WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

• 5 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Anyone having any deployment issues with people over 30 BMI? I’m hearing people not being allowed to deploy of over 30 BMI...

There was some guidance released last week, well “kinda“ guidance. We are trying to figure it out. PM me a .mil if you want more info. 

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

There was some guidance released last week, well “kinda“ guidance. We are trying to figure it out. PM me a .mil if you want more info. 

Holy shit, he was actually serious?  Oh man, first the cluster fuck that is how you quarantine....now this.  You can't make this shit up!   

Did you say obese or a beast?

Edited by SocialD

6 hours ago, SocialD said:

Holy shit, he was actually serious?  Oh man, first the cluster fuck that is how you quarantine....now this.  You can't make this shit up!   

Did you say obese or a beast?

Oh ya, he’s  serious.  Pretty much as he said, if you have a BMI over 30 you need a waiver to deploy, as some CDC study or something came out saying people with a BMI over 30 are more likely to have Corona virus complications. 

For the general population it might make sense, but for fit people BMI is a absolutely horrible indicator of over fitness. Hint hint, muscle weighs more than fat, and plenty of military folks weight lift. 

And ya, quarantine and airlift are still a total CF. 

Sorry folks, nothing really secret, If Danger41 needed more info I  didn’t want to disclose deployment timelines and processes all over the webs, and a lot of the processes/waivers/tracking are pretty uncertain at this point so I didn’t want to spread bad info. 

50 minutes ago, flynutt said:

Not to be "that guy" but a minor point that muscle does not weigh more than fat.  1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat.  Muscle is more dense, therefore 1 pound of muscle will take up less space than 1 pound of fat.

You might be the only person who doesn’t understand the conversation. 

6 hours ago, flynutt said:

Not to be "that guy" but a minor point that muscle does not weigh more than fat.  1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat.  Muscle is more dense, therefore 1 pound of muscle will take up less space than 1 pound of fat.

You don’t say. 1lb=1lb. I would have never guessed. 

On 9/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, torqued said:

You might be the only person who doesn’t understand the conversation. 

I fully understand the conversation, thank you.

18 hours ago, viper154 said:

You don’t say. 1lb=1lb. I would have never guessed. 

Well, you did say that muscle weighs more than fat.  I understood what you were saying, but your statement was incomplete as stated.  

5 hours ago, flynutt said:

I fully understand the conversation, thank you.

Well, you did say that muscle weighs more than fat.  I understood what you were saying, but your statement was incomplete as stated.  

Because a 5 gallon bucket full of muscle does in fact weigh more that a 5 gallon bucket full of fat. It’s pretty self explaining that a pound of something = a pound of something. 

You completely missed the entire point of the conversation to contribute absolutely nothing to be a smart ass. 

Break Break

Follow up to the original poster-local policy given was that individuals must self identify their BMI, if they fall over 30 they are to get a in person assessment to get laser scanned or water tanked or whatever the process is to determine their true muscle/fat/bone composition. That report will then be submitted with other medical documents for a waiver. How your Med group handles getting the information and more accurate body composition numbers for the waiver seems to be up to individual med groups. Waivers get sent up to whoever handles those. 

Reports I’ve gotten are that people are getting denied if they are in fact “high risk” 

16 hours ago, viper154 said:

Because a 5 gallon bucket full of muscle does in fact weigh more that a 5 gallon bucket full of fat. It’s pretty self explaining that a pound of something = a pound of something. 

You completely missed the entire point of the conversation to contribute absolutely nothing to be a smart ass. 

Break Break

Follow up to the original poster-local policy given was that individuals must self identify their BMI, if they fall over 30 they are to get a in person assessment to get laser scanned or water tanked or whatever the process is to determine their true muscle/fat/bone composition. That report will then be submitted with other medical documents for a waiver. How your Med group handles getting the information and more accurate body composition numbers for the waiver seems to be up to individual med groups. Waivers get sent up to whoever handles those. 

Reports I’ve gotten are that people are getting denied if they are in fact “high risk” 

So all I need to do to avoid a 365 is get really fat?

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

So all I need to do to avoid a 365 is get really fat?

Probably want to sprinkle in a little something else as well just to be safe, but the fatter the better. I was talking with a non ops CC that had about 50% of his squadrons waivers get denied. There was no feed back on what caused some to get approved and some denied. 

37 minutes ago, SocialD said:

We're about to head out the door and our leadership hasn't heard a thing about it.   I'm wondering if my waiver would get approved since I already had the rona a few weeks ago...

Having a prior positive Covid test was disqualifying on one of the memos, I can’t remember which one it was, there were several from organizations, so depending on where you are going it may or may not matter. Only justification the peanut gallery sitting around the office could think of was that for some people COVID does some long term damage. I would assume if you were asymptotic or have no other issues you would be fine, but you know what happens with assumptions, especially in a government organization.

Couple caveats, I got about 10 million things going on and most of this is way above my level,  and probably the levels of most the people on here, just relaying what’s getting pushed down and info Im getting off of being CCd on these emails. Also, a lot of our guidance is coming from outside the normal big blue channels, as the people we work for and places we go don’t usually involve places with 12,000ft runways and 69,000 useless “support” bodies. 

• Upvote 1