock for initial C-130 Nav course, before heading off to Kirtland (and finally Mildenhall for MC-130Ps). My game plan after reading this topic is to arrive at LR in January (training starts Jan 4) and try and get a Non-A letter or refuse on-base housing and get an apartment off-base. I'd like to live downtown or close to downtown, and I know there are a list of approved off-base apartments, but if I find an apartment not on that list, how does my financial reimbursal work? Will finance need to see a copy of the lease, or will I get the standard perdiem X 30 each month?

I've never heard of this approved list... I've got lots of friends staying lots of different places, including sharing houses with friends PCS'ed here, and getting the standard per diem. Non-A has been more of an issue. They won't give you the letter unless they're legitimately full, so you may have to wait for a Guard weekend to get the letter.

Bottom line, you can stay wherever you want and once you get the non-A, you'll get the per diem.

I'll be going TDY to Little Rock for initial C-130 Nav course, before heading off to Kirtland (and finally Mildenhall for MC-130Ps).

Thanks for your life story.

How does my financial reimbursal work? Will finance need to see a copy of the lease, or will I get the standard perdiem X 30 each month?

At the end if you didn't get a non-A they will reimburse you up to what it would have cost to stay on base. You'll get Meals/Expenditures per diem either way, but it will be significantly less if you don't have a non-A.

Finance may want to see a copy of the lease, but what they NEED to see is a receipt for the amount you paid each month in rent from your rental company.

I'm going to throw this out there for those of you who really want to stay downtown or somewhere else. Staying on base at LRF isn't all that bad, especially when you have to wake up at unearthly hours to make a sim or day flight at the FTU. I ended up staying on base for the last 2 weeks of IP school and it was a pleasure that I had a 3 minute drive to work. You have a really short drive (aka you avoid the atrocity that is 67/167 as well as the ridiculously long lines at the gate) and someone cleans your room everyday. Oh, and navs show earlier than pilots in the FTU.

Guest BanjoMan

Alright, to confirm:

Show up unannounced --> Refusal of Quarters --> Find own Apt anywhere --> Reimbursed partial per diem ($39? 29 lodging + 10 food?)

Show up unannounced --> Non-Availability --> Find own Apt anywhere --> Reimbursed full per diem (something really high, unlikely)

Live on base --> Reimbursed partial per diem and lose BAH (if single)

Does this check? Anyone know partial per diem rate and how's it broken down (lodging vs. food)?