Latest Movies

B*D*A

• 3 weeks later...

"The Report" had a limited release in theaters early 2019, and then released on Amazon in November.  Daniel Jones (Adam Driver) is a Idealistic Senate staffer tasked by his boss (Sen Diane Feinstein, head of the Senate Intelligence Committee) to lead an investigation into the CIA's post 9/11 Detention and Interrogation Program (i.e. detainee torture, black sites, etc).

Saw a couple reviews along the lines of "this movie felt like a Wikipedia article on screen," which it kinda did (lots of dialogue, little to no character development, strong focus on names/dates/places, etc).  Still, it kept my interest.  From what I could find, the movie is more or less accurate to actual events.

Not a good choice if you're looking for action/adventure, but if you want to see the nuts-and-bolts of some of the more important aspects of the "War on Terror," I'd recommend it.

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 1

Just walked out of it out here in LA. 
Best war movie since Saving Private Ryan.
I shit you not.

Agreed! Fantastic. I can’t remember the last time I went to a movie where I wasn’t looking at my watch waiting for it to end.

I was legit surprised it was over because it just held my attentiont so well I looked at my watch and was surprised how long I had actually been sitting there.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UnknownRider said:

Seeing it tonight.....will provide my review shortly thereafter.........

I spend enough time in airports dealing with the masses, so going out to a crowded movie theater on a Saturday night during an opening weekend is not usually in the flight plan.    This is one movie worth going to regardless of the crowd size.  An awesome movie, and a must see on the big screen.....

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

A good, solid, well made war movie.  Don't regret mixing with the riff-raff which is one of my criterion for movie-going.

Best picture award winner?

Nope.

Really? What did you like more that fits the bill better?

9 hours ago, Danger41 said:

How about "The Last Full Measure"? 

Production wise for most of the movie it tried too hard with the military cliches and emotional triggers.  AD/Veteran may nitpick at the technical details/inaccuracies.  However, the story itself is something else.  90% of the acting was average at best.  The emotional tolls/impact to the families and veterans were highlighted very well (especially at the end).  Overall, didn't care much for the production but grateful for someone to make the movie and pays respect/tribute to not just a war hero but veterans in general.

I was in a large theater, it was only about 3% filled but you can hear the audience sobbing through out the movie.

Interested to hear the review from a PJ's perspective. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Really? What did you like more that fits the bill better?

I'm not a movie fanatic nor a particular movie critic; I like what I like.  I don't like being "woken," I don't like being lectured to, I want to be entertained.  If stuff blows up, beautiful women are scantily clad yet somehow classy and available, and the writing is good, I'm in.    The James Bond films before he got 'woke,' are in my comfort zone.

I like semi-historical films as well.

I have not seen, nor planning to see, most of the nominated films for this year.

1917 was a good solid movie.  Well done, authentic in the details, interesting story.

But to answer your question, Tarentino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" was a better, more entertaining move to me.  The characters, the actors' portrayals, the writing, and the weird ending entertained me.

tumblr_m4ga42ePP81r60j9b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, brickhistory said:

But to answer your question, Tarentino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" was a better, more entertaining move to me.  The characters, the actors' portrayals, the writing, and the weird ending entertained me.

Ah, yea. I still have to see that one. As much as I love Tarantino I just never see his films in the actual theater.

I enjoyed the way 1917 was shot as the unique things the director did for that movie. 

I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood when it came out and I thought it was terrible. And I like Tarantino movies. IDK, there was like one or two good scenes and the rest I thought was super boring and pointless. To each his own!

My advice: just see 1917 twice.

I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood when it came out and I thought it was terrible. And I like Tarantino movies. IDK, there was like one or two good scenes and the rest I thought was super boring and pointless. To each his own!
My advice: just see 1917 twice.
This. Solidly toward the bottom of the Tarantino pantheon. I liked Leo in it, Brad just plays a toned down version of Aldo Raines, and there is no plot. Basically just a buddy movie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Hope this  will be worth a ticket:

https://youtu.be/eyzxu26-Wqk

Hopefully they invest some more in the CGI.  These movies always look "too clean" for my liking.

However, I am excited for the story about crossing the North Atlantic during WWII.  A lot of that sacrifice is forgotten and/or simply a note in the text books about "U-boats attacked convoys."  It's sounds terrifying...not as terrifying as being in a bomber, but close.

• Upvote 1

'Greyhound' is based on the book 'The Good Sheppard' by C.S. Forester, he of Horatio Hornblower fame.  

I read all his books as a kid, they are all excellent, and 'The Good Sheppard' is one of his best.  

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Shepherd-C-S-Forester/dp/0143134124

While Tom Hanks is way to old to be an American destroyer captain in early 1942, he is one of the few actors who could pull this off.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

It's sounds terrifying...not as terrifying as being in a bomber, but close.

Dunno.

6-9 hours frozen in your B-17/B-24 for 25-35 trips or a week or more frozen on a steam-powered freighter or worst, a tanker prior to May 1943 with the return trip awaiting.

A real shame it took so long for the Merchant Marine guys to get recognized as WWII 'vets.'    :jd:

• 3 weeks later...

Since "latest" movie isn't really a thing, thought I'd throw a few out there for our various quarantines.

Just watched "The Highwaymen."  A loosely based true story of two retired Texas Rangers saddling up for one last time to track down Bonnie and Clyde.  Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson do a good job of it.

For you youngsters, if you haven't ever seen "Cool Hand Luke," I highly encourage it.  Top 5 on my all time list.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Since "latest" movie isn't really a thing, thought I'd throw a few out there for our various quarantines.

Just watched "The Highwaymen."  A loosely based true story of two retired Texas Rangers saddling up for one last time to track down Bonnie and Clyde.  Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson do a good job of it.

For you youngsters, if you haven't ever seen "Cool Hand Luke," I highly encourage it.  Top 5 on my all time list.

Cool Hand Luke is easily my #1 movie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, MilitaryToFinance said:

Just got back from watching Dark Waters for work. Not a bad movie if you like the lawyer drama type movies. It's a little less dramatic than the trailer portrays it. DuPont is so worried about the movie they released a 2 page rebuttal press release to their depiction in the film. That's a good endorsement in my book.

Watched Dark Waters last night based on this review.  Interesting stuff, really enjoyed it.  The trailer prompted me to go down the google rabbit-hole on the backstory before I saw the movie,  including the New York Times Magazine article the movie was based on, "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare."  The wife on the other hand hadn't read anything about it, and also enjoyed the movie, if maybe not as much as I did.