I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/12/15/the_annals_of_chickenshit_they_do_it_to_get_a_sense_of_control_over_the_situation

You know what their senior leadership's priorities were? Doing away with takeout trays at the DFAC (since, according to the brigade's CSM, the local nationals working on base were sneaking food out to feed to the insurgents) and enforcing ludicrous uniform standards (all brigade personnel had to wear gloves outside-in August-to avoid sunburning their hands, and noncompliance meant an Article 15.)

Another take on reflective belts and other queep. Essentially, senior leaders are realizing they can't actually do anything useful, so they start doing something dumb to feel a sense of control over the war environment.

• 1 month later...

Got told yesterday that on foggy days, SF has requested that we wear reflective belts while crossing streets or parking lots. However, the standard issue reflective belt we all got was white, can someone please explain how wearing a white reflective belt with white fog will make me more visible than my dark green flight suit? :bash:

can someone please explain how wearing a white reflective belt with white fog will make me more visible than my dark green flight suit?

I can try. The belt reflects light. Your flight suit does not. The same reason they make the rabbit out of lights, not flight suits.

I can try. The belt reflects light. Your flight suit does not. The same reason they make the rabbit out of lights, not flight suits.

Touche, my point was if you are looking for contrast a white belt on a white background (esp. when vis. is abt. 10 ft.) seems pretty pointless compared to a 6 foot person in a dark green flight suit.

You guys and your silly belts. Mean while, in the Navy, we're going to blue camoflage (or "aquaflage") so that if you fall over board... we can't see you! Oh, and it's not fire retardant if there's a fire aboard ship.

Stupidty has it's polar opposites. The rest of us live in the middle, in shame.

Edited by BolterKing

Touche, my point was if you are looking for contrast a white belt on a white background (esp. when vis. is abt. 10 ft.) seems pretty pointless compared to a 6 foot person in a dark green flight suit.

Think about it for a second. It is not white against white. It is reflected light. You've seen the rabbit/runway lights on foggy days, right?

FWIW, I think we've lost the bubble on these stupid belts but facts are facts. Wearing reflective belts to increase visibility to others when visibility is restricted is probably a valid use of these things.

I wonder how I managed to get along in the civilian world for almost 26 years without getting run over, and almost 10 years driving without running someone else over. It must only be for the grace of God that I made it to the Air Force where I learned about reflective belts.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 3

You guys and your silly belts. Mean while, in the Navy, we're going to blue camoflage (or "aquaflage") so that if you fall over board... we can't see you! Oh, and it's not fire retardant if there's a fire aboard ship.

Stupidty has it's polar opposites. The rest of us live in the middle, in shame.

I've wondered before why the service that wanted me to cover my AF issue helmet in 100% reflective tape in case I fell in the water designed a uniform that can't be seen in water. Maybe they can get a 100% reflective utility uniform with sewn in floats. Put the floats in the right places and you won't have to go to the gym to buff up either.

Without the cute pink reflective belts, how else am I supposed to spot a single female walking alone at night from 400 yards away?

Oh and now they're issuing "personal body alarms" to stem any sexual assault.... to women carrying guns.

• Upvote 1

It's literally a box with a 130+ Db alarm that goes off when you pull a string on it. Why an M9 isn't good enough is beyond me.

I'm sure no one will ever pull one of those strings inadvertently when they trip over the damn thing while putting on their uniform and wake up the entire compound.