I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

Thousands of Facebook users have joined a group called “I Hate Reflective Belts” to protest and mock an Air Force requirement that airmen wear reflective belts during hours of darkness. Air Force Times reporter Michelle Tan has more details on our FlightLines blog, as well as a couple of amusing photos from the site.

I didn't join the Facebook group to protest wearing reflective belts during hours of darkness.

I joined because senior AF leadership has lost its god damned mind and apparently consider lack of reflective belt a legitimate reason to deny people food. I joined because I (a CGO) have personally argued with SNCOs who wanted me to wear my reflective belt INDOORS in order to be a good example for my troops. I joined because we've completely lost perspective in the AF about what matters. I joined because I'm a REMF surrounded by REMF tool bags who serve no purpose in the AF...

Edited by Scooby

Been a member for a while, but just sent out 50 requests. Amazing how many friends are already members. It would be in the 70's had my fellow squadron members weren't already there. Viva La Resistance!

The tools are out in force on the blog site for comments. Please take a minute and try to set them on the path to enlightenment. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/flightlines/2009/11/01/hate-reflective-belts/

P.S. 6,996 and counting again. Here's to 10,000 by next payday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock::beer::rock::beer::rock::beer:

In their defense, they are rendering a salute. Therefore, if that airplane took a hard right 90 degree turn and then continued taxiing forward for 69 seconds and had break failure, each person would only have a few precious minutes to make personal decision between breaking rank and running for their life or dying via Indiana Jones method. Because nobody died immediately after, we can safely say that less that $30 of reflective technology saved 12+ lives on the ground, an aircrew and several million dollars in Air Force Assets.

Please take a minute and try to set them on the path to enlightenment.

Sorry, I can't argue with idiots. Some of the comments on there are so ignorant. People who have never deployed or left the service 15 years ago just have no idea how bad things really are and think we're just "complainers." Can't argue with stupid, anyone who tries to justify the level of absurdity the AF is currently engaged in is just not worth my time. Good on you for fighting the good fight.

I think more people need to email the address listed in the AF times article and post on that blog. For no other reason than to clarify the reasoning as to why so many people have a problem with this reflective belt obsession - not because of the ass-pain or the disclipine involved, but because of the loss of mission focus. Worth writing a letter or a post on a blog if you ask me, because eventually this overy-cautious, overly-stupid mindset is going to get someone hurt.

Just got forwarded a copy of this email from a First Shirt to "AUAB First Shirts." Names and units xx'ed out:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:49 PM

To: xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx/CC

Subject: FW: Check this out

May want to check this link out.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:58 PM

To: AUAB First Sergeants

Subject: Check this out

Fellow Shirts,

This is out of control. Still getting push back from different angles.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/flightlines/2009/11/01/hate-reflective-belts/

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx, SMSgt, USAF

First Sergeant, xxxxx xxxxx

--------------------------

For those who don't want to argue with idiots on this blog, I suggest you reconsider and takethe time to post concise, valid, and mature arguments against the stupidity ofthe reflective belt debacle in the very near future. I have NO doubts that by tonight(middle-east time), the blog on the militarytimes website will be viewed by numerousgenerals and colonels at the Deid, if it has not already been viewed.

This is either going to end in one of two ways - like Prohibition, with thedumb-ass laws being tweaked back or repealed all together, or like Tiananmen Square, with hundreds of non-reflective beltwearing Deiders getting sent to the gallows and the rebellion being crushed. Either way, it should beinteresting.

4 Fans, Just out of curiosity, has your leadership discovered that you are the "Leader" of this group yet, and if so, what have the results been. Just wondering... I would hope they would be members of IHRB too, but ya never know.

4 Fans, Just out of curiosity, has your leadership discovered that you are the "Leader" of this group yet, and if so, what have the results been. Just wondering... I would hope they would be members of IHRB too, but ya never know.

Discus....Have no idea. I've been TDY for about 6 weeks and totally out of pocket with the squadron. I'm on leave this week and won't get back to work until Mon. The best thing is now I'm attached, so might not be seen that much.

I have a bunch of friends in the squadron that are all members, and that was what I originally had intended for this group. Just a bunch of squadron mates that had a similar hatred. Never expected to have this go "viral"

And a PS on the ugly side. I just got a message from a guy claiming to have been given an LOR for his posting on the group. Apparently some people at his squadron saw it. Don't know that I totally believe it, but just thought I'd share.

Edited by capt4fans

I would encourage people (particularly on Facebook) to watch what they say. Don't forget that we're protesting official AF policy.

Retarded policy but still official...

I can understand not bad-mouthing leadership (or lack thereof) but the protest of a clearly asinine policy should be fair game.

On another note, it's funny how the DoD as a whole as recently begun to embrace the social networking sites (facebook, you tube, twitter, etc) but do you think they ever saw something like this coming? I'm wondering how they feel about it now and what they'll do about it...if anything.

weak.

I'm fairly certain that, as a commissioned Officer, I/we can get in some serious shit by basically calling our senior leadership retarded.

I'll post my comments here (and completely ignore the policy for both me and my 100 person flight) but I definitely won't have something permanent like a Facebook comment with my name next to it. The internet isn't as anonymous as some people think...

I can understand not bad-mouthing leadership (or lack thereof) but the protest of a clearly asinine policy should be fair game.

On another note, it's funny how the DoD as a whole as recently begun to embrace the social networking sites (facebook, you tube, twitter, etc) but do you think they ever saw something like this coming? I'm wondering how they feel about it now and what they'll do about it...if anything.

I am still convinced that the military is going to ban social networking for military members. It is absolutely impossible to control OPSEC anymore.

I'm fairly certain that, as a commissioned Officer, I/we can get in some serious shit by basically calling our senior leadership retarded.

If you truly hate the asinine policy, then stand up and be counted. If you're making an honest statement of your opinion about reflective belts on a private website, no body can touch you. Just don't openly criticize leadership and/or policy and you'll be fine.

I am still convinced that the military is going to ban social networking for military members.

What? If you're talking about DOD networks, then that's already be done, with the exception of the Army. But if you're talking about banning military members from social sites accessed on their own personal internet, that I say good luck Big Blue. It's not going to happen.

Airmen can’t be punished for posting their views on the page because it is a freedom of speech issue under the First Amendment, Stefanek said.

But Air Force officials said airmen can be admonished or face nonjudicial punishment for not wearing the belts when required.

I guess that means people are free to press on with the comments

Edited by Dubs

From the article..."'It makes sense. It’s the law,' said Staff Sgt. Dagoberto Ramirez."

And this guy is an NCO :banghead:

Although many of the airmen interviewed weren’t wearing their safety belts, they certainly were packing ’em.

“It makes sense. It’s the law,” said Staff Sgt. Dagoberto Ramirez.

I assumed (probably wrongly) that he was referring to having the RB makes sense, but not necessarily having it on. I base that on the sentence just before his quote.