Gunships arriving at Cannon

war007afa

Yeah...the mission makes it better for the families...

If you are from smaller towns in the midwest... then I imagine it's like going home (for me at least). However, not many people can say they are experienced with smaller towns. I dated a girl once that said she really liked the small town feeling of Fort Walton Beach/Destin....

I could only laugh because she had obviously never lived in a midwest farming town of 20,000 people... let alone 100 people. So, I can understand the shock some people can have to a TRUE small town... even though I wouldn't consider Clovis a true small town. It's small.. but if you have a mall and a some chain restaurants then it is a lot bigger then some and has a more amenities than a lot of places I have known. I had a blast in some of those small places, but it was all about the people you were with. So, I imagine it cannot be tooooo horrible because I am thankful the military has a built in support system with people your age to hang out with. Just my .02.

However, if you have spouses/family who are not use to that... there could be some growing pains.

If you are from smaller towns in the midwest... then I imagine it's like going home (for me at least). However, not many people can say they are experienced with smaller towns. I dated a girl once that said she really liked the small town feeling of Fort Walton Beach/Destin....

I could only laugh because she had obviously never lived in a midwest farming town of 20,000 people... let alone 100 people. So, I can understand the shock some people can have to a TRUE small town... even though I wouldn't consider Clovis a true small town. It's small.. but if you have a mall and a some chain restaurants then it is a lot bigger then some and has a more amenities than a lot of places I have known. I had a blast in some of those small places, but it was all about the people you were with. So, I imagine it cannot be tooooo horrible because I am thankful the military has a built in support system with people your age to hang out with. Just my .02.

However, if you have spouses/family who are not use to that... there could be some growing pains.

Point taken. I was at Minot, so same kinda feel. But from what I understand about Cannon, Clovis doesn't appreciate the base or have anything close to as good of schools.

Point taken. I was at Minot, so same kinda feel. But from what I understand about Cannon, Clovis doesn't appreciate the base or have anything close to as good of schools.

There are a few good schools at the elementary and middle school levels. You have to be very selective. Here's a useful link for those moving to New Mexico for finding the decent schools. http://webapp2.ped.state.nm.us/SchoolData/SchoolGrading.aspx

Sweet, so if you like living in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do, with no job prospects for your spouse, enjoy hanging out with only people that are in the military, then Clovis is the place for you.

If you're used to having easy access to all the big retail stores and chain restaurants, as well as a nice city with lots of things to do and nice, well-cared-for parks, roads, and buildings and a good school system, you most likely will not find those things in or near Clovis, NM.

Copy, all the hallmarks of confortable, modern Western civilization are absent.

On top of all that, you're here to do a job and you're not going to make anything better by bitching. There are plenty of positives to living here and in my opinion, the mission outweighs most of the negatives.

Ah my friend, but bitching is the question and answer to many of life's problems, it exists for its own purpose. And the mission at HRT is pretty much the same so it's hard sell for dudes already in AFSOC.

I applaud you for having a good attitude though, honestly there aren't a lot of other options other than to suck it up and make the best of it.

Copy, all the hallmarks of confortable, modern Western civilization are absent.

Some people like it in the country. Some people like small towns.

They would rather have space to shoot a gun on their own property vs going to a "well cared for park" and they don't mind having a cup of coffee at the TSC or the hardware store while talking to the owner about the project they are working on. They would rather eat at a restaurant where they know exactly where the food comes from and who is cooking it versus a "chain restaurant".

The idea that someone cannot get a good education in a small town is part of the bigger problem many Americans have with who should be accountable for their children's education. If you believe the only purpose of public education should be to supplement home schooling you will be fine wherever you raise your children.

Different strokes.

Besides, did anyone think they were promised London/Paris/NYC/Geneva/Singapore/Hong Kong/Chicago/Boston/Miami/ when they joined the USAF? Seriously? Did people really not look at where the bases are before they signed up?

That said, far fewer people (including and especially family members) are going to like to be in a location that feels like the middle of nowhere. Simple math.

Besides, did anyone think they were promised London/Paris/NYC/Geneva/Singapore/Hong Kong/Chicago/Boston/Miami/ when they joined the USAF? Seriously? Did people really not look at where the bases are before they signed up?

Now, it seems the C-17 bubbas have the prime cuts: Charleston, Hickam, and McChord. Don't bring up Altus because that hurts my argument.

Some people like it in the country. Some people like small towns.

They would rather have space to shoot a gun on their own property vs going to a "well cared for park" and they don't mind having a cup of coffee at the TSC or the hardware store while talking to the owner about the project they are working on. They would rather eat at a restaurant where they know exactly where the food comes from and who is cooking it versus a "chain restaurant".

The idea that someone cannot get a good education in a small town is part of the bigger problem many Americans have with who should be accountable for their children's education. If you believe the only purpose of public education should be to supplement home schooling you will be fine wherever you raise your children..

Shack

Now, it seems the C-17 bubbas have the prime cuts: Charleston, Hickam, and McChord. Don't bring up Altus because that hurts my argument.

The glorious stratotanker doesn't have a bad mix either: Okinawa, England, Tampa, Spokane and Wichita*.

*Hey, at least it's not Enid

Altus isn't a prime location either.

Yes if you were born and raised in some urban sprawl but if you come from a small town and like that lifestyle its not bad and can withstand hot than hell temperatures. Hey at least its not Lawton, OKC is just up the road.

Yes if you were born and raised in some urban sprawl but if you come from a small town and like that lifestyle its not bad and can withstand hot than hell temperatures. Hey at least its not Lawton, OKC is just up the road.

Lawton is nicer than Altus, and also has everything Altus should have.

You do know Lawton is outside the gate of Fort Sill, you can make a fortune just repairing drywall in Lawton from the artillary range booms.

Clovis is less than ideal by most peoples' standards, but it's not horrible and you'll get used to it if you PCS here.

If you're used to having easy access to all the big retail stores and chain restaurants, as well as a nice city with lots of things to do and nice, well-cared-for parks, roads, and buildings and a good school system, you most likely will not find those things in or near Clovis, NM. If you're moving here and expect certain amenities and conveniences that you've grown accustomed to from living in a bigger city, you probably need to change your expectations. You might go through the stages of disbelief, anger, despair, regret, resignation, acceptance, and hope, and depending on your degree of cynicism you might find those stages recycling at different times with certain things, but you'll generally get through all of them as you realize things like Cannon itself isn't bad and it's getting better, you're not here forever, there are some cool things to be found around here, and the stories you hear about this place are usually worse than things actually are. On top of all that, you're here to do a job and you're not going to make anything better by bitching. There are plenty of positives to living here and in my opinion, the mission outweighs most of the negatives.

. Oh. So just like Kabul. Roger job to do, family is tertiary. I grew up in small towns and this is not one. It is a third world village with a walmart. Get real bra and call a shit sandwich what it is. FOB Cannon is nothing like the sleepy Midwest towns you are poorly attempting to compare it to. Btw how long have you lived there? Edited by Winchester

Funny how things evolve, Clovis has more "hallmarks of confortable, modern Western civilization" now than FWB/Destin did when I was first stationed at Field 9.

I remember taking a couple of 5gal. buckets and a dip net to crab island and catching crabs(not the kind you can catch now, the Doc will give you cream for them) for a crab boil that afternoon.

Still standing by for description of "cool things" and "positives" from Rocker. In the meantime, I actually found a positive recently: Clovis has the nicest McDonald's I've ever set foot in. Clean (even has a switch you can flip if the bathroom is not "perfect"), modern design with stone and wood paneling, even flat screen TVs. Free wifi was a little too much to hope for--but seriously, who's going to pay for wifi at McDonald's in Clovistan? LOL

Funny how things evolve, Clovis has more "hallmarks of confortable, modern Western civilization" now than FWB/Destin did when I was first stationed at Field 9.

I remember taking a couple of 5gal. buckets and a dip net to crab island and catching crabs(not the kind you can catch now, the Doc will give you cream for them) for a crab boil that afternoon.

You're right - Clovis is way better than old time FWB/Destin with it's white sand beaches and afternoon crab boils.

I bet former members of the 522 FS, 523 FS, and 524 FS find this thread really funny.

It's funny only because I know I never have to set foot in that place ever again. (Former 429 ECS member)

If you're looking for entertainment I'd suggest taking a rifle, finding a farmer's house and asking him if you can target practice on some whistle pigs. Don't forget a shotgun so you can do some dove hunting too.

The kid is at Cannon now but for a comparison he was talking to my parents who were at Walker AFB (Roswell) in the late 1950's, having moved there from New York City... Talk about culture shock.

My brother and I were born there and then we transferred to Loring AFB in Caribou, Maine. Another garden spot but with a slightly different climate...

You're right - Clovis is way better than old time FWB/Destin with it's white sand beaches and afternoon crab boils.

Did I say that?

Yes.

Clovis "has" (currently) more good stuff than FWB/Destin when you were first stationed there. I "remember" (in the past, implying its related to your statement one sentence earlier about your first assignment there) crab island...blah, blah, blah.

Unless my reading comprehension is way off, your post most certainly implys that you think the current day Clovis is better than the FWB crab island crab boil excursions of your past.

Me personally, after spending a couple of weekends at both locations (TDY's / XC's), I would take FWB/Destin every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edit: I type goodly.

Edited by Cap-10