Latest Movies

B*D*A

44 minutes ago, O Face said:

Did you watch the documentary?  Incredible!!AED506F0-2AF0-437E-B03C-0BA89D3B70A5.thumb.jpeg.49dd92aabfab22c0261d14940fec67f8.jpeg

Definitely on my to-do list now. The whole story is quite incredible. I've spent a few trips in Thailand and have always been impressed by the resilience of that culture to come together in difficult measures. The story of the 13 is a really good illustration of how hope and grit personify that nation. 

• Upvote 1

Not a new movie, but for any WW2 buffs on here who haven’t seen it, it’s worth a watch. This was the Allies first bridgehead across the Rhine as we pushed East towards Berlin in early1945. Perspectives shared from US and German participants.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:55 AM, bfargin said:

Not a new movie, but for any WW2 buffs on here who haven’t seen it, it’s worth a watch. This was the Allies first bridgehead across the Rhine as we pushed East towards Berlin in early1945. Perspectives shared from US and German participants.

Agreed!!  Also, not sure if it’s been mentioned before but “The Cold Blue” is on HBO max and should absolutely be mandatory for USAF personnel to watch. If you haven’t seen this yet, stop whatever you’re doing, even if your house is on fire, and watch this now!

93FE8112-100D-40E6-8809-3F6631474521.jpeg.aebb4f9cbc238ced15b713245ffc824f.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Just got around to watching "Industry" on HBO and holy f*ck it's good--cant wait for season 3. Premise of the show basically follows an internship class on the trade floor at a fictional top tier investment bank in London. They have some of the highest highs and also some of the lowest lows--sex, parties, drugs, huge deal transactions. Apparently the show was written by two investment bankers who left the industry due to the toxicity and some people in the field have said its a pretty good representation of accuracy although like any TV show, a bit dramatized. The shows music is also excellent. I can't say enough about it.

If a coke fueled mergers and acquisitions career was your future fall back plan for failing to get into UPT, you will definitely enjoy this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody else on here who sat alert in SAC watched the Cold War docu-series on DW? It’s well done and covers 1945 and the end of WWII through the fall of the Berlin Wall all the way to 1991. I just finished episode 4. It’s well done and worth the watch (so far anyway) for history buffs and/or those who are old enough to have served during that time.

it’s not as historically accurate as Dr. Strangelove but it’s pretty close.

"The Cold War: What We Saw" narrated by Bill Whittle is excellent. He also did "Apollo: What We Saw" about the space race. Also excellent.  You might be able to find them outside the Daily wire. 

Edited by TreeA10
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a DW cheerleader the Exodus series is outstanding as well. It’s not meant to be evangelistic and is lead by Jordan Peterson and includes Jewish, secular, and Christian scholars/thinkers exploring the second book of the Bible/Torah historically with an eye towards its implications and impact on Western thinking over the ages.

The series digs deep and thoughtfully looks at the text from several perspectives. The series won’t convince you of the Gospel (and doesn't try to) but it will def make you think about the book’s significance in shaping all of us who grew up in the West as well as an appreciation for the benefits to society of believing in the existence of God/a god/higher being.

Highly recommended for everybody, religious or atheist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GHOSTED 

You’ve been warned. Do not waste your time. The only saving grace here is that Ana de Armas is onscreen for most of it. Otherwise, your average Hallmark holiday romance has more depth, character development, and directorial skill than this sorry piece of garbage. I don’t think this would’ve even been greenlighted as a made for TV movie in the 80s. Two hours you’ll never get back. 

GHOSTED 
You’ve been warned. Do not waste your time. The only saving grace here is that Ana de Armas is onscreen for most of it. Otherwise, your average Hallmark holiday romance has more depth, character development, and directorial skill than this sorry piece of garbage. I don’t think this would’ve even been greenlighted as a made for TV movie in the 80s. Two hours you’ll never get back. 

WTF are you referencing?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

I probably posted this before, but one of my all time favorites. 
“Fighter Pilot” BBC, 1981

on YouTube. Probably the most realistic depiction of UPT, except it’s the RAF..You can see the anxiety, joy and heartbreak all of us went through attending Pilot training.,great show, about 6 episodes

IMG_2327.jpeg

Edited by Vito
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Vito said:

I probably posted this before, but one of my all time favorites. 
“Fighter Pilot” BBC, 1981

on YouTube. Probably the most realistic depiction of UPT, except it’s the RAF..You can see the anxiety, joy and heartbreak all of us went through attending Pilot training.,great show, about 6 episodes

IMG_2327.jpeg

I was stationed in the UK back in 82-84.  Have the book and watched the series when it first was released...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Fly4five said:

Too soon?

Not at all.  If these folks are rescued somehow, I will bet $100. there will be a movie of some kind.  It happens every time, when kids are trapped in a mine is just one example, where people want a drama where they can be voyeurs - and a movie gets made.

Having said that, I don't want to see a movie where five men are all ensconced in a steel can for days.

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

Not at all.  If these folks are rescued somehow, I will bet $100. there will be a movie of some kind.  It happens every time, when kids are trapped in a mine is just one example, where people want a drama where they can be voyeurs - and a movie gets made.

Having said that, I don't want to see a movie where five men are all ensconced in a steel can for days.

There is no possible way these people are rescued unless they are bobbing on the surface somehwere.  They have better chance of being rescued floating in space than at the depth they are most likely at if alive.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Clearly you're not a herk crew member

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Maybe someone could make a documentary about how much government money these rich people are costing the taxpayers to get rescued from their stupid rich people adventure. 

Seriously how in the hell is my local beach "swim at your own risk" but we'll muster the whole coast guard in the futile task of looking for these billionaire a$$holes 2.5 miles under the ocean. 

Unless these dudes took out a 10 billion insurance policy to repay the government there is no reason public funds should be used to look for these idiots. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Unit was fishing for volunteers to fly some cargo up to CYYT to help out w/ this "rescue".......after learning about the 250K per billionaire to journey w/ this outfit that didn't want to waste years getting the submersible properly certified, I said no thanks.  What a waste of resources.

14 minutes ago, slc said:

Unit was fishing for volunteers to fly some cargo up to CYYT to help out w/ this "rescue".......after learning about the 250K per billionaire to journey w/ this outfit that didn't want to waste years getting the submersible properly certified, I said no thanks.  What a waste of resources.

I dunno, I’d love to go back to the Irish pubs on George street. Some amazing memories. Wonder if the Cotton Club is still there. But yeah, none of us would have gotten that kind of support.