I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

Please, oh please, let Air Force times get a picture of a guy in service dress with a reflective belt on...

They already screwed the pooch on the disco belt issue...

Wait, Reflective Belts in Blues? Really? Wearing them as part of your flightsuit, or ABU's is one thing, but to show outright disrespect to the Dress Uniform of our service by wearing a reflective belt is crazy. I wonder if the Base Honor Guard wears them as well? Please, oh please, let Air Force times get a picture of a guy in service dress with a reflective belt on...

If you'd like a picture, I can take one just about any Thursday around here, since the base I'm at doubles as a training base for those just out of BMT. I'm not sure of the exact rules for wearing it since I don't come under the same supervision as those guys, but I've seen reflective belts over service dress as well as over Navy dress blues. Interesting (but not surprising) that you don't see them on the Army or USMC folks of the same grade and position, though.

Wait, Reflective Belts in Blues? Really? Wearing them as part of your flightsuit, or ABU's is one thing, but to show outright disrespect to the Dress Uniform of our service by wearing a reflective belt is crazy. I wonder if the Base Honor Guard wears them as well? Please, oh please, let Air Force times get a picture of a guy in service dress with a reflective belt on...

Once again.....failure of the "Leaders" to figure out how to "Lead" and not just throw a Reflective belt at the problem. Once we get these guys to figure out how to "Lead" we'll all be in a better place.

• 2 weeks later...

The SQ Super at my last base voluntarily wore his reflective belt indoors while in service dress.

He said he wanted to set a good example :banghead:

every officer in the room who allowed him to do it failed as a leader.

Why? Big boy rules apply, if he's an idiot and wants to make a fool of himself (and he's not doing anything illegal), then let him...

Someone please show me where -2903 allows the wear of a reflective belt. Then show me where -2903 allows the wear of one indoors and in service dress or blues.

You didn't really think it would be that easy to dodge, did you?

Table 1.1, "Commanders' Responsibilities"

Installation Commanders [Rule 3]: Require protective or reflective items when safety considerations

make it appropriate.

Hey, I don't think it's "appropriate" (and certainly not indoors); but welcome to the asylum....

Edited by Jughead

You didn't really think it would be that easy to dodge, did you?

Hey, I don't think it's "appropriate" (and certainly not indoors); but welcome to the asylum....

Yep, you made my point. Safety considerations indoors and in a well lit building make his wearing of the reflective belt a violation of both the installation commander's policy and -2903. Welcome to Article 92.

Yep, you made my point. Safety considerations indoors and in a well lit building make his wearing of the reflective belt a violation of both the installation commander's policy and -2903. Welcome to Article 92.

Betcha a :beer: that that never happens. "Safety considerations" are, in this case, whatever the Wg/CC says they are--if the policy includes indoors, there you have it. If the policy does not include indoors, it would be quietly amended to do so before anyone is formally chastised for excessive wear of the bullet-proof belt....

Yes, I think it's crazy.

We've proven that safety considerations include well-lit areas inaccessible to vehicles...I think indoors is just an extension of that policy.

Why? Big boy rules apply, if he's an idiot and wants to make a fool of himself (and he's not doing anything illegal), then let him...

If he wants to make an idiot of himself, that's fine.... but he needs to do it in a way that doesn't make the uniform I take pride in wearing look like a clown costume. I'm not saying berate the guy in front of anyone, but a quick "hey WTF" in a discrete manner would definitely have been in order there.

They go out there, get indoctrinated, and bring it back here. It's just taken this long for the shoe clerks to all rotate through during their AEF cycles.

Just like the Islamic extremists that go out there, get indoctrinated and bring it back to their home country.

We've adopted the model of our enemy.

Is that part of COIN?

So, on the way home today, I saw an airman in the middle of the Atlanta airport in ABUs rocking the reflective belt. Clearly, this individual was not taking any chances and did not want to risk being struck by an errant golf cart. I wanted to say something, but it was one of those opposite-direction escalator encounters, so all I could do was mentally facepalm and chalk up reason #269 why the Air Force gets laughed at by other services.

• Upvote 1

So, on the way home today, I saw an airman in the middle of the Atlanta airport in ABUs rocking the reflective belt. Clearly, this individual was not taking any chances...

I've been watching for this very thing. Inevitable. Sadly.