Latest Movies

B*D*A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was in Los Angeles this morning car shopping, Afterwards drove over to Hollywood and saw Sicario. Excellent movie.

The previews make it look like Emily Blunt is a new G.I. Jane. But it is more of her doing ride along with Brolin and Del Toro.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to an Audible audiobook. It's expensive relative to book on CD but it's very convenient to purchase from Amazon and streams from phone or iPad and I need anything I can get to make the 14 hour drive (one way) more tolerable. 

"Sicario" movie review...

Intense! A two-hour adrenaline rush that will invoke a fight or flight response from most viewers.  This drug cartel story isn’t ripped from today’s headlines.  No, it’s bigger than that.  Much bigger. “Sicario” is an electrifying action thriller that enlightens and educates us on the violent crime that already exists—and operates—inside our southern border.

Emily Blunt (“Edge of Tomorrow”) plays a naïve FBI agent and tops off a superb cast that includes Academy Award winner Benicio del Toro (“Traffic”, 2000) as a government consultant, and Oscar-nominated Josh Brolin (for 2008’s “Milk”) as the leader of a U.S. clandestine unit.  The trio meet along the blurred desert border of corruption, deception and hitmen to fight drug lords and a jurisdiction system that still tilts in favor of the criminal minds.

movie-review-sicario

The frustrated Blunt wants to play by the rule of law. Except the only U.S. move left is to flip the game board upside down--creating chaos and noise in a cartel family monopoly.

An astonishing cast and script is bookended by a spectacular music score.  A heart-pounding film experience on the frontlines, where rules get thrown aside without apology or trepidation.  “Sicario” is not about curbing the drug war by the time the credits roll. It’s about savvy street smarts and keen instincts necessary in a dangerous environment where nothing is as it appears to be. One of the best films of 2015.

I was trying to guess what numb nuts was quoting a movie trailer without reading the username. Figured Huggy had just discovered Movie Phone and was trying to impress us with his cinema knowledge.

Are spammers really making forum accounts now just to post adverts?

• Upvote 1

Movie Reviewer. :notworthy:

Are you making a living, middle class wage off of it?

If so, good on you. I've always wondered how hard that would be to get into. One of the only downsides to being stationed overseas is the access (and price) to the movies. 

For what it's worth, your post about the movie lost me with all the parenthesis and "Oscar-nominated" add ins. Expected for an IMDB plot summary, but not a no-shit review from a human. Also, there is no such thing as an astonishing cast, unless they managed to resurrect Ghandi or George Washington to be in it. 

/unsolicitedfeedback

Good on you for getting into that gig. I'm jealous.

• Upvote 1

I read "The Martian" twice, then decided I wasn't going to ruin the experience by going to see the movie.

Then I saw a couple trailers... and ended up watching it last Friday night.

OUTSTANDING movie!  There's no way they could've packed as much detail into a film as there was in the book, but they did a pretty good job of getting the point across.  The film is pretty faithful to the book, with a few exceptions, but IMO the exceptions didn't detract from the overall experience.

I did not feel like my money was wasted.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...