I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

I hope you mean the OPR bullet for Discus when he gets the policy revoked, not the OPR bullet for some JAG Col when Discus is court-martialed for talking to the press.

No I don't mean Discus at all... I mean the people in the combat shoe force who would love to destroy the revolution and replace the current policy with something x1000 :rainbow: are probably chompin at the bit right now

(if this makes no sense I apologize... it's f*cking early and I have no desire to be awake right now)

Edited by Dubs

I was checking out the facebook page and out of curiosity, I refreshed every few seconds. The member count jumped every refresh.

Nice work, capt4fans!

No kidding! Talk about "going viral"! 4000 members and picking up speed!

Humps

So I was just on military.com and the Air Force advertisement had a picture of a maintainer working on an A-10. Cool right? He was wearing a reflective belt. In broad daylight.

:banghead:

I was walking around the KMCC for the first time and noticed about 20 or so people wearing their RB's. It was around 1pm, indoors, ect. Even my wife pointed it out.

To many people it has become part of their uniform. They just put it on without even thinking as to why they are doing so. Look at the MPF in the middle of the summer; the sun is up long before they get dressed to go to work but put the belt on anyway.

Has anyone ever gotten the feeling that this is not a safety thing at all? That it may have started that way but has turned into a secret war against ops guys? They know that we hate the belts and its their way of sticking it to us?

Edited by Smokin

I was walking around the KMCC for the first time and noticed about 20 or so people wearing their RB's. It was around 1pm, indoors, ect. Even my wife pointed it out.

To many people it has become part of their uniform. They just put it on without even thinking as to why they are doing so. Look at the MPF in the middle of the summer; the sun is up long before they get dressed to go to work but put the belt on anyway.

I see the disco belt make daytime appearances periodically at the Shoppette at WRI, and it drives me nuts. My wife has seen it a couple times as well; she thinks it's pathetic.

I think Smokin is on the right track - it's become a normal part of the uniform for an awful lot of people. This is sad.

Guest fourtenwedge

I see the disco belt make daytime appearances periodically at the Shoppette at WRI, and it drives me nuts. My wife has seen it a couple times as well; she thinks it's pathetic.

I think Smokin is on the right track - it's become a normal part of the uniform for an awful lot of people. This is sad.

I see it to, mostly from the MX guys. Maybe they just dont feel like taking it off from the early morning. I started wearing mine on Monday blues during the day. The shirt at my old unit at Offutt asked me why I was doing it a few months back and I told him "There are more rules saying to wear it than not to wear it, I was just covering my butt." I've told everyone that who has questioned me about it that its kind of a silent protest to show the stupidity of the whole thing. He didnt think too kindly of it and told me to take it off, that it didnt look professional since it wasnt required during daylight hours. Didnt look professional huh? I'm an E-5 so I did what I was told, but I had it on the next week, though I havent done it since I PCS'd.

Maybe its not the right thing to do, but I just want an O-6 to see it so maybe they see the kind of stupidity that is going on. "With all due respect sir there are more rules saying to wear it than not wear it, I'm just covering my basis. With all due respect." Because you can say anything when you say with all due respect right? //sarcasm off//

Edited by fourtenwedge

The SEL at my previous base would wear his reflective belt in blues. Inside. During the middle of the day.

You gotta watch out for those EPRs...they can be dangerous at times.

:banghead:

Ironic you should say that you wore the reflective belt in blues, because...AFN has a commercial that plays constantly showing a "good little Airman" putting on his reflective belt, while wearing blues w/ tie, before going outside his office. It really makes me want to throw up.

I was checking out the facebook page and out of curiosity, I refreshed every few seconds. The member count jumped every refresh.

Nice work, capt4fans!

I am mearly a cog in the wheel.

P.S. 5,769.......and counting. :rock::rock::rock:

Here's to the DD's and the Chief's group at the Deid. :flipoff::flipoff:

View Postcapt4fans, on 27 October 2009 - 10:16 AM, said:

Just make them pen patches so the flyers can wear them as non-approved morale patches. You know, come to think of it, I might have to get with someone on this. Start selling the pen patches that have "IHRB". Kinda like the "LPA" pen patch. But what the big question is, what color? Do you go subdued, so it doesn't look like it's there, or do you try and make it just like a neon yellow RB?

View PostGKinnear, on 27 October 2009 - 10:51 AM, said:

If only there was someway to make the letters out of reflective material.

Deid Shoeclerk "You're going to have to take off the unauthorized morale patch!"

Me "Why, it's apart of my 360 of reflectivity."

i just cut a small piece off my belt and hand wrote "IHRB" in permanent marker--now to get one of the local patch shops to sew velcro on it

I just cut off all the reflective material from an old vest. Anyone want it?

...and more...

Hate reflective belts?

November 1st, 2009 | Air Force Uniforms | Posted by Michelle Tan

At least 5,600 Facebook users do, and they’re using the site to protest the Air Force’s requirement that airmen wear reflective belts during hours of darkness.

The “I Hate Reflective Belts” Facebook group describes itself as a place for members of the Air Force “who see the continued use of reflective belts becoming ridiculous” and has attracted attention in the blogosphere.

“Before I had my reflective belt, I had to look both ways before crossing the street!” wrote one user.

Another wrote: “I’ll be waiting for the day when they bomb me over here and they laugh because it looks like they’ve exterminated a nest full of fireflies.”

And if you’re on Facebook, be sure to check out the photos of airmen mocking the reflective belt, including this… (photos of a reflective Washington crossing the Delaware and the Safety Herk.)

Ironic you should say that you wore the reflective belt in blues, because...AFN has a commercial that plays constantly showing a "good little Airman" putting on his reflective belt, while wearing blues w/ tie, before going outside his office. It really makes me want to throw up.

Don't forget the :rainbow: dance he does while the equally :rainbow: song about "choosing wisely" and "saving your life nightly" plays.

It really has become embarassing to me... I wouldn't even bring it up with non military friends to joke about, b/c it's embarassing that this is the focus of our deployed leadership.

...and more...

The blog on the story already has some Shoe comments. One even referencing that it is just another "tool in the bag."

Yeah, show me a group of people who think reflective belts are great and I'll show you a bag full of tools.