How many generations of flying in your family?

brickhistory

• 2 weeks later...

My father flew with Captain Randolph. Randolph AFB was named after him. As a kid, his widow would send me a present every Christmas,. At the time I didn't realize what a big deal that was.

During WW II, dad worked for Curtis-Wright and flew test flights of C-46's coming off the assembly line.

Me: BUFs, Destroyers, Thuds, Phantoms.

Maybe one of the grand kids will be a UAV flier when they grow up.

My Dad was first USAF, Major 23 years service: B-24, SB-17, SA-16, H-19, C-82, C-119, C-47, C-118 and EC-121

I was Navy E-6 Naval Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer SH-2F/HH-2D and SH-60F/HH-60H. Civilian pilot: ATP BE-1900, SF-340, DHC-8 and CL-65 (CRJ-200/900).

My grandfather flew P-38s out of Italy in 1945. Lots of good stories growing up, but he never told me about his DFC. My grandmother passed it on to me along with the citation after he died. I never thought much of my Air Medals/decorations and I think even less of them after reading that. He also had the most badass moustache I've ever seen. :beer:

2nd generation AF pilot. My dad did 10 years on active duty and another 15ish in the reserves as a Academy liaison officer. While on active duty he flew F-4s, A-10s, and F-16s.

I've flown preds and reapers so far in my short flying career.

First pilot in my family as well. C-130 legacys so far with a J transition class scheduled next year. My brother is a C-130 loadmaster (E/Hs before the J he currently flies on). I guess C-130s run in our family (at least this generation).

First pilot in my family as well. C-130 legacys so far with a J transition class scheduled next year. My brother is a C-130 loadmaster (E/Hs before the J he currently flies on). I guess C-130s run in our family (at least this generation).

Your brother is cool.

Second generation flying. But 6th overall serving. Grandpa on dads side was In the navy during WW2. Participated in all the major sea battles of the pacific. 2 silver stars and a navy cross. Grandpa on mom's side was an army bubba during Korea bronze star.

As for me just preds thus, should be getting paroled in the next drop or two for the UPT-D.

Great uncle (mom's side): Lt in the Army, KIA Bastonge

Great uncle (mom's side): Cpl in the Marines, KIA Iwo Jima

Grandfather (mom's side): Air cadet at the end of the war, was let go. Worked on the first flying wing and a civil servant at Hill with my grandmother.

Great uncle (mom's side): Naval pilot, A-4s

Grandfather (dad's side): Flight engineer on a B-17

Uncle: Retried USAF services major

Dad: retired USAF fighter pilot flying F-4s, OV-10s, and F-16s

Me: graduate the B course today at Luke QQMF!

I've got big shoes to fill. Thanks to all of your family members who have served!

• 2 weeks later...

:beer: To your grandfather, one of the greatest generation. Sorry for your loss.

If you haven't done so already, register and upload a photo of him at the National WWII memorial. I've done it for both my grandfathers and an uncle.

http://www.wwiimemor...or_nameaddr.asp

Thanks for the link!

• 3 weeks later...

Grandfather (dads side) Retired Lt. Col. Jag officer. In WW2 he was an enlisted guy working with radios on cargo aircraft I believe. Used the GI bill after the war, went to law school, became a judge and was also in the reserves. Ended up pinning Lt. Col. Had his PPL though. Died a few years back.

Grandfather (moms side) Enlisted in the Canadian Navy. Was in Submarines. WW2 as well. Also had his PPL.

Dad: F-4 pilot in the Navy (1976-1984). Still flying for Delta Airlines.

Oldest Brother: F-16 pilot in the Air Force and the ANG. 2001-present

Older Brother: C-130 pilot in the Air Force. 2007-present

I'm currently in AFROTC, waiting to hear if I get a pilot slot this February! Big shoes to fill myself. My passion and motivation to fly definitely came from my family, and growing up around it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dad flew H-34s in Vietnam and H-3s for the Navy Reserve before finishing his career in the Army National Guard flying the mighty H-1 Huey.

I'm the first fixed wing military pilot in the family, though all my brothers are in the military--one is an engineer in the Army National Guard and the other is getting his PhD in computer-geekness at AFIT.

I think I've finally passed Dad in Air Medals.

Great uncle flew B-24s in WW2. Im the first to be in the USAF. We have all the other branches covered, cept the Coast Guard, all the way back to the Revolution so the story goes.

Kinda cool flying the same sort of choppers my dad and uncle rode in.

My grandfather's grandfather fought with a North Carolina regiment and was wounded at Shiloh - walked with a limp the rest of his life after getting shot in the leg. As far as I know he's the closest relative I have that had any military service. I'm a first generation flyer too. Saw Top Gun when I was 8 and decided that was the coolest thing anyone could ever do.