Guard or OTS Pilot Slot

MojoF16

Guard or AD  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose

• Guard Viper Slot
    • OTS AD Pilot Slot

I know what I am going to do but am just curious to see what all of you would do in this situation...Got picked up off the street for a guard viper pilot slot and just found out my OTS recruiter rolled over an FY08 OTS Pilot slot application to the just released 0901 OTS Pilot Board. Curious to see what those of you on AD, in the guard, in ROTC/OTS, on casual etc would do in this situation. Nothing like having great options though it is a tough choice and kind of begs the question as to which is the better gig in today's world...guard or AD. Opinions wanted...talk it up

Edited by flyinjhawk

Take the guard slot and fly the -16. [Disclaimer: From an OTS dude in UPT right now.]

You have a guaranteed Viper slot with the guard which will include a couple of full-time years going through UPT, IFF, and the FTU. If you go active duty the competition and the timing required to get a Viper slot are almost insurmountable at the moment. You can take a guaranteed Viper with the guard or face an enormous uphill battle to earn one on active duty.

Do you have family? Do you prefer to stay in one place? Will you still have a job when you finish training?

I just nabbed a pilot slot on the 0901 board but I'd take the gaurd slot in a second because I have a great job and a nervous wife.

Do you have family? Do you prefer to stay in one place? Will you still have a job when you finish training?

I just nabbed a pilot slot on the 0901 board but I'd take the gaurd slot in a second because I have a great job and a nervous wife.

^2

Guard. Hands down. Only problem is theirs only 2 units here in AZ. Skyharbor and Tuscon. I hear the unit in Tuscon (Vipers) hires on very rare occasions and that most of their fliers are older guys.

Requirements also seem to be a whole lot stricter in the Guard.

Edited by yerfer

That would depend if you want to be full-time or part-time.

Me? I'd choose the Viper slot.

I want to be full time. My dream would be to be AGR or be a Trad Pilot with a GS job in our around the unit.

Take the guard slot and fly the -16. [Disclaimer: From an OTS dude in UPT right now.]

You have a guaranteed Viper slot with the guard which will include a couple of full-time years going through UPT, IFF, and the FTU. If you go active duty the competition and the timing required to get a Viper slot are almost insurmountable at the moment. You can take a guaranteed Viper with the guard or face an enormous uphill battle to earn one on active duty.

Big F*ucking 2! I was in ROTC and all of my bros are either in or getting ready for UPT as AD guys and stuff is kind of gloomy.

Like every other wide-eyed, over motivated SNAP I have wanted to be a fighter pilot since I can remember and refuse to see the obvious that UAVs are the future and can probably do everything a task saturated, formation flying, g limited human fighter pilot can do.

Heavies will stayed manned for a very long time if not forever but fighters will most likely not. With AD where it is, I kind of see the guard (besides dudes who get lucky enough to pull Raptor slots) as the last bastion of the fighter pilot. The future is bleak but I guess I view myself as lucky as I may be getting my dream in before it isn't possible anymore.

Although I'd favor the Guard slot, which Guard unit is it? What is their outlook for the next 5 years?

BRAC? Predators? Change from Vipers to A-10C's?

I asked these questions both in my interview to the higher ups and around to the rest of the dudes multiple times. From what I understand as a new hire who also knows the answers to these questions may be sugar coated, this unit is in a great spot. And that is supposedly a quote from the 0-7 overseeing the unit.

They actually got an increase in the number of jets from BRAC and from what I can gather/hope is they would be given A-10Cs if Vipers were to be phased out before the guard starts getting 35s in the 2020s (projected). They just got back from a deployment were the CSAF or one of his people supposedly gave them some award basically saying there were the best unit in their AEF rotation or at their deployed location or something of the sort. I heard they didn't miss a sortie (if that is possible) and their maintenance guys where getting their jets done and going over and showing the AD maintainers how to fix the AD jets. It makes since, in the guard, you do your speciality and your speciality only. Whether it be flying, deploying, turning wrenchs, doing paperwork etc you do it (sts) with the same guys for 10-15+ years. These people are hands down experts in whatever it is they do.

Even talking with some AD guys I have met and stayed in contact with through being in ROTC; when I told them I got hired by this unit they had all heard of it and told me it is an awesome unit and I should be stoked. With all that said I know this is just hear-say and shit can change. I guess my opinion is that it isn't worth trying to predict the AF...it is gonna do what it is gonna do and if something bad happens I will just cross that bridge with the best attitude possible. At this point, the guard seems like a better option than AD and most of the AD fighter pilots I have talked to since getting hired have either been on their way to the guard or trying to set themselves up to palace chase at some point.

I just nabbed a pilot slot on the 0901 board but I'd take the guard slot in a second because I have a great job and a nervous wife.

I don't have a family. I am only 22 years old but I want to have a family in the future. The guard is hands down better for this. You can post up, fly, go TDY, Deploy all from the same place for your entire career.

You don't have to take a queep job unless you want it and if you do you still fly, deploy etc. From my understanding the guard treats it's pilots correctly and uses their expertise and experience instead of moving them around every 3 years to re-learn everything and re-learn the tendencies of the guys you fly with.

The big thing is where are you going to work when your not flying?

That is the big, scary question. The guard is a better gig as far as quality of life, flying, etc. IMO but it is scary that I might have to find a job in 5 years after AMS, IFS, UPT, IFF, RTU, and MQT. I was in ROTC and planned on being AD; that didn't work out and I think it happened for a reason - The Guard is the best kept secret in the AF and I am now guaranteed a viper as long as I STFU, work hard, don't F up and graduate in the top 1/2 of my class in UPT.

My college experience and mindset from the day I graduated high school has been focused on a career flying and fighting in the AF. I have a CDL and a Communication Studies degree. I don't want to have to get a civilian job, but to me, the Viper slot and the life in the guard is worth this possible negative to my situation. Hopefully, I will only have to get a civilian job for a few years before getting an AGR job or a GS job on the side as a Trad Pilot.

I want to give back to the unit that is giving me my dream shot and I don't know the in's and out's of transfering units but I will be willing to apply to other units and/or pointy nose airframes in order to get one of those AGR or GS spots.

So wow, lots of good stuff. Keep it going. If you couldn't tell by the above book, I am choosing the guard viper slot. Having to answer these questions is helping me feel better about my choice. AD dudes knock me back down to earth if I am off base here. Guard dudes "2" me if I'm right.

No offense, but this is a dumb poll/question.

This is like some guy saying, "hey, hedi klum said she wanted to do me today but I got an invitation to a party where some other models will be. What should I do?"

Cry me a river and nail Hedi!

F-16s and Guard, what else are you looking for?

No offense, but this is a dumb poll/question.

This is like some guy saying, "hey, hedi klum said she wanted to do me today but I got an invitation to a party where some other models will be. What should I do?"

Cry me a river and nail Hedi!

F-16s and Guard, what else are you looking for?

Agreed

I can't count how many times I have heard "wish I would have known about the guard." I have tons of AD friends that would kill to trade positions with me, I have yet to hear a guard guy willing to take that offer. Looking at the results....I would guess the 19.05%, that voted OTS, are your competitors for the guard position!

Edited by SocialD

It is a terrible time to be AD in UPT. I am about to graduate and I am seriously envious of our Guard/Reservists. Not only do they not have to worry about UAV/U-28 or RC-12, but they already know where they are going to be and what they are going to be flying. My class has a .5 point difference between then #2 Stud and the #13 stud out of 14 in the MASS. So if someone jacks up their NAV check they are going to go to Creech is what it comes down to. Guard dudes don't have to worry about it.

If you want to fly a fighter I would say that the Guard side is the way to go as well. My class only had 2 American 38s track and 2 Portuguese. I think that the majority after my trach has been about three per class out of about 25-30 studs. From what Ive heard you will still have to be in the top half of your T-6 class to continue to the 38, but that is definitely achievable if you work/study hard enough. I'm only speaking for the flying side of things and not the AD experience, which is great...stressful but great. Just seems that life would be alot less stressful right now if I was a Guard dude.

Guest CAVEMAN

Economy is bad so is the job market. Why not collect a pay check 1st and 15th for a while and see whatelse is out there.

Good 'ol "it depends". But not too much.

If you want to fly fighters, deploy and kill bad guys, aren't worried about a family right now, like where the base is, understand you may have to look for a job in 5 or so years, then it's a no brainer. As long as you do well in UPT, etc. you are going to fly a kickass LGPOS (I know, contradiction in terms) aircraft and have a ton of fun doing it. Go for the Guard slot. It's hard enough sts to get a fighter nowadays and have the best security that you'll do that for a while vs. fly pred's/do a staff tour/white jet etc.

Congrats man. You're going to have an even better time than you can imagine if you take a Guard F-16 slot. 10+ years for me and still having a blast...

Barney :rock::M16::flag_waving::beer::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Don't think you're immune from UAVs or any other of the "impacts' being laid upon the Air Force just because you are going Guard, that's far from the truth; but for the time being, the sure bet is on the Viper slot. You'd be a fool not to take it!

Cheers! M2

Don't think you're immune from UAVs or any other of the "impacts' being laid upon the Air Force just because you are going Guard, that's far from the truth; but for the time being, the sure bet is on the Viper slot. You'd be a fool not to take it!

Cheers! M2

just out of pure curiosity, what if "the slot" were to be a HOG slot??? what then? as this is the situation I am faced with

I'm not believing you guys are even asking this question, a bird (and a very cool one at that) in the hand v. who knows what in the bush???!!! I think it would be about the most fun airplane to fly. It's a super maneuverable jet with tons of firepower and you're in the middle of the fight (down low supporting the guys on the ground). I got to fly the OV-10 one summer in Alaska and after that experience I always wanted to fly the Hog (never got to). It seems to be similar type flying (rolling in on target, sighting potential targets, etc) but with the Hog you get to actually shoot the bad guys (instead of just marking them with WP) and the Hog is hung like a mule (sts). Obviously it's slower than the fast jets, but it would be a great jet to fly nonetheless. If you can really get a Hog slot, run, do not pass go.

• 2 weeks later...
I know what I am going to do but am just curious to see what all of you would do in this situation...Got picked up off the street for a guard viper pilot slot and just found out my OTS recruiter rolled over an FY08 OTS Pilot slot application to the just released 0901 OTS Pilot Board. Curious to see what those of you on AD, in the guard, in ROTC/OTS, on casual etc would do in this situation. Nothing like having great options though it is a tough choice and kind of begs the question as to which is the better gig in today's world...guard or AD. Opinions wanted...talk it up

You need your slot taken away from you and given to a person who will thank God every day they will be a pilot in the USAF. Quit bragging. Ungrateful SOB.