Go arounds are free...totalling your plane isn't

contraildash

You just wrecked your airplane... but, you're now booked on an extended stay on St. Barts... and somewhere there's got to be a beach bar that can make the whole thing go away for at least a little while.

Mike

Guest AltazanSW
You just wrecked your airplane... but, you're now booked on an extended stay on St. Barts... and somewhere there's got to be a beach bar that can make the whole thing go away for at least a little while.

Mike

IIRC, There's one by that end of the runway. Easy walking distance!

This is one instance of the mind's ego winning in a battle with the body.

Mind: "I think I can grease this one in"

Body: "Are you nuts? Go around!"

Mind: "Naw, I got it."

Body: "Right."

Meanwhile the eyes are saying "DUDE! GO AROUND!!!"

Mind: "Oh sh**"

Body: "One involuntary chocolate stain coming up!"

<CRUNCH>

Edit: typo

Edited by BQZip01

Guys...c'mon now. It's obvious to me he was planning to use the high speed at the end on the right.

Do they still give out the mishap book at UPT? It's basically a compilation of a bunch of tweet and -38 mishaps from the last 40 years. Well, I remember a blurb in the beginning about not passing judgement on the decisions made by mishap pilots. You know, the whole "you weren't there" bit, he made the best decision he could with the info available, blah, blah, blah.

Anyhoo, that doesn't apply here. F-ing dumbass.

Edited by Spoo

Do they still give out the mishap book at UPT?

"The Road to Wings",... or as it was nicknamed "The Road to Toast".

... the proverbial coffee blowing through my nose. :thumbsup:

Guys...c'mon now. It's obvious to me he was planning to use the high speed at the end on the right.

Do they still give out the mishap book at UPT? It's basically a compilation of a bunch of tweet and -38 mishaps from the last 40 years. Well, I remember a blurb in the beginning about not passing judgement on the decisions made by mishap pilots. You know, the whole "you weren't there" bit, he made the best decision he could with the info available, blah, blah, blah.

I dunno, we weren't there....maybe he had killer bees in the cockpit.

;)

I wonder what the guy taking the video was doing waiting on this guy to land...makes me think he might have seen this happen before...

Youtube landings at St. Barths, there are tons of video of plane landing there. It's not uncommon for people to be taking video of approaches to this airport.

Start watching around 1:05

Edited by SocialD

Guest boredwith9to5

"This plane is state of the art, it has the best braking capability of any twin engine. I bet you I can stop in 800 feet."

Whaaatt? I'm sorry..did your avatar say something? How distracting.

Man I wish I wasn't at work and could see the avatar....I hate got'v computers.

Wow! That really hit's home for me. I was attempting my first landing ever in the family’s recently purchased 310 last week and found myself in a very similar situation at KFWS (downward sloping runway, high, hot and floating like a motherfvcker...) I went around...glad I didn't try to salvage the landing...

Maybe he just thought he really greased it in and was wondering why his brakes didn't work.

It was the damn anti-skid that didn't work. Piece of shit system.

It was the damn anti-skid that didn't work. Piece of shit system.

haha...heard that one more than once from T-1 FAIPs at Laughlin...as they were using a tractor to pull the jet back on the prepared surface.

I like how the guy accepts touching down with about 1300 ft remaining. Nice.

He probably wouldn't have had trouble stopping if it were 1300' remaining. The entire runway is 2100', so it looks like he had closer to ~700' or less.

He probably wouldn't have had trouble stopping if it were 1300' remaining. The entire runway is 2100', so it looks like he had closer to ~700' or less.

Yeah, guess my mind thinks in bigger numbers. Either way, the guys still a dumbass.

Guest Hueypilot812
haha...heard that one more than once from T-1 FAIPs at Laughlin...as they were using a tractor to pull the jet back on the prepared surface.

Funny...if you landed on speed in the touchdown zone at DLF, you could almost coast to a stop without even touching the brakes before you ever got to the end of the runway...