Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Guest pilotpm

Can anybody recommend some good furnished apartments near the base. I have heard bad things about the Links and was hoping for some other options. Any info would be great.

[ 29. July 2005, 16:50: Message edited by: pilotpm ]

The Links really isn't bad. They definitely will not forgive you for being late with the rent. But decent apartments and they were agreeable enough to let me have my pet in the apartment.

Close to base and free golf. Beside you'll only be there five months.

HD

[ 29. July 2005, 14:05: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Guest Jetjock19

I think for a furnished apartment, the links would work. I live in North Little Rock at Foothills apts. and love it to death. Its not furnished, but its nicer and a better area and you are close to everything in NLR.

It's not exactly near the base, but Riverwalk Apartments has worked out really well for me. Clincher is the large pet welcome policy. A 55 lb dog didn't really thrill most of the other apartment complexes.

Other up sides are you're less than 5 minutes from downtown and you're within stumbling distance of Cajun's Wharf (one of the best watering holes around). You've also got a couple of pools in the complex.

Only real downside is the 20-30 minute drive that can easily turn into 45 due to the completely clueless (no exaggeration) drivers in this state. Thankfully, most of the time you're driving against the heavy flow of traffic, and the bad drivers are going the other way.

Honestly, if you're flying completely solo, I'd recommend closer to the base.

Good Luck

PS, apartment's don't come furnished, but the rental stuff is easily afforded.

[ 29. July 2005, 22:57: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Guest Jetjock19

If you thouroughly enjoy getting your car broken into, and living next to the only married couple where you are a part of the relationship because you can hear everything, and you like the occasional cockroach or two, then Oakwood is the place to go. A buddy of mine had his tailgate stolen one night. Come on, who steals a tailgate! If you live there, pack some heat.

Guest Jetjock19

I dont live there, but I have friends that do. I live down the street at Foothills apts. Lakewood is ok. Its a little expensive for its looks. They are older apartments so they arent as nice, but they do. I havent heard anything bad as far as crime. Traffic sucks at rush hour on McCain though. I like foothills cause its nicer and fits the price. a little expensive but alot better. Lakewood works really well with the military, so that is good. hope that helps.

Guest flyindw

I lived there for a few months. It is a good area but had a hell of a time while there. We actually had to move half way through training. We had a few things wrong with our water, they shut if off for a week. Then we got a couple of squirrels in our attic. We kept telling them and telling them until the squirrels finally got into the walls. they weren't very willing to help. they were always nice, or put on a show to be nice. Long story short we moved to the Riverwalk apartments down by the river and it was awesome. We really loved it there. Longer drive but worth it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know anything about McCain Park?

They'll let me apply online, that's a plus for me. But, I don't want to just go there for that if it's gonna turn out to be a $hit hole.

Thought/Advice?

And HD, what do you mean exactly when you say free golf?

BENDY

Guest Navtastic

If you're really wanting to get some free golf time in, don't count on the Links right now. The groundskeepers hosed up and burned the grass right off the greens a few weeks back. The course is closed indef, UFN. Ruins my view....

don't live at lakewood hills on mccain...at least based on my experience. i moved into one of the furnished apartments (couldn't go to the links since i have a dog) and my toilet was broken, the door lock didn't work, the door had a huge gap on the bottom so bugs could have their own entrance, the mailbox key didn't work, the place is overrun with cockroaches and other bugs, and the walk from my parking spot to my apartment gives me flashbacks of hiking up from the upper firstie lot to the sixth floor...i mean, not that long but its pretty bad with 8 grocery bags. on the plus side, the tenant before me left a shirt that says "beer heals all wounds" that apparently the "cleaning crew" didn't catch when they were preparing the apartment. so i think i'll heed that advice while sitting in front of my 19" TV with a 40 in one hand and a can of floral scented RAID in the other declaring war on those "waterbugs" trying to ignore the musty scent coming from the rent-a-couch.

help me.

later.

Guest lovelacm

I'll second the post about Lakewood Hills - I lived there going through CP school, and returned there this Spring during AC Upgrade. Boy, did I make a mistake. Management changed between my trips, and the place took a nose-dive in quality and customer service. It took repeated trips and calls to the management to get simple things fixed, and to hold them to their end of the bargain.

Great location... crappy management.

Cheers!

Linda

• 2 months later...
Guest angrymonkey

How does it work getting paid for lodging, since it's a TDY, Do you have to get the Apartment complex to give you a daily rate receipt for the rent.

Also, is it easier to just pay it all upfront, and then file it in the travel voucher versus using a accrual sheet every month ?

Thanks for the help.

[ 06. December 2005, 20:13: Message edited by: angrymonkey ]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lightninbo

Any UP TO DATE gouge/suggestions on extended stay hotels to stay at while in little rock for a couple months? I hear the castle is nice but it seems like the price is higher then the lodging rate.

Lightninbo

Do yourself a favor and make a reservation at the Razorback Inn on base. The suites are really nice. You get a bathroom, bedroom, and a living room. Its close to the new base gym, chow hall, and school house. Traffic is terrible coming in the front gate in the AM. Some of the finer J'ville hotels have some pretty shady folks hanging around too. Yeah so what if you don't get the $50 bucks in perdiem. You are saving yourself a lotta of hassle in the long run. You are going to be there for 5+ Months. Make sure you fill out the missed meals forms for all the late night sims and early morning flights. It will work out in the long run. How is your search for a NIQ/NMQ slot going???

Guest thegotoguy

Coming from Corpus, to bring your wife or significant other (PC), do you have to have accompanied checked on your TDY orders? How easy or hard is it (with the admin folks) since I understand most do take their spouses with them for this TDY? Thanks for the info!

Guest TheBurt

Residence Inn near McCain Mall, free breakfast, and they also have horse duvers Mon-Thu, shorter cab ride to downtown. Yes, you may have to fight a little traffic getting on base in the morning until you hit the sims and flight line, I just have two words for you: PER DIEM.

Guest lovelacm

I thoroughly agree with you, Burt... but if the Razorback folks aren't full.... and you can't sweet-talk one of the frontdesk clerks... Ugh.

GotoGuy - The only way I kept my BAH was with the Frau on my orders as we were TDY Enroute from KNGP to ETAR... (that's Corpus to Ramstein for you non-ICAO types). That's the way I was able to affoard a nice 1-BR / 1-BA apartment down by McCain in '02. Are they still sendin' you guys to The Rock just TDY out-n-back from Corpus, or what!? If so, it's Not Scottish!

Best of luck. Cheers!

Linda

So, correct me if I'm wrong...

As a single LT, when I finish here at Corpus and I get to the Rock, I can refuse gov't quarters and get a place off base, drawing both the daily per diem from Little Rock AND my BAH from Corpus? I've heard this before. Seems too good to be true.