Prior enlisted (O1E) info (points, pay)

Was just wondering if anyone knew if coming in as an O1E was based on points or time in service... I have been in for almost 6 years but i am a DSG so i dont have a whole lot of points under my belt, my guess is its points any one know for sure?

Guest Black Baron

For Guard members it is based on points and years of service, which ever you qualify for.

Directly from the 2009 military pay chart:

Applicable to O-1 to O-3 with at least 4 years and 1 day of active duty or more than 1460 points as a warrant and/or enlisted member. See Department of Defense Financial Management Regulations for more detailed explanation on who is eligible for this special basic pay rate.

If you have only been a traditional and never deployed, you are looking at about 12 years before 0-1E pay kicks in.

I had 7.5 in a traditional and I only had about 960 points. Sucks now, but you're only missing out on about $127 a month, (depending on how much time you have in)

Go to AF portal to find out you're points. Go to your Ripp.

Edited by Black Baron

Can you change from O1 to O1E if you hit the points mark? Or are you just stuck at whatever you start with?

If you look at Black Baron's post, you needed 4 years or 1460 AD points as a Enlisted or Warrant officer. Once you commission (O-1) you are no longer accruing enlisted time, so you wont get the 1460. When they calculated mine, they only counted certain types of the points on your points summary sheet. I had reverted from a 2LT to WO for an 18 month deployment, which put me over the top. If "they" have the opportunity, "they" are going to do what is fiscally advantageous for "them."

Guest AirTime

I believe OTS/AMS counts as AD Time. I know some people served exactly 4 years AD and then went to OTS and they counted that as AD time which warranted E pay.

• 2 months later...
Guest scooney

which are the "points" that they look for. There are a number of different points on my rip, like the 15 that you get for a "good" year, points for doing 5 level and als, etc.

Guest flyguysteve

I have a question along this same line... If not eligible for O-1E, is your O-1 pay calculated on your years in service or AD time? I am a 7.5 year E-6 (AGR) which I just got hired into two months ago. My career in the ANG has been primarily Traditional with annual tours and a few TDY's. I only have a little over a year of AD time. I am putting in for this year's OTS 10OT03 board and my recruiter believes I would go in as an O-1 (>2 years). Any insight?

I am being paid as an E-6 (6+ years) AGR right now and thought that I would take those years in service into AD.

Guest jerseybum

I have a question along this same line... If not eligible for O-1E, is your O-1 pay calculated on your years in service or AD time? I am a 7.5 year E-6 (AGR) which I just got hired into two months ago. My career in the ANG has been primarily Traditional with annual tours and a few TDY's. I only have a little over a year of AD time. I am putting in for this year's OTS 10OT03 board and my recruiter believes I would go in as an O-1 (>2 years). Any insight?

I am being paid as an E-6 (6+ years) AGR right now and thought that I would take those years in service into AD.

Yeah you'll be O-1 with 6+, it's time in service.

Guest flyguysteve

Yeah you'll be O-1 with 6+, it's time in service.

Thanks Jersey,

That's what I got from base finance too... They still had me calculate my financial eligibility for O-1 <2. :-/ Not a big deal right off the bat, but as you progress to O-4 and higher... having 8 more years makes a big difference!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've got nearly 10 years TIS in the ANG. After some activation time and alot of flying as a Loadmaster, here is my point breakdown. I am asking because I have been selected for a CSO/Navigator position and am curious if I will receive O-1E pay...

I know the breakdown is 4 years or 1460 points. Is this just Active Duty points or retirement points?

Currently my vMPF records states this:

AD (Active Duty points): 1226 points

IDT (Inactive Duty for Training points): 448

ECI (Extension Course Institute- PME points): 55

MBR (Membership in Guard points): 135

Retirement: 1792

Total: 1864

The pay chart says "Active Duty Points" but I'm curious, does this mean ONLY active duty or does it mean total retirement points that include Active Duty, Inactive Duty for Training, PME (ECI) and Membership points?

For active duty alone, I'm just shy by a few months but if its a total of retirement points, etc, I'm good. I'm obviously asking because of the pay difference.

My rational is this... say you enlisted for 4 years and your tech school was 9 months. Technically you would have 3.25 years of AD points and .75 years of IDT points. If the answer is purely AD points, I don't see how anyone on a 4 year AD enlistment would have "4 years and 1 day" of points that matter when it comes to being paid as an O-1E.

Thanks!

Edited by LoadClear

I commissioned back in 04 so things probably changed some since then, but at that time it was AD points only. I know of one guy who says all his points counted but I'm not real confident that he understood what points were counting. I've looked into that all points scenario several times since that would have helped me get the E pay but no luck there. My suggestion if you really want the E pay is to just try and soak up that last couple of months if you can get it.

My rational is this... say you enlisted for 4 years and your tech school was 9 months. Technically you would have 3.25 years of AD points and .75 years of IDT points. If the answer is purely AD points, I don't see how anyone on a 4 year AD enlistment would have "4 years and 1 day" of points that matter when it comes to being paid as an O-1E.

Thanks!

No, if you're active duty your AD since day 1, even through Tech school.

Your IDT points are for your drills, no?

I think only the AD points count.

IDT points, I believe are from drills and flying AFTPs as a Loadmaster.

Racking up another 200 points before AMS is probably not doable unless they don't send me to AMS till next year sometime. I'm finishing up my Masters degree right now and can't volunteer for a long deployment or anything until I graduate in December. If it ends up being next year, I'll just guard bum as a Loadmaster as much as possible or see what the MPF has to say about AD vs. retirement points. The reg seems pretty cut and dry when it says Active Duty points but as you can imagine, its certainly a difference in a pay as I've got 10 years in. When I get a definitive answer, I'll be sure to post it up for anyone else interested. Thanks.

IDT points, I believe are from drills and flying AFTPs as a Loadmaster.

Racking up another 200 points before AMS is probably not doable unless they don't send me to AMS till next year sometime. I'm finishing up my Masters degree right now and can't volunteer for a long deployment or anything until I graduate in December. If it ends up being next year, I'll just guard bum as a Loadmaster as much as possible or see what the MPF has to say about AD vs. retirement points. The reg seems pretty cut and dry when it says Active Duty points but as you can imagine, its certainly a difference in a pay as I've got 10 years in. When I get a definitive answer, I'll be sure to post it up for anyone else interested. Thanks.

Good luck, I fought that fight for about 4 years and finally just said to hell with it. I'm AD now so wasn't working through the guard. Plus side is I start out topped out at each pay grade.

Good luck, I fought that fight for about 4 years and finally just said to hell with it. I'm AD now so wasn't working through the guard. Plus side is I start out topped out at each pay grade.

Good point. Ill fight it if its looking good. If not, its about $500 difference at 10+ years. We shall see!

Edited by LoadClear

I'm in class with a guy right now who's points ALL counted towards his O1-E pay... I, sadly, was 90 points shy but was also told that all my points counted.

I'm in class with a guy right now who's points ALL counted towards his O1-E pay... I, sadly, was 90 points shy but was also told that all my points counted.

Guard, Reserve, or Active? Someone could be just helping a bro out up at MPF. They pulled the reg out and read me paragraph by paragraph on more than one occasion. Good on him if he got under the radar. Nothing more frustrating than giving 10 years (4 of that as a technician) and only getting a couple a years credit. If someone could come up with regs that say otherwise that would be a good chunk of change in back pay.

Edited by POKESC17

• 9 months later...
Guest airsomers

Good info guys,

Also, anyone have any ideas on the easiest way to accrue the difference prior to AMS? I'm about 200 points shy and also realize that I'll still accrue points while in AMS too. Any tips on earing the difference (especially tough since no deployments are planned)? An AGR slot also doesn't look promising at this time.

Good info guys,

Also, anyone have any ideas on the easiest way to accrue the difference prior to AMS? I'm about 200 points shy and also realize that I'll still accrue points while in AMS too. Any tips on earing the difference (especially tough since no deployments are planned)? An AGR slot also doesn't look promising at this time.

volunteer for TDYs, TACC is youre unit is getting them, maybe put in for a PME in residence course if you're do. not sure how much time you have to log those 200 points. depending on your AFSC, it could be tough or very easy.

which are the "points" that they look for. There are a number of different points on my rip, like the 15 that you get for a "good" year, points for doing 5 level and als, etc.

I'm also curious about this. Didn't see your question answered. I'm sitting at about 2,000 "retirement points" but some of these points are 5 level, good years, some are AD for Training, some are title 32, others are title 10. I've been doing TACC orders the last 6 months or so, on and off, and I'll have to check my point summary but I'm sitting at about the right amount as far as AD goes but with 10 years of ANG points and PME, I'm well over. Anyone?

• 5 years later...

So in PCARS I'm seeing 5 different kinds of points.. AD, IDT, ECI, IDS, and MBR.

Which of these counts points count toward the 1460 points required for O1E? In the DOD Financial Management Regulation (p1-12) it looks like all points that count for retirement (ie, all of the them) count toward O1E as well, NOT just AD points.

1. General. Commissioned officers with over 4 years of prior active service as an enlisted member, warrant officer, or combined service in both grades are entitled to count such service for purposes of computing basic pay for longevity purposes. Such prior service includes all active service, in either the Regular or Reserve Component or both (i.e., active duty for training in enlisted or warrant officer status, annual Reserve training duty, and full-time National Guard duty). Service on active duty or active and inactive duty for training for at least 4 years and 1 day satisfy the over 4 years of service requirement under this section.

5. 10 U.S.C. § 12732(a)(2) service as a warrant officer and/or enlisted member are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E. Creditable Service for Certain Reserve Commissioned Officers. Effective January 1, 2002, commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, and O-3 who are paid from funds appropriated for Reserve personnel and credited with 1,460 points for retirement computed under

What do you guys think?