I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

So, on the way home today, I saw an airman in the middle of the Atlanta airport in ABUs rocking the reflective belt. Clearly, this individual was not taking any chances and did not want to risk being struck by an errant golf cart. I wanted to say something, but it was one of those opposite-direction escalator encounters, so all I could do was mentally facepalm and chalk up reason #269 why the Air Force gets laughed at by other services.

If this guy has three stripes or less, I give him a pass as he's likely doing exactly what his sergeant told him to do--and that's a good thing. More than three stripes, and I agree wholeheartedly with asking him WTF?

Guest Hueypilot812

Yeah, 'cause guys like this don't know shit about war!

ht_berets06_070530_ssh.jpg

22.jpg

Gen. George Patton, best known for his leadership during World War II, once said, "How can we trust our soldiers to fight our wars if we cannot trust them to wear their uniform properly?"

I agree with General Patton. Our ability to fight and win America's wars is a direct reflection of how well we can follow standards. Most Airmen understand why we follow standards in the form of technical orders, standard operating procedures and rules of engagement. Airmen also understand the strategic impact when we fail to follow standards as a result of lack of discipline. For example, look at the tremendous, negative impact the situation at Abu Grab had on the war in Iraq. We lost the confidence of some of the people. A more recent example is our lack of discipline discovered in our nuclear enterprise. Even today, some Airmen still do not see what the relationship of following dress and appearance standards is to failure, lack of discipline and how they relate to bigger issues.

I guess those guys in the photos are the reasons why we haven't won yet.

Often when I see a person walking around in violation of a uniform standard I will ask them if they are an imposter or poser. They look at me funny and then I simple say "I am not sure if you are really an Airmen if you do not know how to wear your uniform properly." That is a simple way of saying if you are a legitimate Air Force member then you should be wearing the uniform properly. Think about it. If everyone wore the uniform properly, then we could assume those who fail to wear it properly are out to infiltrate and do us harm.
Or, you could look at a person, and if they are a bearded Afghan/Iraqi MFer wearing a mish-mash of BDUs and local dress and speaking something other than English, then maybe begin to suspect they are an impostor. What are the fucking chances that I'm an impostor, bent on killing Americans, but I took the time to waltz into the chow hall, get a whole plate of food, sit down, eat half of it, and push up my sleeves because it's hot. Right after that, that's when I was going to detonate... :banghead:

"I have trained my finger to move the selector lever of an M4 rifle to safe in such detail that as I fire my weapon it has become second nature."

1. I just had a mental image of this dude standing in front of a mirror cocking and safeing (sp?) his weapon repeatedly while telling himself how badass he is.

2. I guess I never realized how much coordination it took to move the selector lever. I guess I'm a natural just like the Chief.

Guest Scooby

2. I guess I never realized how much coordination it took to move the selector lever. I guess I'm a natural just like the Chief.

"As a matter of fact, the one and only time I have had to engage the enemy with my weapon"

It does for people who never fire a weapon in combat.

I'd like to amend my previous statement to "EABOD, E-9 Parsons". I've served with some truly awesome Chiefs and a couple E-9s. This dude would absolutely fall in the second category.

edit: For shits and giggles I looked up E-9 Parsons on global to see what base he's deployed at. I'll give you one guess...

Edited by Scooby

"I moved the sector lever to safe and fire unconsciously throughout the fire fight."

Your rifle just failed its function check. Unload and turn into the armorer immediately.

If you mean that throughout an engagement you repeatedly selected safe/fire, then CONGRATULATIONS! You lived. Buy the foks that were there with you a drink every time you see them. And do not ever allow yourself to be in a situation where you could get fellow servicemembers killed again.

Edited by BFM this

and then I simple say "I am not sure if you are really an Airmen if you do not know how to wear your uniform properly."

Now they are bragging about treating people like fucking children. Could this douchebag be any more condescending?

This is why the average hard working dude in the AF hates the current leadership errrr people in charge.

Edited by lloyd christmas

Guest Hueypilot812

"I am not sure if you are really an Airmen if you do not know how to wear your uniform properly."

Then you're an idiot. If you think that the lack of a reflective belt, having a shirt untucked or having a morale patch on your DFDU means you could possibly be a radical muslim insurgent, I suggest you return to Kindergarten and start your education over.

Speaking of hypocrisy, how about this D-bag's attitude with regards to attention to detail on a uniform as opposed to his own grammar ("an AIRMEN"? etc) and poor writing? Speaks volumes for the quality of critical thinking going on upstairs . . .

you don't have a hair on your ass if you don't email him and challenge him on being a poser since he can't speak english properly. :thumbsup:

I'm unfamiliar with the "sector" lever on an M-4

I also don't understand how it can be "all about muscle memory," "all about leadership," and "all about keeping your promise," all at the same time. 60% of the time it works every time.

I'm unfamiliar with the "sector" lever on an M-4

I also don't understand how it can be "all about muscle memory," "all about leadership," and "all about keeping your promise," all at the same time. 60% of the time it works every time.

My personal favorite "sector" lever on an Ar:

standard.jpg

But we all know this Chief would article 15 someone for Conduct on Becoming if he saw this.

Conduct on becoming undead perhaps. Methinks you mean conduct unbecoming, stoleit.

Regardless, this should be the standard issue M4

Whoooooooopsy!!! Yea, I fucked that one up.

In an attempt to redeem myself:

Surprise1.jpg

Chief would also not approve of this...

Edited by stoleit2x

Chief would also not approve of this...

You'll never get to be Captain of the USS Enterprise if you keep this up.

I submitted this, lets see if they post it:

Chief,

I respectfully disagree, proper uniform wear is not a force protection issue. Someone who is not clean shaven after a 15 hour sortie or wearing a University of Miami morale patch on their DFDU is clearly not to be confused with terrorists.

I agree that we should all know how to wear our uniform properly and the reason for a uniform is good order and discipline. However when the emphasis of leadership goes from the doing the job: flying, fighting and winning or at least ensuring your support function is contributing to that mission to worrying about people's reflective belts and morale patches I think leadership has lost its focus.

Furthermore I really dislike the manner in which enlisted correct officers. I don't think it is improper to correct someone doing something wrong but there is decorum to be followed. If you want to correct me, you can salute me, politely ask to speak to me in private and address it there. If it isn't appropriate to do so, then it probably isn't the right circumstance to care.

I agree that uniforms are important but not more important than the mission and the mission can't be enforcing uniforms, that is a waste of money and time.

When this great country was under attack on 9/11 our military leadership did not care in the slightest if the pilots called on to intercept a hijacked aircraft were in proper military attire. Our leadership was hoping they were going to accomplish the mission even if that was the worst mission ever. I wish I would see a little more mission focus and less emphasis on uniforms from our leadership.

Again I'm not stating that I condone improper uniform wear I'm just asking why people care to the detriment of the mission about this sort of queep? We're not talking about being out of uniform we are talking about minor uniform infractions like having sunglasses on your head, morale patches on your flight suit and the lack of a tuck on your PT shirt.

Edited by Skitzo