Latest Movies

B*D*A

2 hours ago, Guardian said:

Dude. That looks good. Out of curiosity what other sci-fi do you like? Books or film.

I've been out of the media space for books and film for awhile (school/AF/family), generally getting only what's popular.  I liked the new sci fi blockbusters that have come out "recently" like Gravity and Interstellar.  But I don't have much beyond that.  Though it is time for me to read Dune again.  It's legit something I was looking forward to in retirement.

Only correction for @Prozac is it's on Prime.  Otherwise his take is spot on.  They really get "the little things" right, like what happens if you have an injury in zero G.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Prozac. Watched the 80’s dune last night. Thoughts on the movie vs the book?

I never watched the 80s movie. Never read the book before now either. Not sure why but I was always had an aversion to the story for some reason. I think a lot of the people who were into it when I was growing up were part of the d&d/fantasy crowd and that never interested me (not that I don’t admit to harboring an inner nerd). All I can say now is that the book is great so far and I wish I would’ve read it at about 15. I know the original movie was widely chided, but being somewhat familiar with Villeneuve’s work, I’m hoping the new movie will do justice to the novel. 

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

I never watched the 80s movie. Never read the book before now either. Not sure why but I was always had an aversion to the story for some reason. I think a lot of the people who were into it when I was growing up were part of the d&d/fantasy crowd and that never interested me (not that I don’t admit to harboring an inner nerd). All I can say now is that the book is great so far and I wish I would’ve read it at about 15. I know the original movie was widely chided, but being somewhat familiar with Villeneuve’s work, I’m hoping the new movie will do justice to the novel. 

I thought the 80s movie was an interesting take on the book.  Come to find out after the fact there was a ton of studio meddling, and the special effects of the day didn't really let them do what they wanted to.  I think it is faithful in spirit.  I'm looking forward to the new movie.  I still haven't seen all of the SciFi series on it...was busy getting the degree when it dropped.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

Awesome.  I didn't know she had that history with her Dad.  She did Wonder Woman, which I thought was great mostly due to great character writing and heart.  If there's anything a new Star Wars movie/show needs it's heart...I'm sure she can bring it.  Very excited.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, 17D_guy said:

Awesome.  I didn't know she had that history with her Dad.  She did Wonder Woman, which I thought was great mostly due to great character writing and heart.  If there's anything a new Star Wars movie/show needs it's heart...I'm sure she can bring it.  Very excited.

I want that X-Wing just to park in front of the local FBO and see what people do.  LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prozac said:

This has the potential to be the only thing I’ve ever liked Nick Cage in. 

Whaaaaaa????

Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Valley Girl
Peggy Sue Got Married
Raising Arizona
Honeymoon in Vegas
Leaving Los Vegas
Matchstick Men
Lord of War

His career really didn't go off the rails until 15 years ago!

And seriously, could he use any more hair dye?!?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, M2 said:

Whaaaaaa????

Valley Girl
Peggy Sue Got Married
Raising Arizona
Honeymoon in Vegas
Leaving Los Vegas
Matchstick Men
Lord of War

I feel like a lot of those films were great in spite of Cage, not because of him. I will give you Lord of War though. Something about him walking around in a drug induced stupor in the slums of Liberia just worked. Also, I never saw Raising Arizona and have been chastised by many for missing that one, so it’s on my to watch list. 

41 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Also, I never saw Raising Arizona and have been chastised by many for missing that one, so it’s on my to watch list. 

I've tried to watch this film...it just doesn't do it for me.  Lord of War, was just amazing. 

Not sure how @M2left off Con Air, or Gone in 60 seconds.

3 hours ago, M2 said:

Whaaaaaa????

Valley Girl
Peggy Sue Got Married
Raising Arizona
Honeymoon in Vegas
Leaving Los Vegas
Matchstick Men
Lord of War

AND:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 1:16 AM, di1630 said:

Watched WW84 with the fam on HBOMAX. My opinion, 5/10, worth watching but if I’d have paid money to see this in the theater, I would have been disappointed mainly with what I thought was a crappy story.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

The CGI was pathetic.  Jurassic Park, which came out in 1993, has substantially more convincing CGI.  It was like 30 minutes too long due to irrelevant subplots & filming locations (the entire Egypt setting could have been eliminates with zero effect on the story).  The invisible airplane scene was embarrassing.  The boss fight at the end made absolutely no sense, and piss-poor CGI Kristen Wiig is the supervillain?  Really?  Minor spoiler alert: Wonder Woman learns how to fly and lasso lightning......but somehow loses that ability 30 years later when Justice League takes place.  Uh, OK........

2/10.  That movie sucks.  Watch the first one again, because it's actually a good movie.  Hell, just watch Linda Carter in the 1970s TV show - the CGI is about the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MyCS said:

I'm not going to ruin it for you guys/gals.

But I will.  The movie is awful, avoid.

They brought Chris Pines character back to support the flimsiest of plot lines.  His presence was a complete waste of time.

Kristen Wiig playing the heavy?  Wait, there's more than one bad guy?  Another DC problem - too many characters.

This felt like watching a bad TV episode of something.

11 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

But I will.  The movie is awful, avoid.

They brought Chris Pines character back to support the flimsiest of plot lines.  His presence was a complete waste of time.

Kristen Wiig playing the heavy?  Wait, there's more than one bad guy?  Another DC problem - too many characters.

This felt like watching a bad TV episode of something.

Number one way I can tell a movie/TV show is going to suck: dead characters coming back.

When the producers and writers get attached to the actors instead of the story, the story inevitably crumbles. Just look at Game of Thrones. GRRM loved the world and the story, not the characters, so they died when it was best for the plot. As soon as the source material ran out, we got two seasons of steamy horse shit, because regular ass Hollywood writers and producers took over, and they just know how to stick to the formula.

WW84 is just another casualty.

• Upvote 2