Weight Loss/Work out in the desert

Aurora85

so headed to the sandbox for the first time. Looking to make it my version of fatcamp..loose a little weight..work out etc. Anyone have any good tips for losing some weight over in the des. while flying? How do I eat healthy at the DFAC? Do they cook plain chicken breasts etc? I know a lot of guys end up losing a good amount of weight. Any tips/ eating plans appreciated!

so headed to the sandbox for the first time. Looking to make it my version of fatcamp..loose a little weight..work out etc. Anyone have any good tips for losing some weight over in the des. while flying? How do I eat healthy at the DFAC? Do they cook plain chicken breasts etc? I know a lot of guys end up losing a good amount of weight. Any tips/ eating plans appreciated!

STAY AWAY FROM TEH COOKIES!!! They are like crack!

The trick is General Order #1. I hammered at least 6-9 ice cream bars a day and still lost 20 pounds without beer.

- Avoid the dessert line.

- Go the gym at least once during every period of time you spend awake ("day" and "night" and "work shift" are meanless phases once you start flying)

- Use N.O. Xplode to make your workouts more effective.

- Set goals for how far you want to run / how much weight you want to lose / etc... during the deployment. Working towards a goal is ten times easier than just working out to get in shape.

- Workout with someone if able. A crewmember works best, if you can get the whole crew on a health kick, even better.

FF

Edited by FourFans130

Crackadamia cookies...mmmm....

Honestly, its as easy to lose weight as it is to save money over there. When its 120 every day, you lose weight just walking to the chow hall. Skip the side dishes and the short order lines and just eat a main dish (chicken breasts!) and the salad bar (lots of guys add tuna). Like mentioned, stay away from the ice cream. Throw in 30 min of bike/run when you go to the gym every other day, and the pounds will drop.

Uuuuuugggghhhhh. Ok, here it is.

1. It is ALL about diet. No $#!t. 80% diet, 20% everything else.I cannot stress this ENOUGH. If you are committed to getting in shape, get your DIET in order. Anything else I say after this is only applicable if you have a decent diet. Yes, it is difficult to do when deployed, and YES people have done it (and yes, it was not on any PH's or steroids, or even mild stuff like Epistane or blah blah blah).

2. BSN products are overpriced and SUCK. You want a GOOD version of NO Xplode that won't crap out on you two weeks in? Try White Flood from Controlled Labs. If you want something halfway worthwhile, get protein powder, BCAA/EAAs, a multivitiamin...maybe some creatine. NO products are extra money that is better spent on better food and other supplements. Yes, I know BSN is all you have at the BX...the internet is a wonderful (cheaper) option.(bb.com store, nutraplanet.com, wheycheap.com, whey2buy.com...there are way better options).

3. Get an ACTUAL, proven, workout program. Rippetoe Starting Strength is awesome for ANY level (yeah, no $#!t). If you want a more conditioning-centered program, check out rosstraining.com, which I think is better for a military style training anyway)

4. Just BE CONSISTENT. Yes, you will have good days and bad days, yes sometimes your diet will = crap, and yes sometimes you will feel like you are getting nowhere...just keep going. The rewards at the end will be worth it.

5. Keep track of yourself. Pictures, a log, whatever...if you keep track of progress along the way, it WILL help. Pictures are very motivating, trust me.

6. Seriously, it's about the diet. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

EDIT:: PM me with any questions since I am the first person in this thread to know what they are talking about.

Edited by Krabs

This seems to be getting a lot of attention. Kris Gethin is a very well known personal trainer and bodybuilder. He's not only transformed his own body, but, he's trained with people like Dorian Yates, and trained other pro bodybuilders to success. He's all natural (No steroids, PH). Supposedly, he just released a new book. They might have it over at Barnes & Noble or Borders. Not sure.

Either way. This link will take you to his 12 week transformation section where he does a new video everyday and it's FREE. I've been lifting for years and still lifting daily as a way of life and I must say, Kris is legit. Absolutely legit. He doesn't specialize in "loosing weight", but more so about burning fat. You can be lighter, but it doesn't mean you've lost fat. Muscle goes long before fat does. His videos explain it all.

At the least, check it out. Good luck with your deployment. Be safe.

-Yerfer

Edited by yerfer

EDIT:: PM me with any questions since I am the first person in this thread to know what they are talking about.

lol, that is just like the salesman at OfficeMax who tried to tell me I needed the extended warranty, he knew what he was talking about as well.

I don't believe anyone who says you need to pump that kinda crap into your body. I am pretty sure people have been able to get in good shape for oh.....since we split from our common ancestor with the monkey without using that stuff.

You are right, diet is important, healthy eating and exercise will shed about 2lbs a week and do it nice and healthy.

I guess it's all technique though.

lol, that is just like the salesman at OfficeMax who tried to tell me I needed the extended warranty, he knew what he was talking about as well.

I don't believe anyone who says you need to pump that kinda crap into your body. I am pretty sure people have been able to get in good shape for oh.....since we split from our common ancestor with the monkey without using that stuff.

You are right, diet is important, healthy eating and exercise will shed about 2lbs a week and do it nice and healthy.

I guess it's all technique though.

Funny!

Yes, diet is important, and the suplemtnt suggestions you were slaming are very interesting!

First, FF sugested N.O. Explode... souds like something you would tell a drunk chick at a bar... Contains:

1.81 Lbs. Fruit Punch

Supplement Facts

Serving Size1Scoop(20.5g) ††

Calories 25

Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%

Sugars 0g **

Vitamin B6(Pyridoxine HCL) 25mg 1,250%

Vitamin B9(Folic Acid) 400mcg 100%

Vitamin B12(Cyanocobalamin) 120mcg 2,000%

Calcium 75mg 8%

Phosphorus 535mg 54%

Magnesium 360mg 90%

Sodium 235mg 10%

Potassium 75mg 2%

N.O.-Xplodeâ„¢'s Proprietary Blend 18,000mg **

(Contains A Patented Nutrient Suspension Matrix & Efforsorbâ„¢ Delivery System)

Wow 18,000mg of crap!

N.O. Meta-FusionPatent Pending **

L-Arginine AKG, L-Citrulline Malate, RC-NOSâ„¢ (Rutacarpine 95%), L-Citrulline AKG, L-Histidine AKG, NAD (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide), Gynostemma Pentaphyllum (Leaves & Stem) (Gypenosides 95%)

AVPT (Advanced Volumizing & Performance Technology) **

Modified Glucose Polymers (Maltodextrin), Di-Creatine Malate, Trimethylglycine, Creatine Ethyl Ester -Beta-Alanine Dual Action Composite (CarnoSyn®), Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Creatine Phosphate Matrix, Creatinol-O-Phosphate-Malic Acid Interfusion, Glycocyamine, Guanidino Proplonic Acid, Cinnulin PF® (Aqueous Cinnamon Extract) (Bark), Ketoisocaproate Potassium, Creatine ABB (Creatine Alpha-Amino-N-Butyrate)

Ener-Tropic Xplosionâ„¢(Patent Pending) **

L-Tyrosine, Taurine, Glucuronolactone, Methylxanthine (Caffeine), L-Tyrosine AKG, MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides)[Coconut], Common Periwinkle Vinpocetine 99%, Vincamine 99%, Vinburnine 99% (Whole Plant)

Phospho-Electrolyte Replacementsâ„¢ **

Di-Calcium Phosphate, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Di-Sodium Phosphate

Glycerol Hydrating Polymersâ„¢ **

Potassium Glycerophosphate, Magnesium Glycerophosphate, Glycerol Stearate

Second, Krabs sugested White Flood... at first I thought he jumped the gun on Obama Hussien ending "don't ask don't tell"... Contains (besides lots of Protein):

Calories 0

Calories From Fat 0

Potassium(as Gluconate) 36mg 1%

Folate(as Folic Acid) 250mcg 63%

Selenium(as Selenium Amino Acid Chelate) 100mcg 143%

ENO Flood Complex™ 2500mg † Crap

Arginine AKG (2200 Mg), Ornithine AKG (800mg)

FlooDurance™ 2400mg † Crap

Beta Alanine (1700 Mg), L-Tyrosine (700 Mg)

Energy & Antioxidant Flood Complex 3825mg † Crap

Inosine, Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA), Glucuronolactone, Natural Caffeine, Potassium Gluconate, Cocoa Bean (Extracted For 99% Theobromine), Evodia Rutaecarpa (95% Evodiamine Extract), L-Norvaline, Sugar Cane (Extracted For 60% Octacosanol), Coenzyme Q10, Vinpocetine, Alpha-Carotene, Zeaxanthin, Crytoxanthin, Lutein, Folic Acid, Selenium, Huperzia Seratta (Extracted For 99% Huperzine A)

* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients

Maltodextrin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Artificial Colors

All of this good stuff can be found (for a much cheaper price) in something called FOOD

In my time over there, I have seen a lot of guys taking all kinds of performance enhancing products. I had a flight doc fly with us a couple of times and some of my crew was taking NO explode and other stuff like it. They asked him about it and he preaty much told them that it was just motivation in a bottle. I could get just about the same thing from the Rip It's that are at Salem, or drink Red Bull or some other kind of energy drink. But if you want to spend the money go ahead. But as for me on the loosing weight and getting into shape. The food was so bad that I just ate grilled cheese and lost weight. But just getting your ass to the gym to do some activity. Plus having to walk every where helps.

In my time over there, I have seen a lot of guys taking all kinds of performance enhancing products. I had a flight doc fly with us a couple of times and some of my crew was taking NO explode and other stuff like it. They asked him about it and he preaty much told them that it was just motivation in a bottle. I could get just about the same thing from the Rip It's that are at Salem, or drink Red Bull or some other kind of energy drink. But if you want to spend the money go ahead. But as for me on the loosing weight and getting into shape. The food was so bad that I just ate grilled cheese and lost weight. But just getting your ass to the gym to do some activity. Plus having to walk every where helps.

Dude, when I was at the Died back in Nam, my LM had some Myoplex that the mice broke into.. We came back to the tent and found some BUILT fvckin mice carrying sticks and shit. It was scary.

Edited by Nole_96

Eat right - reduce the carbs like rice, potatos, cake, etc. Eat raw veggies - the chow halls always have salad. Use fruit on the salad instead of dressing. The diet part can be tough while flying because of your food options. Before you depart, pick up a copy of the South Beach Diet. I hate that name, but it has some sound principles behind it. The main deal is that you eliminate carbs, then slowly work them back in, with an end result of eating less carbs than before you started. I will admit, eliminating carbs is hard.

Work out - if you don't run, start. Do it every workout. Short runs, long runs, fast runs, intervals...they all help take off the lbs. Do sit-ups and push-ups for the PFT. Top off the program with weights and stretching.

Supplements - stick with a high-quality multi-vitamin pack. Pills don't melt off fat, diet and exercise do.

Coffee - Drink it. Men don't give up coffee.

Out

- Workout with someone if able. A crewmember works best, if you can get the whole crew on a health kick, even better.

FF

Last time I was there, we managed to lose 40 lbs as a three man tanker crew in 30-ish days. Our boom lost the most, I think for two reasons:

1 - He had the highest starting point.

2 - He didn't drink.

Still, I was able to drop from 172 down to 160 pounds with a heavily marked beer card. I think the biggest things that help are:

-Boredom

-Doing it first thing after you wake up. no matter what time that is.

-No snacks in your room like you may have at your house

-raw veggies with every meal that fill you up instead of junk

As far as the eating goes, I'm one of those people who has to work aout a lot to maintain my weight since my eating habits are not the best. At those chow halls, you have to force yourself to make the right choices. Chicken vs burgers, rice vs. fries (you could eat fried potatoes at every meal if you wanted, no shit.), not going for seconds.

We pretty much used Toasty's philosophy and it worked.

crossfit. should have it any place over there. its fun, short and you dont have to run that often and youll still be running a faster 1.5 miles. dont waste your time with anything else. if you look at people that crossfit vs people that just workout. youll find more in shape people crossfitting than any where else. if the treadmill worked so well you wouldnt see every one taken up by a fat ass. just my 2 cents.

All of this good stuff can be found (for a much cheaper price) in something called FOOD

Precisely. GOOD food (in terms of non-calorie dense crap) is hard to get (or tough to choose over stuff like burgers and fries) when deployed from what I hear, correct me if I'm wrong. So, things like MRPs (with a good profile) are good supplements to get instead of pre-workout stuff. The whole NO thing isn't really backed up in my opinion, so why use it? I suggested White Flood since it's a better option to NO Xplode that someone else suggested.

Again, losing weight is mostly all in the diet. 2 pounds per week is about a 7,000 calorie deficit over those 7 days (-1000 cals per day). So...

1. Calculate your BMR http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

2. Multiply by an activity factor http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculat...edict-equation/ to figure out what your body needs in a day

3. Subtract 1,000 cals off of that to know what you need to eat to lose weight

4. Keep track (use www.thedailyplate.com or www.fitday.com or something. If not, a good old pad and pen work just as well)

5. Be consistent

Eat things like:

Chicken

Tuna

Brown rice (not white rice)

Turkey

Oatmeal

Eggs/egg whites

Green veggies (spinach, broccolli etc.)

Fish

Do not eat things like:

Stuff high in sugars, foods with artificial crap, the usual junk food, and unfortunately... :beer:

I just made it sound way more complicated that it is, but it helps give you a reference. Cals in < cals out = weight loss. Past that, it's about how much muscle you want to retain and what kind of shape you want to whip your body into. Some people will drop weight easily when deployed simply from the lifestyle change, some people won't. I hope for you it's the former since it's a pain to count calories and all that crap.

Edited by Krabs

Aurora85, here are your takeaways:

- Diet is at LEAST 80% of the weight loss equation. Make smart choices, and try to establish dietary habits that you can continue post-deployment. Otherwise, you'll go back to your old habits and your old weight.

- Do your homework before you take any supplements. I personally found that protein is the only thing that I really need supplemented while I'm out there. But your case will be unique to your routine and goals. Do your homework.

- For the energy drink stuff...well...some people swear by it, some people call it crap, some people claim it'll make your heart explode. I say do what works for you. I tried a bunch of different things, some aforementioned and other not. I like no xplode because I can see a marked difference in my workouts when I use it (I train for distance running and overall muscle strength). In my experience, NEVER take the advice of "experts who know what YOU need." Usually they only know what works for them, therefore it MUST work for everyone. Try different things and find what works for YOU.

Once again. Do your homework, trust me, you'll have the free time to do the research online (health/workout forums are a good place to start).

Good luck and fly safe!

FF

Aurora85, here are your takeaways:

- Diet is at LEAST 80% of the weight loss equation. Make smart choices, and try to establish dietary habits that you can continue post-deployment. Otherwise, you'll go back to your old habits and your old weight.

- Do your homework before you take any supplements. I personally found that protein is the only thing that I really need supplemented while I'm out there. But your case will be unique to your routine and goals. Do your homework.

- For the energy drink stuff...well...some people swear by it, some people call it crap, some people claim it'll make your heart explode. I say do what works for you. I tried a bunch of different things, some aforementioned and other not. I like no xplode because I can see a marked difference in my workouts when I use it (I train for distance running and overall muscle strength). In my experience, NEVER take the advice of "experts who know what YOU need." Usually they only know what works for them, therefore it MUST work for everyone. Try different things and find what works for YOU.

Once again. Do your homework, trust me, you'll have the free time to do the research online (health/workout forums are a good place to start).

Good luck and fly safe!

FF

^^ Well said.

Good luck with your goals.

Thanks. All great advice! What is going to be hard is what to eat while flying. I hope the box nasties aren't too bad. The missions are long so I"m going to have to stock up on good foods to eat.

Not sure if you'll have any of this there, but here's some ideas.

Peanut butter and jelly or honey, protein bars, bananas, almonds, peanuts, protein shakes out of a shaker bottle, MRP shakes, tuna, oats, etc.

Since I don't know what storage is like on the plane, you'll have to figure that out, but I know someone who's done some really long patrol flights in the Viper and he's been able to fit his lunch box on the side of his seat. It's filled with stuff to last a couple hours.