Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Guest stusakss

Be careful with making an AF paper trail...if you both are in Housing at LRAFB you may LOOSE your BAH, it all depends on how anal the finance people get, or if they even notice. Just something to think about.

Don't give up on billeting. Before I PCS'd in 2005, I was told that the newer (notice I didn't say new) billeting had been transformed from the one room with a shared bath into a living room and bedroom (with the bath in between). Call billeting and find out. If that's true then that isn't so bad compared to what HD is probably remembering from his time there. Things have gotten much more family friendly at the Rock.

If they let you into housing on base, you will lose your BAH at Corpus. The housing office has all that paperwork down pat. However, not sure if they will let you into housing since it is a TDY. Call the housing office, with the privitization and everything else, you never know.

The TLFs are great, but they will not let you stay there if you are TDY (last time I was there). They will not let you keep pets in the TLF or in billeting. You'll have to kennel them or leave with family or friends.

Call the housing office and the billeting office to make sure my info isn't dated. The number for billeting is 501-987-6652 (DSN 731).

[ 28. November 2006, 08:08: Message edited by: Herk Driver ]

Guest Evan Brooke

Yes, we are here on TDY, not en route. You (probably) get a per diem allowance for housing and for food, so that goes towards rent here. Then you will (probably) get a separate BAH for your home of record (Corpus.) You will not lose it if you live on base.

They will let you stay in TLF but they're so high in demand because they're new and nice that you have to make a very early reservation. They're full right now, I think.

We just came from Corpus too But we're Reserve/Guard, so you may check with your unit or someone to see if this is your situation as well.

Guest misfitz

Ok, I called the housing office, and they told me TLF does not take pets. They also said in order for me to have any kind of Tricare coverage, my husband would have to update my information in DEERS, which would cause us to change to Little Rock BAH. Their furnished units are booked through March, if anybody's curious... I forgot to ask about per diem, but I'm guessing he would still receive that.

Guest homewith4

Do not take housing's word on Tricare. Let say you're on VACATION to Little Rock, you will get medical care, but it may be on the economy and not at the Base Clinic/Hospital.

If you know you will need care during the TDY, try to get if dealt with b4 you leave Corpus. But if you have an urgent/emergency situation while in LR, they will not deny coverage. You will need pre-authorization for anything non-emergent.

Originally posted by misfitz:

They also said in order for me to have any kind of Tricare coverage, my husband would have to update my information in DEERS, which would cause us to change to Little Rock BAH.

Negative.

Don't talk tricare with the housing office. When I went through the schoolhouse, my wife had tricare coverage and I was paid my Corpus BAH.

DO NOT listen to the housing officer concerning tricare.

HD

Apples and oranges.

Talk to Housing about housing and talk to Tricare about tricare. Don't mix the two.

"2" on HD posts above. My wife has been with me 4 times TDY to LR. Our experience is the same as Herk Derka's. I was paid Corpus BAH as well, but I wasn't living with my dependents in base housing. That is very normal.

As for BAH, if you are on active duty and not Guard or reserve (since I don't know their rules) and you live in base housing, you will lose your BAH. BAH is provided for the sponsor to provide housing for his/her dependents. When you move into a housing unit on a base, you are no longer entitled to BAH. You will probably not see this reflected in an LES until signing into your PCS base, but I would be very wary of this situation. Little Rock finance will not be the one's that process the travel voucher but they can provide you the info regarding what entitlements you will get with regards to this or you can call the finance guys at Randolph.

I would be highly surprised if you would be paid per diem for lodging, recieve BAH for your last PDS, and be allowed to live in base housing with your dependents. TDY or not.

[ 28. November 2006, 14:13: Message edited by: Herk Driver ]

Guest misfitz

Thanks for all your help. I didn't ask any questions about Tricare when I talked to housing, the woman I talked to was also a military wife and was just trying to give me as much information as she knew from her experience and also what certain friends have gone through. We've pretty much decided to find someone to care for our dog (we'd already decided a while ago to give up our cat) and try billeting or an apartment. Thanks for all your advice, it really helped... there's just so much to think about and sometimes it's really hard to find that straight answer you're looking for...

Originally posted by Herk Driver:

I was told that the newer (notice I didn't say new) billeting had been transformed from the one room with a shared bath into a living room and bedroom (with the bath in between). If that's true then that isn't so bad compared to what HD is probably remembering from his time there.

I've stayed both on and off base at LR. The last time I went, I stayed in the "new" billeting. It sucks. They can "add" on a room and act like it's great all they want too But it's still nothing more than making a turd into a bigger turd.

The billeting is fine for just one person. But believe me that you don't want to even try it if you both are going.

There are plenty of places to stay in LR that allow pets. Sometimes it can get pricey, but start using some internet apartment finders.

Regarding base housing, don't expect it. Since you're not TDY enroute, losing your BAH isn't an issue. If you are getting BAH from Kirtland, you might keep it. I'm not sure what your housing situation is at Kirtland.

For good info on pay at LR, check out the LRAFB schoolhouse guide.

The other thing to remember is if your husband isn't going to slicks, he won't be at LR very long. He'll most likely only go through phase one and two.

You could consider staying at Kirtland and sending him to LR by himself. Then you could keep the dogs and minimize the problems. The downside being you'll be apart for a while. But you're about to start being away from each other plenty, so it might be good practice for you and him.

HD

Guest misfitz
Originally posted by HerkDerka:

But you're about to start being away from each other plenty

Which is exactly why I'd like to make it work to go with him. Believe me, if we'd had any idea all this stuff was even going to be an option, we would not have gotten our dog 8 months ago... :rolleyes:

And staying here in Corpus (we're not at Kirtland, that will be his TDY en route) is definitely another option. Just tryin to get accurate info and weigh the pros and cons.

Guest JerseyGirl

I went with my husband to both Little Rock and Kirtland (though he did a slick tour in between the two)...and I even went to the base clinic at Little Rock for my migraines and was pregnant at Albuquerque and had regular checkups there without it ever being a problem with Tricare or DEERS.

When we were at Little Rock (granted it was 7 years ago), we stayed at those apartments right oustide the gate...yes, they weren't the prettiest, but they took our dog (who has done every move with us, including two overseas moves), they were clean, furnished, and it was just a few months anyway. And like someone mentioned, if he is going straight to Kirtland, I think the time at Little Rock is not that much, certainly less than the 6 months we were there.

Hope this helps.

Guest misfitz
Originally posted by JerseyGirl:

When we were at Little Rock (granted it was 7 years ago), we stayed at those apartments right oustide the gate...yes, they weren't the prettiest, but they took our dog (who has done every move with us, including two overseas moves), they were clean, furnished, and it was just a few months anyway. And like someone mentioned, if he is going straight to Kirtland, I think the time at Little Rock is not that much, certainly less than the 6 months we were there.

He'll be at Little Rock about 20 weeks. We don't know how long Kirtland's gonna be. Do you happen to remember the name of the apts?

Guest JerseyGirl

I wanna say they were the Oakwood apartments...one of the IPs at Corpus told us about them, I think. When we were there, the Links had just opened, so alot of our friends stayed there. But, we had no problems with our place - like I said, it was clean, furnished, close to base, allowed our dog, and relatively inexpensive. It wasn't high class, but it worked for us at that time.

Kirtland was another 6 months for my husband, but he wasn't right out of pilot training, so I don't know if its longer or shorter or the same for you guys. At Kirtland, you definitely want to go through Southwest Suites.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mboles00

I'm attending PIQ at LRAFB and I'm the only student who is PCS here that is not going to be stationed here. Everyone else is TDY and if anyone has information on how I can switch my status to TDY, I would love to here it. My unit isn't much of a help. Thanks

Guest Hydro130

I'm confused.

You are on orders that say you are PCSd to The Rock just just to attend PIQ? I've never heard of such a thing.

Isn't there still a 180-day rule for TDYs before they can even be considered as a possible PCS?

If that's still the rule, I don't see how your unit is getting away with doing that to you. Can the Registrar at The Rock possibly help? Or, at least clarify the rules for you? They ought to be able to do something for you... I dunno, that's a weird one.

Cheers, Hydro

Guest NCaviator

Who have you talked to back at your guard unit?

I would suggest sending an email first to the chief pilot or the head of training at the squadron and let them know. You should be TDY because PIQ is/was SCHEDULED for less than 180 days. BTW even if you stay there longer than 180 days you are still TDY. If you are staying on base keep a record of every day that you miss a meal due to a scheduled event and type it up in a memo format. When you return to your unit and file your final travel voucher you should get $30/day plus a $3 adjustment for everyday you miss an available meal in the dining facility.

Originally posted by Hydro130:

You are on orders that say you are PCSd to The Rock just just to attend PIQ? I've never heard of such a thing.

There were two Guard guys going through Little Rock PIQ with me who had PCSed. Their units didn't want to pay the TDY $$ and somehow got around the aforementioned 180 day rule.

It sucked for them 1) no TDY $$, and 2) each had to get a OPR/training report from the OSS. We all got a training report in leui of the OPR, but they had to get more specifics in their paperwork because of the PCS.

• 2 months later...
Guest ACJ7464
As for BAH, if you are on active duty and not Guard or reserve (since I don't know their rules) and you live in base housing, you will lose your BAH. BAH is provided for the sponsor to provide housing for his/her dependents. When you move into a housing unit on a base, you are no longer entitled to BAH. You will probably not see this reflected in an LES until signing into your PCS base, but I would be very wary of this situation. Little Rock finance will not be the one's that process the travel voucher but they can provide you the info regarding what entitlements you will get with regards to this or you can call the finance guys at Randolph.

I would be highly surprised if you would be paid per diem for lodging, recieve BAH for your last PDS, and be allowed to live in base housing with your dependents. TDY or not.

I can understand the logic you are using in your descriptions, however, with the advent of privatized housing, living on-base is now just a rental that happens to be on-base. 75% of Illinois Dr here at the Rock is PIQ students and their spouses. I can only speak for myself and the experiences of my guard buddies, but we have declined billetting (get $27/day), partial perdiem (since I should be living in billetting), and still receive my Corpus BAH. The housing office has confirmed that this is on the up and up and they offer leases based off your TDY orders.

I can understand the logic you are using in your descriptions, however, with the advent of privatized housing, living on-base is now just a rental that happens to be on-base. 75% of Illinois Dr here at the Rock is PIQ students and their spouses. I can only speak for myself and the experiences of my guard buddies, but we have declined billetting (get $27/day), partial perdiem (since I should be living in billetting), and still receive my Corpus BAH. The housing office has confirmed that this is on the up and up and they offer leases based off your TDY orders.

Didn't think about privatized housing...with that in mind, that makes more sense.

FWIW, just saw where if privatized base housing doesn't stay at a set usage rate that the contractor can offer the housing to civilians from the local community. Am I missing something here?

Guest ACJ7464
Didn't think about privatized housing...with that in mind, that makes more sense.

FWIW, just saw where if privatized base housing doesn't stay at a set usage rate that the contractor can offer the housing to civilians from the local community. Am I missing something here?

This is actually the way the TDY ANG/AFRES guys are getting housing. They have the 6 step priority scale (copied below) and currently they are accepting applications from all 6 priorities. Notice where the Guard/Reserve rate on the scale.

(copied from http://www.littlerockfamilyhousing.com/New...s_priority.htm)

LRFH is now accepting applications from priorities 1-6

Priority:

1. Accompanied AF Personnel

2. Accompanied Personnel (other Svcs) (incl. Title 10 personnel)

3. Unaccompanied Personnel (All Svcs)

4. Federal Service Employee (e.g. traditional GS/WG/Postal employee or Title 32 who is pd as GS)

5. Retired Service Member/Family, Entitlements equal those of A/D members

6. Active Guard & reserve Svc Mbr/Family (e.g. Title 32 who is pd same as regular AD) (not included – traditional guardsmen serving 2 weeks per yr & 1 wkend a month)

Guest Airmail

Hey guys --

Do any of you guys know what's reasonable to expect when waiting for Little Rock PIQ from your Reserve/Guard unit?

I'm transferring later this year from Active duty AETC IP (non-130) to C-130s ANG. The unit is saying they can't request a slot until I sign-in and then it may be 8-10 months after that date before a Little Rock training date comes down. Is this pretty normal?

Thanks!

This has been a hot topic as of lately.

I sat on my ass in Corpus (cool) for five months (not cool) as an AD kid. The guard dudes already had their spots lined up and they were out of there within a couple of weeks.

When I showed up not too long ago at PIQ, there were only 11 in my class, which could have had at least four more. All the admin people on the first day said this had been normal for some time.

Evidently the AF liaison office just got the news a couple of weeks ago when some of the Rock higher-ups rolled into Corpus for a winging. Maybe they'll fix it. Or maybe they'll just leave it wide open for people like you to jump in. Get your unit to go direct to the 714TRS (schoolhouse) and see if there's some immediate openings (not sure if that's possible, but seems like the best way to filter the BS floating around).

Guest ACJ7464
Hey guys --

Do any of you guys know what's reasonable to expect when waiting for Little Rock PIQ from your Reserve/Guard unit?

I'm transferring later this year from Active duty AETC IP (non-130) to C-130s ANG. The unit is saying they can't request a slot until I sign-in and then it may be 8-10 months after that date before a Little Rock training date comes down. Is this pretty normal?

Thanks!

The Ginger is right about the wait time becoming a hot topic for both the OG here at LR and the AF office back in Corpus.

I do not believe that the wait will be that long. Your gaining unit should be able to get one of the overflow slots Ginger talked about, as long as there is enough money to pay the AETC bill. Also depending on your experience and previous MWS you may not have to take the PIQ/MPD course, but a quick qual course for former AC's. We had a KC-10 pilot that transfered to Nashvile start with our PIQ class and quickly move onto sims (he was on the flightline in 5 weeks vs. our 11 week wait.) If I can find out the name of that program I will post it, for your sanity.

Guest Airmail
The Ginger is right about the wait time becoming a hot topic for both the OG here at LR and the AF office back in Corpus.

I do not believe that the wait will be that long. Your gaining unit should be able to get one of the overflow slots Ginger talked about, as long as there is enough money to pay the AETC bill. Also depending on your experience and previous MWS you may not have to take the PIQ/MPD course, but a quick qual course for former AC's. We had a KC-10 pilot that transfered to Nashvile start with our PIQ class and quickly move onto sims (he was on the flightline in 5 weeks vs. our 11 week wait.) If I can find out the name of that program I will post it, for your sanity.

Thanks for the replies guys...Maybe there is some hope that the ANG can cut through the qweep better than AD.

As far as PIQ goes....How long can the average slick guy expect to spend in LR?

Guest ACJ7464
As far as PIQ goes....How long can the average slick guy expect to spend in LR?

My class started academics/sims early Dec., my 1st Fly date was late Feb, back to academics till TAC flying in early May, and grad date is early June. (Man was that a run-on sentance or what!)

What Guard Unit are you heading to? Are they requiring you to complete all three phases?