Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Guest Crew Report

Sorry to hear that, I had a great 5 years there.

Was DD there as Sq/CC when you were there? If so, then that's a lie.

Was DD there as Sq/CC when you were there? If so, then that's a lie.

Yes he was, but I chose to have a good attitude; isn't that always the key to having a good assignment? If you're waiting for the AF to give you a perfect boss to start enjoying your job you'll be waiting a long time. I had fun, enjoyed the mission, and moved on to something else that I enjoy even more.

Guest Crew Report

Yes he was, but I chose to have a good attitude; isn't that always the key to having a good assignment? If you're waiting for the AF to give you a perfect boss to start enjoying your job you'll be waiting a long time. I had fun, enjoyed the mission, and moved on to something else that I enjoy even more.

It's not that a bad boss will make you not like your job. A bad boss will make you trying to enjoy your job harder IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Just a nuggets up to guys headed to the Rock for initial or requal anytime in the next 2 years:

The sims here are now officially on a 7 day work week. I've got a sim on saturday & sunday next week. It has to do with the E to H conversions of the WSTs so they can match whats being taught in the 62nd. According to the chief scheduling Lokheed guy, this is around for the next 2 years, at which point they'll probably have to start the H2 and AMP conversions to the WSTs.

Your weekends are F'd!

Guest Crew Report

Just a nuggets up to guys headed to the Rock for initial or requal anytime in the next 2 years:

The sims here are now officially on a 7 day work week. I've got a sim on saturday & sunday next week. It has to do with the E to H conversions of the WSTs so they can match whats being taught in the 62nd. According to the chief scheduling Lokheed guy, this is around for the next 2 years, at which point they'll probably have to start the H2 and AMP conversions to the WSTs.

Your weekends are F'd!

Altus has been doing weekend sims for awhile in the -135 side. The C-17 side I think does them too.

That didn't happen to be the result of a push from the AETC wing CC there, did it? I've heard he has "unapologetically high" standards.

He's an old SAC/Buff driver. Of course he has high standards.

Dammit!

So this has to do with sim availability, rather than syllabus or timeline BS? And is this likely going to be an every weekend occurrence?

I'll be going through the 62nd for initial qual in the next couple of months.

Guest Crew Report

If it's Charlie Zulu, I hope he gets crabs.

I remember when he was a Sq/CC. He sucked then.

Edited by Crew Report

CZ still the wing CC.

They just took down one of the four SIMs for the update, and it took about three months. While they ran SIMs 24 hours, they only occasionally ran on Saturdays, and never on Sundays that I can remember. Not sure why it would take two years, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish updating to the H1 (which the flightline has zero of) and immediately start on the H2. I also thought the AMP Sims were separate in a separate building, but I could be wrong about that.

Not saying, HercDude is wrong, but knowing the Lockheed Scheduler and his attitude and outlook on things, I am a bit more optimistic about the actual running.

Either way, sucks to lose a weekend.

Your weekends are F'd!

We've had saturday/sunday sims for years. And now we have saturday/sunday locals as well. The only way to assure yourself (and your family) that you'll be around on the weekend is to be on leave or in PMCR.

Hi! We are moving to Little Rock to complete pilot training and would like to get some more information about the town, the base, & the overall community. We are currently stationed at NAS-CC and will be moving along with 3 other couples to Little Rock within the next few months. If there is already a feed with this information would you post us in the right direction? If not any information would help! We all have children under 2 and would be looking into spouse events, playgroups, bible studies and daily activities for stay at home mom's with toddlers. Also if anyone has any information about OB/GYN's that are awesome we'd love to know because we're expecting in August!

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

Maggie

Dr Chang at Baptist North Little Rock.

This thread has officially jumped the shark when we are doing OB/GYN referrals...

We've had saturday/sunday sims for years. And now we have saturday/sunday locals as well. The only way to assure yourself (and your family) that you'll be around on the weekend is to be on leave or in PMCR.

Are you talking about Little Rock? Must come in waves then because this is my third time through the school house and I have never flown or sim'd on a weekend. I think I only ever flew on a Friday night once, come to think of it.

Straight out of the pilot scheduler's mouth "this may take 2 years."

As far as I know this doesn't impact the 62nd, but having been in AETC for the last 4 years I can make some predictions:

1) Because the sims are down 50%, the "C-130 Center of Excellence" will not send guys down to the flightline on time

2) AETC will never figure this out, so they will never adjust the flow of guys in to initial or requal

3) AETC will never change the timeline, so the schoolhouse will get backed up, through no fault of their own

4) People will sim/fly weekends to keep output at the same level as input

5) In about 3 years, AETC will pull its head out of its ass, at which point the guys on the line will have figured out how to make things work anyway

6) Someone will tell me to roll my sleves down before beofre I leave work today

But what do I know, I'm just a synical old

So, I'm getting ready to move to Little Rock for PIQ starting next month. I'd seen on this thread that guys had stayed off base in places like downtown Little Rock. I'm interested in doing the same, but everything I've heard on my end is that I HAVE to stay in billeting while I'm there. 6 months in billeting, really? That sounds awful...

How did everyone get around it, or is it possible just to say screw it and get the apartment out of pocket?

You are guaranteed the ability to get a "Refusal of Quarters" which entitles you to something like $34 a day, full per diem. The trick is to try and get a "Non-Availability Letter" from billeting and then you get more...some mythical amount like $60-$80 a day, but people rarely get that here. I've heard a couple who have but also know of someone who tried every Friday for two months to get one and failed.

Bottom Line, you have the right to refuse quarters on base but you will only get $34 a day to compensate you, and that is supposed to be your beer and food money.

That bad?

We were Capt's together, I have dirt on him but have not talked to him in years.

Talked with a guy yesterday that was also stationed with him when he was a Capt.

I'll take the dirt, if you want, now that you have me interested.

Edited by Herk Driver

• 2 months later...

Yes all J PIQ students go to LRAFB on PCS orders. No per diem but you have all your stuff with you, it works out to being basically a normal assignment as a student, similar to your PCS to Randolph or Pcola.