ROTC class size

You just had to work hard and stay dedicated and the good things will come to you.

Bingo. I understand what tengu is saying, but I'd say ROTC is really just a big game. I'm not saying it to mean do everything and climb over everyone else to get a pilot slot, thus being "that guy," but there's a whole lot of gay when it comes to ROTC and you have to learn to suck it up, smile and nod and get to the end goal. The end definitely justifies the gayness of the means. Crosstown or not, be involved "enough" so cadre's not wondering "who's that guy?" when you're applying for pilot, but have a life outside ROTC and don't be the guy who lives at the DET/ROTC events 24/7. There's a middle ground in everything...be that guy.

Guest tenguFlyer

Hey man, you will do fine, just dont worry about it.

I always have freshmen ask me how to avoid being "that guy." I tell them all the same thing... You are at ROTC to, more than anything else, learn. I think most of the pilots on this forum have an expression about never passing up an opportunity to shut the hell up. I really think thats good advice for everyone in life, not just the pilot community. Keep the emphasis on asking questions and less showing off and you will be fine. Sure there will be times when you have experience you can share and you have something you can bring to the table that is invaluable. You will know those times though and you will be able to do it tactfully. If you are always trying to bring something to the table though, you will be "that guy."

Guest SpunkDagger

Spartan,

Check out wantscheck.com. Some good stuff on there about getting an enrollment allocation and getting a rated slot. All that stuff is probably on here but it is one big page over there and will save you some time.

Guest tenguFlyer
Bingo. I understand what tengu is saying, but I'd say ROTC is really just a big game. I'm not saying it to mean do everything and climb over everyone else to get a pilot slot, thus being "that guy," but there's a whole lot of gay when it comes to ROTC and you have to learn to suck it up, smile and nod and get to the end goal. The end definitely justifies the gayness of the means. Crosstown or not, be involved "enough" so cadre's not wondering "who's that guy?" when you're applying for pilot, but have a life outside ROTC and don't be the guy who lives at the DET/ROTC events 24/7. There's a middle ground in everything...be that guy.

I see what Brabus is getting at and I think we are thinking the same just a bit different. What I was trying to say about "the game" is... just because everyone else is playing it... doesnt mean you have to. You will see people go through some REALLY REALLY STUPID GAY to get a pilot slot in ROTC. I had more fun sitting back and watching them do it. Know the regs, know how pilot slots are awarded (whoever said wantscheck, right on!) and you too can avoid all that crap.

I remember my freshmen year some kid was telling me that if I picked an engineering major I would automatically get a pilot slot because the AF preferred them. Well guess what, I didn't listen, I got my slot, he didnt. He changed his major, failed a couple courses and never made it to field training.

But yeah.... haha... ROTC is filled with whole lots of gay. You get more bitter about it the further you go. I'm just glad to see it behind me and not ahead of me anymore. Um... Dont let that discourage you though. Its really not that bad. You just suck it up like a man and deal with it. A shot at UPT? Totally worth it!