Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 4/26/2018 at 12:42 AM, Kiloalpha said:

Anyone seen Super Troopers 2? Curious if it can live up to the first movie...

Saw it sober (unfortunately) and it was worth the price of admission.  It doesn't surpass the original.  They try to, and score some solid laughs; but some other efforts to be funny unfortunately fall short.  

Maybe I'm just getting old...

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Well, ClearedHot must be happy....

0D8077DA-436E-4EFC-A07C-00E30BC746FA.jpeg

If you’re a member of “The Pilot Network” on Facebook, all these dweebs are stumbling all over themselves to shit on Top Gun because it wasn’t Schindler’s List or something. It always cracks me up when people point out how inaccurate the movie is. No shit it’s inaccurate. It’s also entertaining as hell for a kid in the 80’s/90’s and still fun to watch. 

Sorry, I got #triggered for a second there.

8 hours ago, Danger41 said:

If you’re a member of “The Pilot Network” on Facebook, all these dweebs are stumbling all over themselves to shit on Top Gun because it wasn’t Schindler’s List or something. It always cracks me up when people point out how inaccurate the movie is. No shit it’s inaccurate. It’s also entertaining as hell for a kid in the 80’s/90’s and still fun to watch. 

Sorry, I got #triggered for a second there.

You now need to locate your nearest “safe space” to help heal your feelings

https://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/20-great-value-colleges-safe-spaces/

Edited by Hopefulflyer389

11 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Deadpool 2 was fantastic

Mostly concur.

Never been a fan of the comic book movie genre, but Deadpool 1 was very funny with its self-awareness and deprecation.

Deadpool 2 was more of the same.  Mindless, but very funny mostly.  Really laughed at a couple of the end of credits bits.

18 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Ok, here we go.... Top Gun came out 33 years ago. So let's suppose Maverick was a real guy. In the movie he was a Lt (O-3) that would put him in the Navy about 4 years or so at that point. Add the 33 since and now he's at 37 yrs service give or take.  Which, from time-in-grade/service alone would make him 3/4 star flag rank (and yes, you can just make out O-6 eagles on his shoulders in the picture, which begs another question; 37 years and only an O-6? Maybe he went Reserves, IDK).    Anyway his last combat “mission” would be seeking funding for toilet paper at the enlisted “A” school he commands where they pigeon holed him till mandatory retirement because he pissed off to many folks along the way.  Not to mention a starring role during the Tailhook incident in the early 90s.

Meanwhile, “Charley” has left him for another woman. And Iceman, his arch nemesis, is making $350K annually on top of his Check-of-the-Month club cash driving jumbos on international routes for Delta, while flying Warbirds on the weekend airshow circuit banging hot chicks half his age in spite of the fact he's old and is a fat slob.   

2 hours ago, Stitch said:

Ok, here we go.... Top Gun came out 33 years ago. So let's suppose Maverick was a real guy. In the movie he was a Lt (O-3) that would put him in the Navy about 4 years or so at that point. Add the 33 since and now he's at 37 yrs service give or take.  Which, from time-in-grade/service alone would make him 3/4 star flag rank (and yes, you can just make out O-6 eagles on his shoulders in the picture, which begs another question; 37 years and only an O-6? Maybe he went Reserves, IDK).    Anyway his last combat “mission” would be seeking funding for toilet paper at the enlisted “A” school he commands where they pigeon holed him till mandatory retirement because he pissed off to many folks along the way.  Not to mention a starring role during the Tailhook incident in the early 90s.

Meanwhile, “Charley” has left him for another woman. And Iceman, his arch nemesis, is making $350K annually on top of his Check-of-the-Month club cash driving jumbos on international routes for Delta, while flying Warbirds on the weekend airshow circuit banging hot chicks half his age in spite of the fact he's old and is a fat slob.   

C'mon, we've all seen enough UCMJ shenanagins lately to know this stuff:

Former ADM Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, also formerly CINCPACFLT, was caught up in the Fat Leonard scandal among other nefarious goings-on.  Since the last grade he served honorably was O-6, he was reduced in rank to that.  Since he will have a dishonorable discharge DD-214 when he finally gets out, he can't go airlines.

Also, since he's on the hook (no pun intended) for some serious, and seemingly unending, alimony payments to former smokeshow, now ex-dependapotamus, Kelly McGillis, he has to stay in to make ends meet.    Thus, he's the investigating officer for the F-18 (and other jets) OBOGS issue.  The extra 40 lbs he's packing since his Top Gun days aren't helping either...

It's not that hard a plot to go with...

• Like 1

As goofy as the original Top Gun was, it was a great time to be going through UPT!  I was at Columbus in the summer of 86 and after Top Gun premiered, a lot of young pretty faces started showing up at the local bars (both of them! "Good Times, Bonny and Clydes"  remember them?).  We milked that dumb movie for all it was worth with the ladies.  They loved it, and we tried not to disappoint them! 

Edited by Vito
  • Like 2

According to Wikipedia, the good ol’ Super Hornet was first operational in 1999. I would hope that this movie is not set in present day (Not sure how he could be an 0-6 at 30+ years with DOPMA, unless he’s some crusty reservist). My guess is it’ll be like all other unoriginal Hollywood movies and recycle the same plot. Maverick will be working at Fallon teaching some hotshot new rule breaker strike tactics in the Super Hornet. Shit hits the fan and miraculously, they are on the boat in the gulf pushing in to strike the Taliban with the first wave of OEF in Oct ‘01. The end will make it seem like they won the war, but we all know the reality is that we’re still trying to figure out how to do that 17 years later.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, matmacwc said:

Synopsis:  Admiral Mitchell gives commanders call to disillusioned CG's / FGOs about how bad life is on the outside of AD.  Later pulled over by base SF after going expired on his MSF course. *spoiler* Gets fired after non-green dot approved statement outside empty O-club.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, Stitch said:

Ok, here we go.... Top Gun came out 33 years ago. So let's suppose Maverick was a real guy. In the movie he was a Lt (O-3) that would put him in the Navy about 4 years or so at that point. Add the 33 since and now he's at 37 yrs service give or take.  Which, from time-in-grade/service alone would make him 3/4 star flag rank (and yes, you can just make out O-6 eagles on his shoulders in the picture, which begs another question; 37 years and only an O-6?

I found an obscure article that just came out that might explain.........😁

Fallon, NV (AP)  An American hero is back.  Following a desperate call by the US Air Force and Navy for retired fighter pilots to consider returning to the cockpit, Pete Mitchell, better known as “Maverick” is returning to the skies.  Turning 60 later this year, he is one of the oldest fighter pilots to answer the call.  When asked if he’s concerned about being able to keep up with his younger counterparts, he quickly dispelled any doubts.  “I’ve been working as an instructor at Air Combat USA”, Maverick explained.  “I’m one of the most requested instructors and I always tell the customers that they can be my wingman any time…… They really like that.”  Mitchell also touched on his fitness routine which involves, “A LOT of volleyball…..Just a whole bunch of volleyball.”

Beyond his time in the spotlight 33-years ago, Maverick has had his share of ups and downs.  There is much about his time in the Navy that has been relatively unknown to the general public.  He enjoyed a storied 30-year career that began with fits and starts trying to escape the shadow of his controversial father and some misdeeds of his own.  His story took a turn for the better following multiple MiG kills, a spin as a Top Gun instructor and tying the knot with his new sweetheart “Charley”.  Success was his new back-seater and for the next 25 years, he lived a charmed life.  However, as the twilight of his career approached, things began to unravel. 

Expecting to be promoted to Rear Admiral, Maverick ran into trouble when a faded polaroid surfaced and began to make its way around social media.  The picture clearly showed him extending his middle finger to another country’s fighter pilot at very close range.  Once it was learned that this foreign pilot was, in fact, that services first woman fighter pilot, it was just a matter of time before he was facing the first of several sexual harassment law suits.  Other women fighter pilots from the United States as well as several European allies came forward with similar “me too” charges of airborne insults.  “It…was just awful.  I felt so marginalized and ridiculed.  That kind of behavior just doesn’t belong in a fighter.  We’re up there training to kill people and he just took it to an ugly place.  It’s hard to see the HUD, let alone gun someone when you’re having to constantly raise your visor to blot away tears.” said a French Mirage-2000 pilot on condition of anonymity.

Feeling pressure from all directions, the Navy began to re-evaluate Mitchell’s pending promotion.  The final death blow came from retired Admiral, now California Senator Phillip Benjamin.   Benjamin was able to build support in the Senate to disapprove the promotion.  It’s unclear what his motivation was, but it apparently involved his daughter Penny and had something to do with Mitchell’s flying as the Senator was overheard saying to himself, “How’s that high-speed pass looking now, Mav?”  Forced to retire at the rank of O-6 in 2010, Maverick put the Navy behind him and began to look for new career opportunities.

Three unsuccessful major airline interviews were all marred by persistent inquiries by HR about the polaroid and rumors of his use of the women’s bathroom at the Miramar O-club.  His attempts to deflect the questions usually involved agreeing to answer on condition of murdering the interviewer afterwards.  Needless to say, Mitchell’s transition to airline flying never really left the ground.  To make matters worse, it was at this time that it became readily apparent what had really been behind Charley’s overly enthusiastic pursuit of threesomes with Maverick.  Unable to remain in denial any longer, their threesomes became twosomes and Pete wasn’t invited.  While difficult, this period carried a silver lining simply because even he had come to admit that Charley had pretty much let herself go to the dogs.  Childless, thanks to Maverick spending 4000 hours sitting 5 feet behind a 3-Kilowatt radiation source, the marriage dissolved quickly.

The last 8 years haven’t passed without some difficulties for Mitchell.  There have been several failed business ventures including a Karaoke Bar.  Patrons typically left frustrated because there was only one song on the machine and Mitchell usually insisted on singing it with them.  He does admit he took a while to adjust to civilian flying, even the mock dogfighting he now teaches at Air Combat USA.  “It was tough at first”, Maverick explained.  “It got better once I got them to install the locker room for the post-flight showers.  A lot of good learning happens in there.  I think everyone comes out a better combat pilot than when they put that towel on and walked in”.

But now Maverick is ready to put that part of his life behind him and begin the re-launch of phase two of his Naval aviation career.  The world is watching and MiG pilots are running scared.  Look out.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 4

Hotel Artemis - Imagine a whole move about the hotel in John Wick, but set in the "near future."  It's about as deep as all those scenes too.  

Enjoyed it, but wasn't impressed.  B-

On 6/9/2018 at 10:07 AM, JeremiahWeed said:

Fallon, NV (AP)  An American hero is back.  Following a desperate call by the US Air Force and Navy for retired fighter pilots to consider returning to the cockpit, Pete Mitchell, better known as “Maverick” is returning to the skies.  Turning 60 later this year, he is one of the oldest fighter pilots to answer the call.  When asked if he’s concerned about being able to keep up with his younger counterparts, he quickly dispelled any doubts.  “I’ve been working as an instructor at Air Combat USA”, Maverick explained.  “I’m one of the most requested instructors and I always tell the customers that they can be my wingman any time…… They really like that.”  Mitchell also touched on his fitness routine which involves, “A LOT of volleyball…..Just a whole bunch of volleyball.”

Beyond his time in the spotlight 33-years ago, Maverick has had his share of ups and downs.  There is much about his time in the Navy that has been relatively unknown to the general public.  He enjoyed a storied 30-year career that began with fits and starts trying to escape the shadow of his controversial father and some misdeeds of his own.  His story took a turn for the better following multiple MiG kills, a spin as a Top Gun instructor and tying the knot with his new sweetheart “Charley”.  Success was his new back-seater and for the next 25 years, he lived a charmed life.  However, as the twilight of his career approached, things began to unravel. 

Expecting to be promoted to Rear Admiral, Maverick ran into trouble when a faded polaroid surfaced and began to make its way around social media.  The picture clearly showed him extending his middle finger to another country’s fighter pilot at very close range.  Once it was learned that this foreign pilot was, in fact, that services first woman fighter pilot, it was just a matter of time before he was facing the first of several sexual harassment law suits.  Other women fighter pilots from the United States as well as several European allies came forward with similar “me too” charges of airborne insults.  “It…was just awful.  I felt so marginalized and ridiculed.  That kind of behavior just doesn’t belong in a fighter.  We’re up there training to kill people and he just took it to an ugly place.  It’s hard to see the HUD, let alone gun someone when you’re having to constantly raise your visor to blot away tears.” said a French Mirage-2000 pilot on condition of anonymity.

Feeling pressure from all directions, the Navy began to re-evaluate Mitchell’s pending promotion.  The final death blow came from retired Admiral, now California Senator Phillip Benjamin.   Benjamin was able to build support in the Senate to disapprove the promotion.  It’s unclear what his motivation was, but it apparently involved his daughter Penny and had something to do with Mitchell’s flying as the Senator was overheard saying to himself, “How’s that high-speed pass looking now, Mav?”  Forced to retire at the rank of O-6 in 2010, Maverick put the Navy behind him and began to look for new career opportunities.

Three unsuccessful major airline interviews were all marred by persistent inquiries by HR about the polaroid and rumors of his use of the women’s bathroom at the Miramar O-club.  His attempts to deflect the questions usually involved agreeing to answer on condition of murdering the interviewer afterwards.  Needless to say, Mitchell’s transition to airline flying never really left the ground.  To make matters worse, it was at this time that it became readily apparent what had really been behind Charley’s overly enthusiastic pursuit of threesomes with Maverick.  Unable to remain in denial any longer, their threesomes became twosomes and Pete wasn’t invited.  While difficult, this period carried a silver lining simply because even he had come to admit that Charley had pretty much let herself go to the dogs.  Childless, thanks to Maverick spending 4000 hours sitting 5 feet behind a 3-Kilowatt radiation source, the marriage dissolved quickly.

The last 8 years haven’t passed without some difficulties for Mitchell.  There have been several failed business ventures including a Karaoke Bar.  Patrons typically left frustrated because there was only one song on the machine and Mitchell usually insisted on singing it with them.  He does admit he took a while to adjust to civilian flying, even the mock dogfighting he now teaches at Air Combat USA.  “It was tough at first”, Maverick explained.  “It got better once I got them to install the locker room for the post-flight showers.  A lot of good learning happens in there.  I think everyone comes out a better combat pilot than when they put that towel on and walked in”.

But now Maverick is ready to put that part of his life behind him and begin the re-launch of phase two of his Naval aviation career.  The world is watching and MiG pilots are running scared.  Look out.

You've thought of this, for years.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:07 AM, JeremiahWeed said:

Well that explains a lot. Thank you sir.  However, just one more question if you will: Mav had a "Stellar" career but no tour flying clown jets at JAX? Interesting.... 

I hear Hereditary is shit your pants scary.
Any recce on this one yet?

ATIS
I was underwhelmed. Lots of suspenseful moments that don't pan out. I usually like A24 productions but this one was a waste of time. Thank god for Moviepass.