Laughlin Buffoonery

Guest pown3d

AFIs 36-2706 and 36-2909 come to mind off the top of my head.

Feel free to quote any part of those two AFIs that you feel apply to regulating how a superior officer is to verbally address a subordinate officer. More importantly, how the term "dude" would be judged as unprofessional and....how did you say it...."backed up by the AFI".

C'mon....those are the MEO and Professional Relationships regs. They have to do with discrimination and fraternization. You've gotta be able to do better than that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GAY!! I can't believe how much everyone has read into and torn apart an e-mail! As someone who received this e-mail 1st hand, it was half a joke anyway. My favorite part is that people complain about it being "leadership by e-mail" and then they analyze how they would have done it better. Whatever.

OH MY GAY!! I can't believe how much everyone has read into and torn apart an e-mail! As someone who received this e-mail 1st hand, it was half a joke anyway. My favorite part is that people complain about it being "leadership by e-mail" and then they analyze how they would have done it better. Whatever.

Care to elaborate on what's really going on, then? If this whole thing was blown out of proportion, why don't you take the time to re-cage some gyros instead of just "whatever."

Until you do,

EPIC FAIL: to Maj Douche for b!tching about people calling him 'dude', then addressing the APT Lt's as 'dudes'! LOW SA!

Yeah, dude.

Well, it's not exactly a joke. I happen to know a stud was stood up at the SOF desk and had to respond when asked why he was there: "Because I don't know how to say sir, sir."

In a completely unrelated topic, I like how we (studs) say sir, and I can't count how many times I've been called "dude." That fosters the perfect environment.

Based on what was presented, the e-mail, most of those comments have been accurate.

Any additional information can change the reaction as the conditions presented will have changed.

Until then, the e-mail ranks up there with the 'tuck in your PT shirt' e-mails with their threats of consequences.

Care to elaborate?

You are a stud and complaining about the UPT environment? STFU. Have an opinion when you get wings

"2"

There are thousands of people out there who would give any part of their anatomy to be in YOUR shoes. YOU are the "Chosen ones". Back in the tweet days, the IP's reached over, grabbed your O2 hose and pinched it closed while they were telling you something. This was to ensure you listened. Hell, I think it's kind of funny AND a good lesson you guys have to do this. I too, don't agree with the presentation of the concept, but the concept itself is a sound one. Bear with it, laugh at the craziness of having to do this, and learn from it while you are doing it. It's AETC, you want some wings, and AETC has what you want.

In a completely unrelated topic, I like how we (studs) say sir, and I can't count how many times I've been called "dude." That fosters the perfect environment.

What "environment" is it exactly that you feel should exist at UPT but doesn't because IPs are calling studs by a colloquial word like 'dude'?

If you think that being addressed in a casual way by a superior creates some kind of environment where you can't learn to fly a military airplane, then I highly suggest you either toughen the f*ck up or find a new line of work.

Again, I'm waiting on seeing that reg that tells me what the proper terminology is for a senior officer to address a subordinate officer and what would make use of 'dude' so radically unprofessional that it even remotely counterbalances a Lieutenant's requirement to call a superior 'sir'.

Edited by Hacker

IMHO, I think we should all drop the talk about the presence/absence of a reg on senior officers addressing subordinate officers, less someone from HQ (or anyone looking to add a star) reads this and decides AFI 27-989838877333 should be written and it will be 6,969 pages long! Yikes!

EDIT: Then there will be at least 3 CBTs that will need to be done annually, in addition to a full operations stand down for at least a week, with a few seminars and group discussions on how this all makes us "feel". Did I miss anything?

Edited by leadeagle05

IMHO, I think we should all drop the talk about the presence/absence of a reg on senior officers addressing subordinate officers, less someone from HQ (or anyone looking to add a star) reads this and decides AFI 27-989838877333 should be written and it will be 6,969 pages long! Yikes!

Valid.

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
EDIT: Then there will be at least 3 CBTs that will need to be done annually, in addition to a full operations stand down for at least a week, with a few seminars and group discussions on how this all makes us "feel". Did I miss anything?

Update to the Performance Feedback Worksheet:

In accordance with AFI 27-989838877333, demonstates proper respect

for senior leaders by calling them "Sir/Ma'am" and not "dude": <----------------------------x-->

If you don't want to call someone Sir, then call them by their rank. This usually pisses off the people in the Air Force who like the Sir/Ma'am address when talking to them.

The committee formed at each base to consider how to re-implement/rewrite the abysmal failure of such an AFI once it fails the second time. Perhaps a specific office in Wing staff, on par with the EO office, dedicated to enforcing such a policy. Perhaps an additional CBT...

If you don't want to call someone Sir, then call them by their rank. This usually pisses off the people in the Air Force who like the Sir/Ma'am address when talking to them.

It doesn't piss anyone off, it's just blatantly obvious that tools who do that are doing it specifically to avoid using the word sir. That's petty and makes you look like a child instead of the mature grown up you think you are acting like.

It's kind of like the airmen who will cross the street and look away instead of having to salute a 2nd Lieutenant. Dudes will literally cross the street to avoid lifting their arm! Like a salute is self degrading or something. Come on. You salute officers. You call them sir. It's been that way for thousands of years. Get over it, accept it, and you'll be a happier person.

On the other hand, it is perfectly acceptable to call a UPT student "dude."

It doesn't piss anyone off, it's just blatantly obvious that tools who do that are doing it specifically to avoid using the word sir. That's petty and makes you look like a child instead of the mature grown up you think you are acting like.

It's kind of like the airmen who will cross the street and look away instead of having to salute a 2nd Lieutenant. Dudes will literally cross the street to avoid lifting their arm! Like a salute is self degrading or something. Come on. You salute officers. You call them sir. It's been that way for thousands of years. Get over it, accept it, and you'll be a happier person.

On the other hand, it is perfectly acceptable to call a UPT student "dude."

It's not petty, it's protocol, and it's something that someone can do instead of saying "Sir" or "Ma'am."