I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

We had a guy who had the LED belt buckle on his reflective belt...he was directed to stop wearing it because he was "mocking the policy".

Damn, then I guess this won't work. I was on the way back from another TDY and saw this in the Sky Mall catalog. I thought it would be the perfect accessory for an "Undisclosed Location." Its made for bikes, but could work as a bandoleer/belt.

post-3269-0-28476200-1306814268_thumb.jp

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203679009&c=10811&v=&ruleId=929,934&cm_sp=Recommend-_-YMAL-_-ProductPage

Edited by SuperWSO
  • Upvote 1

They should just issue us bedazzled flight suits and call it good. No reason you can't be safe AND fabulous at the same time! Plus it will show sensitivity to the recent repeal of DADT.

• Upvote 1

OK Ladies and Gents....the "I hate Reflective Belts" page is about to be archived due to not enough activity. Here's the official word from Facebook.

"Over the next few months, Facebook will be archiving all groups created using the old groups format. When this group is archived, its wall posts, photos and discussion threads will move to the new groups format, but group members will need to be re-added."

I'd love to keep this group going without having to have everyone readd themselves when the group gets moved. However, there's only one way to do that. You guys gotta go to the page, get your friends, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, girlfriends, and siginificant others to post enough on the wall so that the group gets pushed without deleting the 33,799 members.

Help spread the word. I'll do my best to keep checking on it, but it's PCS time, so my ability will be limited.

Please help out a good cause. Thanks and have a great summer.

Reflective belts are now mandatory 24/7 at a certain AMC base in California. Indefinitely.

This comes on the heels of 3 DUIs this Memorial Day weekend, including one that resulted in a 60 year old civilian man dying because of a drunken Airman behind the wheel.

I'm not quite sure how wearing reflective belts helps to prevent another DUI, though. And I really don't think the family will feel better knowing the base is wearing them as punishment, either. I guess perception really is more important than reality.

Reflective belts are now mandatory 24/7 at a certain AMC base in California. Indefinitely.

This comes on the heels of 3 DUIs this Memorial Day weekend, including one that resulted in a 60 year old civilian man dying because of a drunken Airman behind the wheel.

I'm not quite sure how wearing reflective belts helps to prevent another DUI, though. And I really don't think the family will feel better knowing the base is wearing them as punishment, either. I guess perception really is more important than reality.

I visited said base today and couldn't figure out why so many people were wearing their reflective belts everywhere, at all hours of the day. The SSgt in line at the food court didn't know either, but wasn't wearing hers because she's "from a tenant unit."

So are the feelings of ill will towards the reflective belt being redirected by leadership to make it a "scarlet letter" for group punishment?

Also, does it make me old-fashioned to think that the reflective belt's main purpose is to make the wearer visible on the flight line at night? That was their sole purpose when I came in...

So are the feelings of ill will towards the reflective belt being redirected by leadership to make it a "scarlet letter" for group punishment?

Yep. The official verbiage was along the lines of "When you put on your reflective belt, I want you to reflect on the lives lost and ruined by driving under the influence".

I'm sure it'll work, too... I'm sure when the guys now push it up they'll think back to these trying times of wearing disco belts and call a cab, instead of thinking they're bulletproof and getting behind the wheel.

Makes perfect sense.

This includes blues too...which as mentioned earlier seems against regs. The base USAFA Ops AF POC even called me today to see if the Sq had extra belts to hand out to the cadets. These cadets, some of whom are over 21, are forbidden from drinking at all while here. Even heard rumors of G.O. #1 being on the table for the whole base.

This includes blues too...which as mentioned earlier seems against regs. The base USAFA Ops AF POC even called me today to see if the Sq had extra belts to hand out to the cadets. These cadets, some of whom are over 21, are forbidden from drinking at all while here. Even heard rumors of G.O. #1 being on the table for the whole base.

If this is the base I think it is, there is an individual in the leadership there that implemented that exact policy post-9/11 in his squadron at a major overseas base in Germany. There was an Art 15 that came about as a result of a violation of this policy during that time as well.

Same thing happened at LRAFB this past fall. UFB

I'm not quite sure how wearing reflective belts helps to prevent another DUI, though.

Was the old man wearing a reflective belt when he was hit? Probably not.

We're talking about saving lives here!

See, makes sense now doesn't it?

Guest Crew Report

If this is the base I think it is, there is an individual in the leadership there that implemented that exact policy post-9/11 in his squadron at a major overseas base in Germany. There was an Art 15 that came about as a result of a violation of this policy during that time as well.

Not the same guy.

Was the old man wearing a reflective belt when he was hit? Probably not.

We're talking about saving lives here!

See, makes sense now doesn't it?

Sort of.

However, his reflective belt was on back order because belts are bought with the O&M pot of money, and that was emptied to provide more B.I.T. training for our warfighting customers.

If you had read the minutes (or at least the BLUF part) from the CGO or rising 6 meeting you would've known that.

I'm glad I PSC'd. I'd like to hear the plan on how they were going to enforce G.O. #1 out of the AOR. You'll probably have to wear your reflective belts in civilian clothes to remind yourself that G.O #1 is in effect. :rainbow:

If WWII had been fought today...

Sixty-seven years ago today Allied forces landed in Normandy and suffered terrible casualties through the fierce fighting against the Nazi defenders. Over the next several weeks the beaches that had been once stained with American blood, were occupied by an entirely different type of invasion - the invasion of the shoes.

post-1551-0-45401700-1307422867_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I visited said base today and couldn't figure out why so many people were wearing their reflective belts everywhere, at all hours of the day. The SSgt in line at the food court didn't know either, but wasn't wearing hers because she's "from a tenant unit."

Also, does it make me old-fashioned to think that the reflective belt's main purpose is to make the wearer visible on the flight line at night? That was their sole purpose when I came in...

Why is the base being kept a secret?

Guest Crew Report

Why is the base being kept a secret?

It's hard to figure out what base in California is in AMC?

One of my motorcycle riding troops got told at the gate today here in sunny Cannon, that the extra reflective belt around his back-back no longer cut the mustard. The "new" requirement is that the horrible dark spot covering your back will now warrant it's own entire and full up reflective VEST.

Someone just got a OPR bullet for improving the safety of the Motorcycle Safety Program.

WTF man...seriously? If you don't see me based on the vest I'm wearing, the RB on my backpack, and the tail/brake lights on my bike, you probably weren't gonna see me anyways. There's always a risk when you ride of drivers just being dumb and not looking for you, but extra reflectivity usually isn't the silver bullet for mitigating that risk.

You're right. It's like smoking...there would be an uproar if you outright banned it (which commanders could do), but they want to make it so inconvenient that people give it up and therefore eliminate the risk altogether.

One of my motorcycle riding troops got told at the gate today here in sunny Cannon, that the extra reflective belt around his back-back no longer cut the mustard. The "new" requirement is that the horrible dark spot covering your back will now warrant it's own entire and full up reflective VEST.

Someone just got a OPR bullet for improving the safety of the Motorcycle Safety Program.

Standard @ Moody for the last 3 years. Retarded to say the least. I just don't go to the gym on days that I ride.

The appearance of safety is all that matters.