How many generations of flying in your family?

brickhistory

Guest Hueypilot812

Aviation service:

Great-grandfather: Trained as a pilot from 1917, discharged in 1918 as a 2d Lieutenant when the war brought de-mobilization.

Grandfather: Entered Army in 1943, enlisted airborne infantry. Jumped into Normandy on D-Day with the 82nd Airborne (507th PIR???). Was discharged in 1945 during the de-mobilization, went to college and was commissioned in 1949 as a 2d Lieutenant in the infantry. Went to Korea, earned Bronze Star with V device as infantry platoon leader. In 1956, attended Army fixed-wing pilot training, flew O-1E Bird Dogs and U-6 Beavers. In early 1960s went through Rotary-wing school as well, flew OH-13s, UH-19s and CH-37s. Sent to Vietnam in 1965, commander of the 18th Aviation Company, flying U-1 Otters. Returned to Vietnam in 1967 working for MACV and attached UH-1D/H pilot. Commanded the Warrant Officer Candidate program in 1969, retired as an O-6.

Father: Entered Army in 1972 as infantry. Selected for rotary-wing pilot training and graduated in 1975. Flew AH-1G/R/S Cobras for the 1-229th Attack Helicopter Battalion, 101st Airborne, then AH-1S and OH-58C for the 3rd Aviation Brigade, 3rd ID in Germany. Switched branches to Engineer in 1981 (before there was an aviation branch) and was battalion XO for the composite battalion, 20th Engineer Brigade. Qualified in C-12 and UH-1, and went to staff job at DMAAC (now NGA) in St Louis, flying as an attached UH-1H IP (C-12s got contracted out). Retired as an O-4.

Me: Enlisted as construction equipment operator in the Louisiana Army Guard in 1992, went through WOCS/rotary-wing pilot training in 1996 and flew for both the 1-244th Aviation Regiment and the 812th Med Company (Air Ambulance) out of New Orleans, flying UH-1H and UH-1Vs. Went through USAF OTS, then UPT and flew C-21s and now C-130E/Hs.

Other military in my family:

Ancestor on mom's side: Phillip Delancy Meroney, had his own infantry regiment during the Revolutionary War.

other Great Grandfather: US Navy during WWI

other Grandfather: drafted into US Army as a radio operator, upon finding out he had gone through pharmacy training in college, sent to OCS and became a pharmacist for the US Army in the Pacific. Served as a medic and waded ashore on Okinawa on the first day of the invasion, still doesn't say much about that one. Served as a pharmacist and medic on Okinawa until the end of the war. Discharged as a 1LT when war was over.

Grandmother: Army nurse on Okinawa...met my grandfather there. Discharged when war was over as a 1LT.

Uncle, dad's side: Flew F-16s back in the 1980s...got out, got hired by Pan Am (bad choice). Laid off and was out of flying for a while. Got hired by AFRC KC-135 unit, and now retired from the Reserves but flies for UPS.

Edited by Hueypilot812

My granddad was too young to serve in WWII, but too old/married with kids to serve in Korea.

My other grandpappy was a Marine in Korea.

My old man managed to find a gig in the national guard during Vietnam.

I am the first Officer in my family (that I know of) and for sure the first flyer in my family. Consequently they all think I'm nuts.

Great Uncle- B-25 gunner shot down and survived in WWII

Grandfather- Ret AF O-6: Nav turned C-130 pilot, Blind Bat missions in Vietnam/flew various other a/c

Grandfather- Ret AF CMSgt

Uncle- Coastie C-130's

Dad- T-38 IP, Eagle Driver, now AA bus driver

Mom- T-37 IP, C-21's

Me: Born at XL, currently smashing bugs in a T-39 in Pensacola, hoping to select the Strike Eagle

Great Uncle- B-25 gunner shot down and survived in WWII

Grandfather- Ret AF O-6: Nav turned C-130 pilot, Blind Bat missions in Vietnam/flew various other a/c

Grandfather- Ret AF CMSgt

Uncle- Coastie C-130's

Dad- T-38 IP, Eagle Driver, now AA bus driver

Mom- T-37 IP, C-21's

Me: Born at XL, currently smashing bugs in a T-39 in Pensacola, hoping to select the Strike Eagle

It was definitely in your blood... with their pedigree your parents might have disowned you had you chosen finance or something besides flying!!!

Guest Hueypilot812

One thing I always thought was cool is that my grandfather, dad and I all flew the UH-1H Huey at some point in our careers. Not too many can say that three generations in one family were qualified in the same MDS, much less model. I love the Huey...simple aircraft, fun to fly, and obviously pretty enduring.

Grandfather: Navy-WWII destroyers

Great-uncle: Marines- WWII second wave at Iwo, Bronze Star, still has blue phosphorus burns on his face, crazy.

Uncle: Vietnam special forces, I don't know a whole lot about him.

Cousin: Currently in Iraq with 10th Mountain.

I'm the first officer and the first to join the Air Force, the flying dynasty has to start somewhere! (well maybe after I learn the DA-20 :thumbsup: )

Seriously though, reading about the amazing military history is some of your families is truly humbling, much respect and thanks! :flag_waving:

Great thread

Grandfather X 30: Revolutionary war - probably need to research this a bit more

Great Great Great (I think) grandfather: Civil war, Florida

Grandfather: WWII Army photographer in Pacific (has melted sand he claimed was from Hiroshima > died of cancer)

Grandfather: WWII Navy - Pacific

Dad: Navy - surface warfare officer then flew the F-4, A-6 IP, F-18 & C-12. Retired 0-5 after 21 yrs -SWA capt now

Brother: Navy Ensign - surface warfare officer - probably going to be 4 and out

Me: E5 loadmaster in the guard with a UPT slot to fly the C-130...hopefully heading to school in August

I'm Trying to be the second in the family to fly. My baby bro turned down flying in the Navy due to the long commitment. I think he has had enough of the military and is ready to split.

Great thread

Grandfather X 30: Revolutionary war - probably need to research this a bit more

Great Great Great (I think) grandfather: Civil war, Florida

Grandfather: WWII Army photographer in Pacific (has melted sand he claimed was from Hiroshima > died of cancer)

Grandfather: WWII Navy - Pacific

Dad: Navy - surface warfare officer then flew the F-4, A-6 IP, F-18 & C-12. Retired 0-5 after 21 yrs -SWA capt now

Brother: Navy Ensign - surface warfare officer - probably going to be 4 and out

Me: E5 loadmaster in the guard with a UPT slot to fly the C-130...hopefully heading to school in August

I'm Trying to be the second in the family to fly. My baby bro turned down flying in the Navy due to the long commitment. I think he has had enough of the military and is ready to split.

The Navy? No wonder.

...but AETC ain't much better. Enjoy Lieutenant Daycare...

First one in the family (myblood). Grandfather was an MP

Have to attribute my passion for flying to my uncle. Went to his UPT grad at age 6...took me into his 135..that was it for me. balls to the wall since then about flying.

"...son I wanna know what is is you wanna be....I said I'll never wear a tie, but I like the color green....I think I'm gonna wanna fly a fukin F-16.."

:salut:

-summers

Edited by Tsummers

Third generation Air Force Pilot

Grandfather (dad's side) - B-17 and B-24 Pilot in WWII

Gradnfather (mom's side) - Navy Submarine engineer

Great Uncle (dad's side) - B-24 pilot shot down over germany

Great Aunt (mom's side) - Worked for the Office of strategic Service during WWII

Uncle - C-141 Pilot

Father - C-141 Pilot

Me- MC-130 Pilot

First one of my family to fly. The first plane I flew in I jumped out of; since then I've decided staying with the aircraft is a better idea.

More info than the thread asked for, but figured it was worth it. Family has been at it since the Civil War, and maybe even before that.

Third generation pilot in my family.

Grandfather Mom's side--Flew in the Air Force during WWII mostly training other guys and ferry flights, then went on to several now defunct companies and flew for 20+ years.

Grandfather Dad's side--Did ROTC at the same University I graduated from, but for the Army. Back when Calvalry actually had horses and pulled guns around. Changed serviecs during WWII and retired from the AF as an O-5. First one in the family to be stationed at Vance.

Dad--Was in Class 70-02 at Vance (second on in the family and probably flew some of the same Tweets I did) and then went on to Fly BUFFS and on to Space Command after that. Retired after 20 years.

Uncle--Retired as an O-5 in the Army.

Uncle--Did a 4 year stint and got out as a Capt back in the early 70's.

Uncle--Did almost 20 years on the Enlisted side and then got out. Mostly missles.

Father-in-law--Did 20 years and retired as a Master Sergeant. (Did a long stint at Vance.....see a trend here???)

Cousin--Graduated from USMA and did his 6 years.

Sister-in-law--Did her time active as a nurse, moved to the reserves and then finally got out at the begining of this year.

Brother-in-law--Did 20 years mostly as an AGE guy (Let's hear it for AGE!!!!) and then got out as well.

Wife--BMT and medically discharged, which worked out great. We never would have met if that hadn't happened.

Me--Went to JSUNT and then on to the mighty AWACS (lol) for a tour before heading back to JSUPT at Vance (third generation at that base) and then on to the Herc as a Pilot.

One thing I always thought was cool is that my grandfather, dad and I all flew the UH-1H Huey at some point in our careers. Not too many can say that three generations in one family were qualified in the same MDS, much less model. I love the Huey...simple aircraft, fun to fly, and obviously pretty enduring.

I agree that the three generations of the same model are cool, but I have to say that having three generations all transit the same base (Vance AFB for me) was even cooler. Just wish my Grandfather could have been well enough to travel to my graduation at UPT. Dad made it and even he thought the base was so close to what he remembered. A small aside, even my Father-In-Law did a stint at the base. Kinda cool in this age of downsizing and base closure.

Cheers.

:beer:

Guest viper24

Mom was a nurse in the ANG - seperated before she actually went to BMT

Dad was a crew chief on the Herk - 14 years AD, out now

oldest brother was 14 years enlisted as a CCT/PJ, now a O-3 CRO (still AD)

second oldest bro is a AGE mechanic (still in the reserves)

uncle was a buff pilot, retired a O-5

So my mom fixes wounds, dad and second oldest bro get planes in the air, oldest bro rescues down pilots, and uncle was a flyer...good cast to surround me as a soon to be winged pilot.

Guest Hueypilot812
I agree that the three generations of the same model are cool, but I have to say that having three generations all transit the same base (Vance AFB for me) was even cooler. Just wish my Grandfather could have been well enough to travel to my graduation at UPT. Dad made it and even he thought the base was so close to what he remembered. A small aside, even my Father-In-Law did a stint at the base. Kinda cool in this age of downsizing and base closure.

That is pretty cool, same thing with my family too. Grandfather got winged at Fort Wolters (near Mineral Wells, TX) in the 1950s, but went through Fort Rucker in the 1960s to get his rotary-wing ratings. He was also commander of the Warrant Officer Candidate School at Fort Rucker back in the late 1960s.

My dad went through rotary-wing pilot training in 1974-1975 at Fort Rucker as well. He lived in Ozark, AL as a dependent in High School.

I graduated from rotary-wing flight training in 1997, and my dad was there, and we had a good time going to the museum and seeing him show me where he had gone to school (much of the old Fort Rucker...ie, wooden buildings...had been torn down, although you can still see where some of the roads are). My grandfather was unable to come due to age, but after graduating I did visit him shorty before he died and he told me all this old stories of the place.

Aside from my uncle, I am the only other one in my family that went Air Force. My uncle was an F-16 pilot in the late 1970s and early to mid-1980s. The one duty station I remember him telling me about was being at MacDill AFB back when it hosted F-16s. I don't get to talk to him much, but he was at my brother's wedding last year and tried to outdrink me...something about Herk pilots can't handle drinking like a fighter pilot...my response was something like "fight's on old man". We both managed to stumble to our respective rides...so I guess it was a draw.

• 3 weeks later...

4th generation pilot, 3rd generation AF (hopeful)

Dad flew C-130's in Germany in the 80's

Grandfather flew B-24's/B-17's

Great Grandfather sputtered around a workshop with his cousin and built some sort of flying aircraft.

In addition:

Great Uncle: Huey gunner in Vietnam (KIA)

Great Great Uncle: Onboard Navy Submarine in WW2 (KIA)

• 3 years later...

Grandfather flew for 40 years in C-130s USAF/MOANG

Grandmother worked in Operations for 40 years USAF/MOANG

2 Uncles retired from US Navy, worked with the subs

Father works in maintenance with USAF/MOANG

Brother is in fire and rescue with USAF/MOANG

Step-brother is C-130 loadmaster USAF/MOANG - currently deployed comes home soon!

Myself - recently accepted as a CSO with the USAF/MOANG - will be the first officer in the family, cant wait to get started!

Great thread, glad it got revived.

Not much military background, with a few exceptions:

Grandfather: Army WWII vet and one of the first American boots on the ground in N Korea and also one of the first to map out the country with western maps.

Second Grandfather: Naval Officer, not a pilot

One uncle went to the USAFA in the 70s with hopes of becoming an F-111 pilot, but decided it wasn't for him and ended up as a contractor.

If I make it, I'll be the first in my family to be an AF officer and a military flyer.

When I was 8 my dad asked "Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?" I said "Gee dad, a pilot just like you were (WWII F4U Cosairs). He responded "Good! But you can't do both." : 2nd generation aviator.

• Upvote 1

4th generation military, 3rd generation pilot:

Great Great Grandfather: Civil War, was at the Treaty of Appomatax in Virginia

Dad's dad: Attended aviation officer's school at Sheppard and attended AT-6 and P-47 pilot training at Keesler AFB, though never saw combat because WWII had come to an end.

Mother's dad: Army Infantry in the European-African Campaign.

Dad: Flew CH-46's in Camp Lejeune and T-34's at VT-3 in the early 80's. Moved on to UH-1's and -60's at Los Alamitos AAF, CA. Career ended due to medical. Retired in 1997.

Me: Enlisted in the ANG during college, UPT 2004-2006, flying LC-130's for the ANG since 2006.