Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Guest Buzz Killington

Does anyone know why Little Rock C-130 FTU has been changed from a TDY to a PCS recently? Anyone else being forced into this?

Does anyone know why Little Rock C-130 FTU has been changed from a TDY to a PCS recently? Anyone else being forced into this?

Probably because the gaining units were getting sick of paying the per diem. It's not small.

Guest Future C130 Nav

Budget reasons. They ended up chopping up my orders so I went TDY for phase 1 and then came home to just go right back TDY for phases 2 & 3. It's not the answer, but gets around the system. They'll have to get the NGB to send you only for phase 1 and then give you the rest after you get there TDY.

Does anyone know what the best housing option is available then to maximize pay? I will also be PCS instead of TDY to LR. I have a mortgage and will be paying rent somewhere while at LR. It looks like LR family housing LLC, is the best bet as long as a room mate is involved. Brings the cost form 870.00 a month to 435.00 Any suggestions would be much appreciated. JG

Edited by JG130fe

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JeffCav
Probably because the gaining units were getting sick of paying the per diem. It's not small.

There is a long story here.

In the course catalog, the FTU is listed as short enough to be a TDY. In reality, the course is not that short. They did this to avoid having more personnel assigned to LRAFB. In scamming on the catalog side, they made it so that when the orders are made, they are TDY. But, then when the class dates are assigned, the program falls outside of the TDY limits.

So, when finance sees this, they go ballistic. In essence, the unit and the individual are caught in the middle of this no man's land. The solution is to get a SECAF waiver for the course, which has apparently not been done. Or, make it a PCS as it legally should be.

In PCSing, LRAFB now has to up their UMDs to support more people. Something AETC undoubtedly was trying to avoid.

It's obviously a huge disadvantage to the individual due to lost TDY income.

Info is first hand from the chief of training at my squadron.

There is a long story here.

In the course catalog, the FTU is listed as short enough to be a TDY. In reality, the course is not that short. They did this to avoid having more personnel assigned to LRAFB. In scamming on the catalog side, they made it so that when the orders are made, they are TDY. But, then when the class dates are assigned, the program falls outside of the TDY limits.

So, when finance sees this, they go ballistic. In essence, the unit and the individual are caught in the middle of this no man's land. The solution is to get a SECAF waiver for the course, which has apparently not been done. Or, make it a PCS as it legally should be.

In PCSing, LRAFB now has to up their UMDs to support more people. Something AETC undoubtedly was trying to avoid.

It's obviously a huge disadvantage to the individual due to lost TDY income.

Info is first hand from the chief of training at my squadron.

So, what is the requirement for a course to be listed as a TDY? Exactly how long is the course at LRF these days?

So, what is the requirement for a course to be listed as a TDY?

If the course is under 140 days its a TDY... if its over they like to bend you over... especially those of us in the Reserves/Guard :flipoff:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pan130

If a class starts lets say on a Monday would I need to be up there on that previous Friday to inprocess prior to the class starting or do you do it on the Monday class starts? I have to go back through the initial -130 course and it has been a few years since I went through there. Any info on the inprocessing process would be great ASAP please.

If a class starts lets say on a Monday would I need to be up there on that previous Friday to inprocess prior to the class starting or do you do it on the Monday class starts? I have to go back through the initial -130 course and it has been a few years since I went through there. Any info on the inprocessing process would be great ASAP please.

Does the class have a report not later than date (RNLTD)? Most all AETC classes do and I want to say the first day of class is the inprocessing. Some billeting offices work with the school house to check you in as well.

First, call the schoolhouse and ask.

But, typically you have to be there on CSD at the time indicated. Usually, at least it used to be this way, there is a handout at billeting that gives the details of where to be (i.e. Bldg number, time, etc). The first day is an in-processing day and the Beano briefing. You will probably have a full day.

Second, call the schoolhouse and ask. Someone has to have the number, but DSN 731-1110 is the operator, IIRC. Ask for C-130 Student Admin. If the orders don't spell it out, check the AETC school website (https://etca.randolph.af.mil). It will spell out requirements. You start to get into the whole permission vs forgiveness discussion at some point.

Guest Pan130
First, call the schoolhouse and ask.

But, typically you have to be there on CAD at the time indicated. Usually, at least it used to be this way, there is a handout at billeting that gives the details of where to be (i.e. Bldg number, time, etc). The first day is an in-processing day and the Beano briefing. You will probably have a full day.

Second, call the schoolhouse and ask. Someone has to have the number, but DSN 731-1110 is the operator, IIRC. Ask for C-130 Student Admin. If the orders don't spell it out, check the AETC school website (https://etca.randolph.af.mil). It will spell out requirements. You start to get into the whole permission vs forgiveness discussion at some point.

How many people are typically in a ground school class?

(Jerk Driver @ Jul 21 2008, 07:25 PM)

Nice. Nope, never heard that one before. Next time do some f@cking homework and it won't hurt so much. :bash: I guess that number to call the base and the ETCA website so you could do your own homework didn't work out for you. I'll make sure my next post is not quite as helpful.

Oh, I might add that you could go to Baseops.net, specifically Academics and Sims and get a ton of info. Next time, try to do your own work before calling someone out when they give you the info that you need (with a little work). :flipoff:

How many people are typically in a ground school class?

Someone else will have to chime in since my info is dated.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to be changed for TDY status to PCS status while being at little rock?? I'm here for phase 1 now and my unit said that when phase 2 and 3 orders are cut (being over 140 days then) that my status will change. I won't go home or anything just have my status changed. Seems like really getting bent over then because I didn't bring all my shit since I was TDY. Anyone knowledgeable with this?? Thanks

Guest CAVEMAN

Not a C-130 question but I think fits into the whole PCS/TDY thing. For those of us that have homes and families(dependent), how does flight school work particularly for the Guard and Reserve folks. If wife and kids want to stay at home and not move around from base to base, could you have your home unit write orders stating that. I know flight school is over 180 days and therefore would be considered a PCS. Also, do you get BAH for your home of residence as a Guard/Reserve folk while going through the gauntlet.

I know the SEARCH functions work but I am lazy !!

Not a C-130 question but I think fits into the whole PCS/TDY thing. For those of us that have homes and families(dependent), how does flight school work particularly for the Guard and Reserve folks. If wife and kids want to stay at home and not move around from base to base, could you have your home unit write orders stating that. I know flight school is over 180 days and therefore would be considered a PCS. Also, do you get BAH for your home of residence as a Guard/Reserve folk while going through the gauntlet.

I know the SEARCH functions work but I am lazy !!

For this topic the search button dosn't help at all... You get a bunch of old threads that go back and forth on what happens to the Guard and Reserve folks while they are on AD for training. Some claim that there is a waiver, other says its in the pay and travel regs, but no one can produce proof of being able to retain your BAH while your gone, unless your married (then sopposedly you get BAH for both locations). I'm waiting to go to school and have been fighting an uphill battle from day one on this. I've read every reg i can find and for a while there I think I could quote specific sections from the JTFR.

As it sits right now (for me) I will be paying for two homes (apartment or Gov housing (no bah) AND my house at my HOR while I'm away at school (this is why I posted what I did a couple posts up). Finance actually told me "Sir, you should just sell your house and then buy another one when you come home." :rainbow::bash::rainbow:

Edited by JL

Guest CAVEMAN

I can understand selling my house if the market was good. You probably could not even get your house sold even if you wanted to. The market is upside down for the sellers. The way the Reserve/Guard thing should work, is that you should be asked whether or not you want to move your household. Since you are going to be bouncing around the country, no one can force you to put your family through that. You should be treated as a geo-bachelor and paid BAH(your duty location rate) and per-diem(your duty location) ,but no unit wants to foot that bill.

I can understand selling my house if the market was good. You probably could not even get your house sold even if you wanted to. The market is upside down for the sellers. The way the Reserve/Guard thing should work, is that you should be asked whether or not you want to move your household. Since you are going to be bouncing around the country, no one can force you to put your family through that. You should be treated as a geo-bachelor and paid BAH(your duty location rate) and per-diem(your duty location) ,but no unit wants to foot that bill.

Amazingly, my unit has a couple people away at school right now in the exact same position that I will be in. They think its rediculous but no one, and I mean no one; not even finance, can tell us a way to get around it (even if it ment the unit had to fund it).

My original goal was to keep my BAH for my HOR and live in Gov quarters (assuming there was space) but everyone I talk to see it as "well your going to be on active duty, so the active duty rules apply" ie PCS for training over 140 days. In the 6 years that I've been in the only time I have not recieved BAH was while I was at Basic and Tech School... and now I hear that if your Guard/Reserve you can actually get BAH while your there if you own your house (waiting for verification on this from my bro whos there right now).

Anyone got any other ideas about how to not quite get screwed in this whole mess?

Guest CAVEMAN

In times like this, jumping the chain works greatly. I know everyone will jump at me for this. But that is the only way to get results. Unless your commander jumps into someones a$$ about your issue, believe you me, finance will drag their feet and basically do nothing. That is what I am planning on doing. Depending on who goes first, I will let you know the outcome.

Guest CAVEMAN

You are the man. I do not plan to PCS during UPT. Is there a form number for this hardship form you are talking about. That will surely help me when I am describing it to the finance folks. I can ask for 52 weeks and when that is running out, I can ask for extension or submit another application.

The beauty of online forum !!

Thanks AV8RAHL :thumbsup:

This is a complete Thread Jack, but it is possible to receive BAH at your home station rate and stay in a Government Dorm without losing your BAH. There is a waiver, I talked to the person in charge of it at the Pentagon, that you can be on, not to exceed 52 weeks and one duty station, that will allow you to receive BAH and COLA at your home unit location. It's a hardship waiver that has to be approved. However, if you have to PCS during the 52 week period, the waiver is done, such as Phase 3 at Corpus Christi. I know all of this because I was on it for the past 6 months.

Just got it confirmed, they are letting enlisted Guard going through Basic and Tech school receive BAH as long as you have a mortgage or a lease in your name. Still trying to get info on the O-side of things but I would be amazed if it doesn't apply to both.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone give me any info for NAV IQ at Little Rock?

Specifically for someone who's gonna go to Kirtland after finishing up at the rock... like how long I can expect to be there since I'm not doing the "long program" and what I'll be doing in the phase(s) I'll be in (a general overview)

Guest AFBaron25
Can anyone give me any info for NAV IQ at Little Rock?

Specifically for someone who's gonna go to Kirtland after finishing up at the rock... like how long I can expect to be there since I'm not doing the "long program" and what I'll be doing in the phase(s) I'll be in (a general overview)

You'll be there about 4 months. Maybe longer since Little Rock is big on running behind. I graduated about 3 weeks late when I was there. There are 3 phases but you'll only do phase 1 and 2 (you won't do the formation phase). Phase 1 is high level/overwater/Dead Reckoning procedures. Pretty much a bunch of log work. In phase 2 you'll do your tactical low level and airdrops. You'll have 1 checkride in each phase. There are a bunch of academic tests (usually about 1 a week) but they're nothing to worry about.

You'll be there about 4 months. Maybe longer since Little Rock is big on running behind. I graduated about 3 weeks late when I was there. There are 3 phases but you'll only do phase 1 and 2 (you won't do the formation phase). Phase 1 is high level/overwater/Dead Reckoning procedures. Pretty much a bunch of log work. In phase 2 you'll do your tactical low level and airdrops. You'll have 1 checkride in each phase. There are a bunch of academic tests (usually about 1 a week) but they're nothing to worry about.

Sweet! Thanks...that's exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah I keep getting told that graduating late is the norm, so I'm expected my other dates to get jacked up as a result...