New Fitness Rules

nsplayr

9 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Body by AMC.  Lol

They should've brought back the bike test.   Nothing quite like getting an excellent immediately after smoking a few Marlboro Red 100s.   

I’ll never understand why they won’t. The older you get the harder it is to run, impact exercises take a toll on the joints. A bike or swim option would make sense in a service where most people will never have to run as part of their operational job. It makes sense so it will never happen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dream big said:

I’ll never understand why they won’t. The older you get the harder it is to run, impact exercises take a toll on the joints. A bike or swim option would make sense in a service where most people will never have to run as part of their operational job. It makes sense so it will never happen. 

The Marines allow members to substitute their PFT run with a rowing machine above age 45.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, StoleIt said:

We wore the "Whoop" ring for ORM purposes. It went away pretty quickly when the tech dude who did all the work to get set up PCA'd.

My only issue with using a wearable device to track healthy/fitness (which I'm a fan of, I love my smart watch for this reason) is that if you work in a vault or do any significant amounts of flying I can see you get flagged and put in the bad camp. Sure, even if I hit the gym and run 2 miles before a flight, 24 hours stuck in a metal tube eating a ton of calories isn't gonna help. I do get a kick out of it when my watch tells me to get up and go for a walk when I'm halfway across the ocean and have 3 more legs to go. Airplane mode needs to apply to fitness!

The Space Force is only requiring something like 90 minutes of activity a week, not wearing a tracking device 24/7.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Muscle2002 said:

The Marines allow members to substitute their PFT run with a rowing machine above age 45.

Navy allows the member to choose run, bike, or swim, regardless of age.

That said, I always found it easier to get a high score with the run. The bike and swim are crazy easy to pass but difficult to get a good enough score to only do the PRT once a year. 

19 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Was it a whoop band around your wrist or an oura ring? Oura is approved in our SCIF already along with a handful of other devices.

Did you do tracked metrics in lieu of the annual fitness assessment or just in addition?

A fitness tracker would work well for RPA specifically, we literally have a gym in the room adjacent to one of our GCSs haha, no excuses!

I’m interested on the details of what y’all did particularly if it was in lieu of the annual PT test. My CC is interested and I’m trynna make it happen. Accelerate change or lose right? May the odds ever be in our favor…

The ring. And yea, I just heard at todays intel brief we can wear the ring in the vault.

And I haven't heard anything official about it being a substitute for the PT test.