Swollen Eyelid (Stye)

Guest Imback

Guest Imback

1. I have recently been awarded with a stye on my eye. Will this hurt me in the physical? I think it's due to stress but not sure. I have seen a eye doctor and was told to just use a warm wash cloth.

Thanks in advance.

• 5 years later...

I've had a swollen left eyelid for 2 days now and it's pretty painful. I have no idea what caused this, a friend mentioned it could be a Stye (I have no idea what that is). I'm about 6 weeks out from a check so I don't want to get DNIF'd if I can help it. Will it go away on it's own, or should I go see the doc?

EDIT: Grammar and punctuation patrol.

Edited by snizz

try applying a hot towell...Ive had a stye before..can be pretty painful..keep er clean and it should go away..

stye usually starts as a sensitive, red, swollen area on the surface of the eyelid along the eyelash line. This changes into a small, tender bump similar to an acne pimple. The eye may water, and the eyelid may be painful. Typically the stye comes to a head (clear or yellow fluid collects in the stye) and breaks open within about 3 days. After the stye opens, it usually heals and goes away.

An internal hordeolum (plural: hordeola) is an inflammation of the oil glands inside the eyelid. Also called a stye, an internal hordeolum starts as a sensitive, red, swollen area just beneath the surface of the eyelid along the eyelash line. Usually, home treatment is all that is necessary to treat an internal hordeolum. This includes not wearing eye makeup or contact lenses; allowing the hordeolum to break open by itself; and applying warm, wet compresses to the eye area. A hordeolum that does not heal on its own should be evaluated by a health professional.

just my $.02...Im no doctor, but if its a stye, that helped me.

cheers

summers

Edited by Toro

I've had a swollen left eyelid for 2 days now and it's pretty painful. I have no idea what caused this, a friend mentioned it could be a Stye (I have no idea what that is). I'm about 6 weeks out from a check so I don't want to get DNIF'd if I can help it. Will it go away on it's own, or should I go see the doc?

It does sounds like a stye - my neighbor's kid had one a while back and my wife (a nurse) looked at it. Summer's cut and paste was right on - it's basically a big pimple on your eye and applying a hot towel repeatedly should help. The kid who had it didn't even realize when it broke - got up in the morning and realizing pus was running down her face. Nummy.

I would see the doc, though. If it's a sty he's probably just going to DNIF you until it pops and I wouldn't want to fly with that (in case it pops while you're flying). Plus any Flt/CC worth a salt is going to ask you what the hell's wrong with your eye, then make you go to the doc. If it's not a stye, then I'd certainly want to get it checked out. I'll avoid the doc for a lot of things, but don't screw with your eyes.

Guest goducks

At the risk of beating a dead horse....

If the discomfort is confined to a small area it's likely a stye and everyone has already given the proper treatment. Lots of hot compresses and avoid putting pressure (ie. trying to pop it) as that could cause the inflammation to spread. Most styes will self-resolve, although rarely they need to be surgical expressed.

If the discomfort is across the entire eyelid, then there is a very small possibility of a cellulits, which is more significant and may require oral antibiotics.

More than likely, however, it's a stye. And they hurt a lot more than you'd think based on appearance. I speak from personal experience.

• 10 years later...

Hey all - I have had an approved Flying Class I physical for a year and I am reporting to UPT in two months.  My doctor says that I have a Chalazion (a persistent stye) that needs to be removed.  Hot compresses have not helped the situation. 

Does anyone have experience with this - or know if this will have an affect on my flying status when I report?  It should be fully healed by then.  I am slightly worried since I am in "limbo" between my commissioning source and my UPT unit, and I do not know how this will affect my medical.

Thanks

On 10/22/2019 at 12:08 PM, thudthunder said:

Hey all - I have had an approved Flying Class I physical for a year and I am reporting to UPT in two months.  My doctor says that I have a Chalazion (a persistent stye) that needs to be removed.  Hot compresses have not helped the situation. 

Does anyone have experience with this - or know if this will have an affect on my flying status when I report?  It should be fully healed by then.  I am slightly worried since I am in "limbo" between my commissioning source and my UPT unit, and I do not know how this will affect my medical.

Thanks

Bump

• 2 years later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:01 PM, DosXX said:

Have had a chalazion for a few months now, tried most things. How long of a DNIF should I expect if I go the steroid shot or surgical route? Doesn't affect my vision but I definitely want it removed 

I had removed when I was at Altus. I think the DNIF was a week? This was back in 2013, so I don't know if it's changed.

• Thanks 1