Renting Airplanes in UPT

Guest thawkpa38

Guest thawkpa38

Thanks for all of the info everyone, I didn't expect to have such a big response.

I have been involved with GA my whole life. Both of my parents were CFI's, and I grew up in the back seat of a plane. Small planes are a stepping stone for some, and are a passion for others. Neither perspective is wrong but I personally want to stay involved with GA because I enjoy it and it has good to me my whole life.

The Air Force has always been my dream so I will make sure I look into and follow the policy. I just did not want to mess up a great opportunity by breaking the rules. Thanks for all of the responses.

I had 160 hrs of GA time prior to UPT and probably another 20 hrs of "not logged" time with friends. I've flown to many "podunk" airports for a meal. I had great times flying GA. So, maybe next time you should have a little SA and not start talking out of your ass.

Look, I can see your point about "relaxed" flying and how you can't get that in the military. However, at the very least bring into your crosscheck the immense cost of GA today and tell me how the hell it really makes sense to shell out a bunch of money to go fly on the weekend when 1. You get PAID to fly far cooler aircraft (even if it's more stressful) 2. After 5 days of UPT, you're probably not going to want to spend your free afternoon of the week flying (and if you do...fine, but that'd be like being an indy car driver all week and then having that burning desire to go drive a Yugo on the weekend). I can see once in a while doing it (sts) b/c your GF is in town and you want to take her up or something like that. Whatever, I guess you just don't get the same satisfaction out of your job that I do. Different strokes for different folks.

WOW.....180 hours, you've seen it all! You sound like the standard ROTC/Academy/whatever dude that goes to pilot training with very little civilian time. I don't mean this in a bad way, just different views on GA.

I'm going to have to go with ASDF on this one. Some people buy fast cars, I think this is dumb. I can spend half the money and drive the speed limit as well, most likely at better fuel economy. They just love the feeling of power and acceleration, which pales in comparison the a burner takeoff in the viper. Whatever, that's what they want to spend their money on.

Some people, myself included, just love flying (military or GA). Sure flying the viper is awesome, but so is flying GA aircraft. When I was in UPT, I managed to get a ride in a luscombe and a RV-4, would have flown every weekend if I had the chance. Flying GA, especially tailwheel, while different, is just as much fun as flying 38s. I have dreamed of flying the Viper since I can remember....now that I do, while I still love it, I still find myself wanting to go crawl into a Super cub or a Husky and go find some grass strips. Same reason my old D.O. (3k hours viper driver) loves to go fly his Cub on the weekends. You said it best....different strokes for different folks.

To the OP, fly all you want, on the weekends. You'll just have to fill out the standard, I'm in AETC so I have to wear a diaper, paperwork. Just don't try to pursue a certificate or rating w/o the proper paperwork.

Edited by SocialD

WOW.....180 hours, you've seen it all! You sound like the standard ROTC/Academy/whatever dude that goes to pilot training with very little civilian time. I don't mean this in a bad way, just different views on GA.

I'm not claiming 180 hrs is a lot of GA time, but it's a lot more than the average guy has going to UPT. It's definitely enough to know where one stands on GA. I'm a big supporter of GA and honestly would love to go fly a Husky in Alaska, take my wife up in a cherokee and go have lunch in Flagstaff or whatever. I'm not dogging on GA, I just personally can't justify spending such a massive amount of money on it when I get paid to fly during the week. If renting a plane cost $50/hr I'd do it, but at the ridiculous rates nowadays, I just won't do it.

Some people buy fast cars, I think this is dumb. I can spend half the money and drive the speed limit as well, most likely at better fuel economy

Ok, you drive a hybrid, I like my classic vette...why is that dumb?

Bottom line, I love flying more than anything except my family. Just b/c I don't see justification in spending thousands to fly on the weekends during UPT doesn't mean I don't have the same love for flying that you or the OP has.

just personally can't justify spending such a massive amount of money on it when I get paid to fly during the week.

Again, its like the old timer at the airport I learned to fly. Flew mustangs in WWII/later the F-86, 747s for the airline, and still says his Piper cub is his favorite airplane.

Ok, you drive a hybrid, I like my classic vette...why is that dumb?

Come on now....I'm not that much of a hippie!

Not an attack, but I don't see the justification of buying an expensive sports car that goes fast only to drive around at the speed limit (or 9 over, if your in Phoenix). It's just like putting a motor, that produces 29k lbs of thrust, in a viper and saying but you can only fly 250 kts. But then again, I'm not a car guy.....if it gets me from A to B safely and gets decent gas mileage, I'm happy. Not to mention the utility of it all. Just as you don't see the justification of spending money on flying on your spare time.

Bottom line, I love flying more than anything except my family. Just b/c I don't see justification in spending thousands to fly on the weekends during UPT doesn't mean I don't have the same love for flying that you or the OP has.

Never questioned your love of aviation. But saying it's not worth it because we fly cool jets at work is just ignorant. It's just differing views, I can justify spending money to fly on my personal time, even if I get paid great money to fly the viper. As you said before, different strokes for different folks.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

HOLY CRAP LOL...

That's an awesome photoshop!

Edit: Also... NSFW is searching for "beating a dead horse" in "google: Images" to try and find the photoshop version of that picture that you just posted.

Edited by AEWingsMN