WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Well, according to their tax filings, Venture Humanity Inc. has received about $50k/year and has about $50k/year in expenses, so I have a hard time believing that they've raised $8m since 2001. Especially considering the McGuire event raised a whopping $597. And of course, that $597 was actually a comparative loss considering it took a couple dozen (S)NCOs and officers a couple of hours to raise it. This is why corporate philanthropy is dumb.

This is an example of progressive idealogy?

Oh yeah, I forgot the opposing conservative stance on the issue, #RapeThemKillThemAndDumpTheBodies.

As pointlessly symbolic as this was it makes my head hurt to think of the paranoia you must live with if you can find partisan politics in this. WTF indeed.

What paranoia? And yes, it is progressive ideology--make it look like you care and that you're doing something without actually having to sacrifice anything and/or produce results. But hey, as long as it 'felt right' then it's all good.

Oh and you might try to understand the difference between ideological differences (philosophy) and partisanship. As for the conservative ideology, I have no clue, you'll have to ask them. Though I have yet to hear prominent conservatives holding up signs that say '#RapeThemKillThemAndDumpTheBodies'.

What paranoia? And yes, it is progressive ideology--make it look like you care and that you're doing something without actually having to sacrifice anything and/or produce results. But hey, as long as it 'felt right' then it's all good.

You are so right. Progressives have a corner on that market. Never have I ever seen an alternate philosophy politician (if you can even call the first lady a politician) champion a cause in a wholly symbolic way for personal gain without actually doing anything meaningful to change it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Insert faceplam .jpeg of epic proportions here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd dig up a couple examples for you, but I don't have enough years left on this Earth to compile a representative sample.

Though I have yet to hear prominent conservatives holding up signs that say '#RapeThemKillThemAndDumpTheBodies'.

That was pretty much my point. It's called satire.

• Downvote 2

"social media activism" is a more accurate description. Very easy to do from the comfort of one's keyboard.

Well, according to their tax filings, Venture Humanity Inc. has received about $50k/year and has about $50k/year in expenses, so I have a hard time believing that they've raised $8m since 2001. Especially considering the McGuire event raised a whopping $597. And of course, that $597 was actually a comparative loss considering it took a couple dozen (S)NCOs and officers a couple of hours to raise it. This is why corporate philanthropy is dumb.

The event founder, Frank Baird is a "Life Coach" and he smells like an opportunist. Just check out his store:

http://walkamileinhershoes.org/Store/store.html#.VTSrdZOAngM

also this:

http://walkamileinhershoes.org/Walk_Event_Experience/signingin.html#.VTSueZOAngM

We recommend you provide Official Walk Shoes for your men.These shoes were designed specifically for Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® and insure that men will have a very different experience from walking in their own comfortable every day shoes.. They will not have this experience it in other shoes, shoes without heals, flip flops, etc. By wearing Official Walk Shoes, men will also feel part of the international community of men walking in these shoes all around the world. We recommend you have a Registration Fee that helps you cover the costs of Walk Shoes and Merchandise. You may charge this fee to everyone or only to men intending to Walk in official Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® red high-heels. More details on funding your Walk Event can be found here.

Have a Sign-In table where men can register to Walk and pay the registration fee or submit proof that they've already registered online. Provide the men with one pair of shoes to use for the duration of the Walk. You can hold their shoes for their convenience and as collateral until the end of the Walk when they return their Official Walk Shoes. You can use these shoes again for another Walk Event or lend, rent, or sell these shoes to another Walk Organizer for their Walk Event.

Edited by PanchBarnes

Mark1 there is truth to what the others are saying. I may be older than you (53) and I can tell you that back in the 80's the press shitted all day long on Reagan. His wife Nancy once famously started an anti-drug campaign with a catch line of "Just Say No". This was ridiculed and lambasted by the press as simplistic and out of touch...the picture of Michelle Obama is pathetic and it's considered caring and empathetic. Liberals like to enact programs and policies to "feel good about tacking an issue" and then they walk away with no follow-up....it's called the "politics of good intentions". An Example of this is the massive expansion of welfare causing the decay of the family in the inner cities, another is the expansion of the student loan program which many feel is the major force behind the unchecked costs of college ( 3 to 5 times the rate of inflation). That's the tip of the iceberg

Mark1 there is truth to what the others are saying. I may be older than you (53) and I can tell you that back in the 80's the press shitted all day long on Reagan. His wife Nancy once famously started an anti-drug campaign with a catch line of "Just Say No". This was ridiculed and lambasted by the press as simplistic and out of touch...the picture of Michelle Obama is pathetic and it's considered caring and empathetic. Liberals like to enact programs and policies to "feel good about tacking an issue" and then they walk away with no follow-up....it's called the "politics of good intentions". An Example of this is the massive expansion of welfare causing the decay of the family in the inner cities, another is the expansion of the student loan program which many feel is the major force behind the unchecked costs of college ( 3 to 5 times the rate of inflation). That's the tip of the iceberg

I made no comment on whatever bigger picture might have been discussed earlier in the thread. I couldn't have because I literally didn't see anything in this thread but the post containing the picture of the first lady.

It's this simple: She's holding up a piece of paper that implies that she feels bad about the Boko Haram kidnappings, and hopes that that the girls make it out safely.

Since I didn't see any non-progressive politicians featured in pictures of them holding up hashtags conveying opposing views....you know, perhaps like "#RapeThemKillThemAndDumpTheBodies", for example...I assume that they all generally agree with the sentiment she's conveying. If that's not the case, by all means show me the non-progressive politician who felt, "I hope they all die miserable deaths" about the situation and went out of their way to advertise that to the world.

Assuming you won't find an example of that, the point is that there is no distinguishing factor between her (progressive) sentiment and that of any other ideological viewpoint. Therefore, to respond with partisanship (it's appropriate HeloDude, look it up) is a sign of neurosis.

There are plenty of legitimate differences in ideology to attack. Go after those. You just cheapen your own argument when you so rabidly clamor for something to criticize that you end up finding fault where there is none.

• Downvote 1

You are so right. Progressives have a corner on that market. Never have I ever seen an alternate philosophy politician (if you can even call the first lady a politician) champion a cause in a wholly symbolic way for personal gain without actually doing anything meaningful to change it.

Since I'm a nice guy, I'm going to help you out with the emotional hurt you're obviously experiencing. Here you go:

Screen-Shot-2015-02-17-at-4.29.41-AM-640

Just another example of progressives holding up a hashtag sign...how did that work out? Perhaps the hashtag signs is now strong part of using diplomacy as an instrument of power? But hey, it felt awesome to hold up that sign as Crimea was being taken by Putin...

We are a superpower, so it makes me laugh when our leaders say things and hold up signs but in fact don't actually do much of anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy the President decided to not engage militarily...but holding up a sign essentially saying we want to help Ukraine is laughable, especially when you look at the results. Just like having a base function where men walk in women shoes.

• Upvote 3

We are a superpower, so it makes me laugh when our leaders say things and hold up signs but in fact don't actually do much of anything.

Oh good. More one-off, cherry-picked, anecdotal examples purported to be representative of one, and only one, ideological belief system (nevermind the fact that these people are again, barely classifiable as politicians, and certainly not leaders of the country).

You do understand that politicians of all ideological convictions make a living off of saying things that they don't have to follow through on, no? Every presidential campaign depends on it.

On principle I refuse to post any of the readily accessible pictures of conservatives holding up retarded hashtags for causes they brain-dumped two seconds after their press secretary snapped the photo. You're apparently blind to them, so why waste my time. As I said earlier, I don't have enough days left on Earth to gather a representative sample.

The fact that you only actually internalize politicians promising the world and then not delivering for one very specific belief system while absolving those who do the same thing but are more like-minded with you is sad. It's as sad as meaningless gestures taking the place of necessary actions.

• Downvote 3

Since I'm a nice guy, I'm going to help you out with the emotional hurt you're obviously experiencing. Here you go:

Screen-Shot-2015-02-17-at-4.29.41-AM-640

Just another example of progressives holding up a hashtag sign...how did that work out? Perhaps the hashtag signs is now strong part of using diplomacy as an instrument of power? But hey, it felt awesome to hold up that sign as Crimea was being taken by Putin...

We are a superpower, so it makes me laugh when our leaders say things and hold up signs but in fact don't actually do much of anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy the President decided to not engage militarily...but holding up a sign essentially saying we want to help Ukraine is laughable, especially when you look at the results. Just like having a base function where men walk in women shoes.

This is what made me view Michelle Obama's hashtag activism with distaste. Taking to the internet en mass is a way for the people to force those in power to do something or pay attention to an issue...Michelle, on the other hand, has very close access to someone with a LOT of power. Yet she's on the internet holding a sign, as if she doesn't interact with POTUS basically every day. If Michelle wants something done, she knows who to talk to. Did President Obama shoot her down, and force her to take to Twitter to make her point? I doubt it.

To me, it would be like the Waltons holding a sign protesting for better wages for Wal-Mart employees, or Tim Cook holding a sign protesting working conditions at the Foxconn facility where iPhones are made.

• Upvote 4

Who are these guys? They're not ROTC or American.

Ref my previous post.

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 2

So does anyone else feel like this entire demonstration is incredibly sexist? Ironic that there's an event that centers around reducing sexual assault and its underlying causes by having guys walk around in bright red heels - because clearly, what other kind of shoes would a woman wear?

I hope they don't add this to some part of training for new officers. This kind of takes out the coolness factor of wanting to be a fighter pilot. "Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting that call saying I got a UPT slot. However, I'm more excited about throwing on some heels so I can talk to my wife more in depth about nail polish and what's trending with the other moms."

I hope they don't add this to some part of training for new officers. This kind of takes out the coolness factor of wanting to be a fighter pilot. "Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting that call saying I got a UPT slot. However, I'm more excited about throwing on some heels so I can talk to my wife more in depth about nail polish and what's trending with the other moms."

Future Eagle pilot

• Upvote 3

However, these are both. Disgraceful. Good to know that I look unprofessional if I roll my sleeves up a little bit...

I'm wearing my morale patches with no apologies from now on if they are OK having dudes run around in heels in their uniforms.

• Upvote 2

These guys have been set up. These pictures will haunt them the rest of their (short) careers.

At my Oklahoma high school in '67 or '68, they had a Mess (fill in the HS name) pageant for males in drag. The guy that won committed suicide before the 5th anniversary because of the ribbing he received. There was nothing ever vicious said, he was a nice and well liked guy, it just turned out to be what he was most remembered for and talked about.

LS

The way I see it...

Recent priorities of the American Military (in apparent order of importance):

1. Furthering social "progress"

2. Jobs program for congressional constituencies

3. Political poker chip for elections

4. Defense of the nation and its interests

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how this fits in perfecting our skills of killing people and breaking their stuff or intimidates those who we might want to modify their behavior. How absolutely ridiculous.

It's because "killing people and breaking their stuff" isn't the concern of the upper echelons of the military anymore. We just have to make sure we aren't quibbling about appeasing every minority group, and doing whatever we can to stop all the rapist pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because "killing people and breaking their stuff" isn't the concern of the upper echelons of the military anymore. We just have to make sure we aren't quibbling about appeasing every minority group, and doing whatever we can to stop all the rapist pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. My previous base wouldn't let us put EKIA in OPR/EPRs.