Latest Movies

B*D*A

1 hour ago, herkbier said:

Off topic, not a Jack Ryan, but I always thought Red Storm Rising would make a good single season TV series

yes. ive always imagined how hot that icelander chick Lt edwards was banging was...HBO would be a good call...could get some quality titty shots in there

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, Vito said:

I was looking forward to the Neal Armstrong bio-pic  “First Man” until the lefty liberals in Hollywood put their spin on it.  Still hoping it’s a good flick.

Reading some of the interviews and synopsis, I don't think cutting the American flag construction and set-up is a lefty plot.  It took a long time, and looked pretty silly on camera due to the low gravity.  You'll still get the iconic shot of Neil saluting the flag.  Just not the 45 minutes it took to set the thing up.

A few weeks back, Ryan Gosling and the director of the Neil Armstrong movie held a press conference and it was revealed that the iconic scene of Neal and Buzz planting the US flag on the moon was omitted.  When asked why they explained it wasn’t an American achievement but a human achievement blah blah blah...insert your standard politically correct BS...lots of folks were upset about the omission and the comments..I’m still looking forward to it, but I really hope it’s accurate..

Since probably 90% of Baseops wasn't born yet/then,...humor me....I actually look forward to seeing "First Man", despite the Hollywood spin.  I vividly recall watching the landing as a Cadet.  The Vietnam war was pretty much in full s..t, and we were all looking forward to getting into the game.   Little did we know back then...but that's another story...However, we were beating the DRPCBs to the moon.   I have had the honor of meeting both Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.  Once as a cadet, and later flying Neil and his wife to Athens in a MD-11.  

Anyway,  sadly we are again in a s..t show, but it was far worse in the late 60s and early 70s and we will get through this.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I thought First Man was good.  I'd warn that if you're expecting a movie like others you've seen on the space program, e.g. a docudrama like Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, etc. it's not quite that genre--it's a biopic.  That is, it's not as much about the moon landing, the space program or the cold war--it's about the life of Neil Armstrong.  I'd say it did that very well and it's clear they made an effort to keep it historically accurate (some creative licence here and there but I don't think any more than Apollo 13 had).

The camera work hits and misses. The X-15, Gemini and lunar scenes were excellent (saw it in a dfx theater with really good sound--recommend). For the dialogue scenes though, they overdid the grainy "home movie" style with too many shaky, blurry, zoom-in closeups, really distracts and gets annoying. They shot most of it on film to give it that grainy look, but then switch to IMAX for the lunar scenes--a good call. 

What I'd heard about the flag controversy was that some pundit didn't like that they weren't wearing the flag on their uniforms....when a simple google search reveals that the original Gemini uniforms had no flag. Manufactured outrage.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On October 13, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Premo said:

What I'd heard about the flag controversy was that some pundit didn't like that they weren't wearing the flag on their uniforms....when a simple google search reveals that the original Gemini uniforms had no flag. Manufactured outrage.

I apologize for commenting nearly a month after your post, but that was not the 'outrage'.  The issue was that the movie omitted planting the flag on the moon.  A simple google search will explain in further detail. 

• Like 2