WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

43 minutes ago, bfargin said:

Prozac, Every Christian in the world believes your example. That belief and statement is not controversial at all except by the alphabets and their cheer squad.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/views-about-same-sex-marriage#views-about-same-sex-marriage

57% of Catholics, 57% of mainline Protestants, and 54% of orthodox Christians in the US say when asked that they support same sex marriage so…do with that what you will! I don’t think your assertion is true.

I will counter by claiming that 99.9% of Pastafarians are pro same sex marriage, and this cannot be so easily disproven. 0.1% allowances because every group has that one asshole. 🤷‍♂️

Ye do what ye wish with yer sexy parts mateys!

Edited by nsplayr

The Bible, from Genesis to Revelation lays out the order in this world and in God’s design (even the relationship between Christ and the Church is illustrated by the bridegroom and the bride). The whole Bible unapologetically claims the only sexual relationship that is within Gods will/plan is between a husband and wife. Anything sexual outside of that is sin. You’d have to ignore the whole Canon of scripture to believe that homosexual activity is not sinful.

As far as that research, pew research also showed that more than 50% of claimed Christians in America also claim to believe that casual sex is not sinful. Almost 25% also claimed that Christ’s death and resurrection are not necessary for reconciliation with God the Father (salvation). There’s a ton of secular Protestants and Catholics who claim the label of Christian but don’t actually believe in Biblical Christianity. Only God knows their heart, but denying necessary Christian beliefs and claiming Christianity seems suspect. I acknowledge we’re all hypocrites too often, but disbelief in essential doctrine is more than hypocrisy.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/08/31/half-of-u-s-christians-say-casual-sex-between-consenting-adults-is-sometimes-or-always-acceptable/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Funny how you mention Liberty University wrt saying gay marriage is a sin…and then using a comparison have to say Muslim “extremists”…not once, but twice.  Why couldn’t you have just said Muslims?  Or is Liberty University the same as Muslim “extremists” in your mind?  

Oh boy. I thought we were having a conversation about whether Christians were mistreated by the media. I’ll remind you of your own argument:

18 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Example—how often is it reported about how Christian denominations are against LGBT-whatever, abortions, gay marriage, etc compared to how often it’s reported how the Muslim faith sees those same issues.

Since Liberty is rather notorious for making such statements, I chose them as an example. Mind you, I’m not judging their or your beliefs here, just making note of the example that you yourself presented. And no, it’s not just Muslim extremists. The Saudi government was very much in the news in a decidedly negative light when it hosted the World Cup despite its despicable human rights record. 

So, getting back to the original conversation, can you provide concrete examples of “the media” slamming Christians while letting others slide or are you just joining the current trend of wanting to play victim? 

WTF is going on in the WTF thread?

I dont come here to debate religion.

This thread needs some Satan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Prozac said:

Oh boy. I thought we were having a conversation about whether Christians were mistreated by the media. I’ll remind you of your own argument:

Since Liberty is rather notorious for making such statements, I chose them as an example. Mind you, I’m not judging their or your beliefs here, just making note of the example that you yourself presented. And no, it’s not just Muslim extremists. The Saudi government was very much in the news in a decidedly negative light when it hosted the World Cup despite its despicable human rights record. 

So, getting back to the original conversation, can you provide concrete examples of “the media” slamming Christians while letting others slide or are you just joining the current trend of wanting to play victim? 

Swing and a miss pal.  You intentionally brought up Liberty University and then used Muslim “extremists” as a comparison.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Swing and a miss pal.  You intentionally brought up Liberty University and then used Muslim “extremists” as a comparison.

So, no concrete examples then. Got it. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, nsplayr said:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/views-about-same-sex-marriage#views-about-same-sex-marriage

57% of Catholics, 57% of mainline Protestants, and 54% of orthodox Christians in the US say when asked that they support same sex marriage so…do with that what you will! I don’t think your assertion is true.

I will counter by claiming that 99.9% of Pastafarians are pro same sex marriage, and this cannot be so easily disproven. 0.1% allowances because every group has that one asshole. 🤷‍♂️

Ye do what ye wish with yer sexy parts mateys!

Words matter.  The original quote was 'Christians believe gay marriage is a sin' and the poll you quoted asks if gay marriage should be legal.  I would imagine that a large percentage of Christians believe both to be true.

I'll give you an easier example:  I believe it is a sin to not worship God.  I do not think it should be illegal in America to not worship God.  They are not mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smokin said:

Words matter.  The original quote was 'Christians believe gay marriage is a sin' and the poll you quoted asks if gay marriage should be legal.  I would imagine that a large percentage of Christians believe both to be true.

I'll give you an easier example:  I believe it is a sin to not worship God.  I do not think it should be illegal in America to not worship God.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Cool, I’ll buy that, there is a distinction there.

I am pretty confident a ton of Christians don’t think premarital sex or homosexual sex are actually sinful, but I can’t say for certain it’s a majority.

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

You think Liberty University is the same as Muslim extremists—got it.

Honestly.. kinda yeah. If you live in a western 1st world country and your views are 60-90% as regressive as Islamic extremists in the third world.. you might have a problem. Born in a slightly different time/place LU fundamentalists are exactly the type of people who would have conducted jihads/crusades over their religious dogma.

Christians throughout history have leveraged intolerance to justify violence, just like Islamic extremists do.  The Bible is every bit as brutal as the Quran.  Only recently after centuries of moderation due mainly to renaissance humanists, have Christians in the western 1st world figured out that bigoted violence isn't okay.  Just in time for them to get on their high horse about it. 

But the intolerance never went away, the violence was just moderated.. from mostly external sources.  Religious extremism is the same intolerant mentality whether you find it in Afghanistan or rural Virginia.  It just presents differently when it's filtered through local cultural norms.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Pooter said:

feces….

I’d suggest going back and rereading history with a more open mind to the truth. Overwhelming secular humanism in the modern West is why we’re where we are currently and their intent is to eliminate Christianity and welcome in the current gender confusion and all the other alphabet nonsense. Just because humans are fallen creatures prone to sin, doesn’t mean Christianity is wrong or has caused any of the examples you threw out. And without it, I shudder to think where the world would be.

I recognize terrible things have been and are still done in the name of Christianity,  but adherence to Christianity caused the Western world to grant rights to women and see them as equal partners with men, finally free the slaves (way later than it should have happened), recognize the inherent dignity of each person, value human life, value the nuclear family, value classical education (schools in NA were all founded by Christians), value individual liberty and freedom from oppression, etc etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Pooter said:

Honestly.. kinda yeah. 

I appreciate your honesty that Prozac wouldn’t provide.

I wonder, do you tell your Christian friends (if you have any of them?) that you believe they’re same as Muslim extremists?  If so, why not?  Also, why would ever have any type of relationship with someone you believe is the same as a Muslim extremist?

Additionally, why should Christians want to be friends with you if you think they’re the same as Muslim extremists? 

10 hours ago, Pooter said:

Honestly.. kinda yeah. If you live in a western 1st world country and your views are 60-90% as regressive as Islamic extremists in the third world.. you might have a problem. Born in a slightly different time/place LU fundamentalists are exactly the type of people who would have conducted jihads/crusades over their religious dogma.

Christians throughout history have leveraged intolerance to justify violence, just like Islamic extremists do.  The Bible is every bit as brutal as the Quran.  Only recently after centuries of moderation due mainly to renaissance humanists, have Christians in the western 1st world figured out that bigoted violence isn't okay.  Just in time for them to get on their high horse about it. 

But the intolerance never went away, the violence was just moderated.. from mostly external sources.  Religious extremism is the same intolerant mentality whether you find it in Afghanistan or rural Virginia.  It just presents differently when it's filtered through local cultural norms.

Have you ever actually read any of the history you're quoting?  Seriously, some of what you're stating is on par with claiming that germany won WWII. 

If you make a claim without supporting it, don't expect anyone to pay it any respect.

For example: Please defend your central theme of "The Bible is every bit as brutal as the Quran".

Do you mean it's a brutal story?  If so, then...yes...history is brutal.  Do you mean it's brutal in the directives it contains...such as stating all non-believers must be either converted or killed?  Because that dictate exists in only one of those two documents.  As a baseline to kill the "exclusive truth" argument: All religions are by their very nature exclusive.  Literally.

Please define "LU fundamentalists".  You started by comparing Liberty University to Muslim extremists, then shifted to "LU fundamentalists".  You introduced a new term and presumably a different people group.  Define it.

You addressed "Bigoted violence".  Are you addressing only violence conducted in the name of religion?  Should we assume you include the innumerable protests in the past few years that were clearly bigoted against the rule of law as demonstrated by several attacks and vandalism acts against state and federal government facilities, judges, and employees?  There are several people around here on a 'high horse' about such violence...while simultaneously ignoring the same exact kind of violence that doesn't fit their view point or narrative.

Please explain how you understand the word "bigot"

Standing by for factual statements and logic to back up your claims.

Edited by FourFans
  • Thanks 1

Gents, stop feeding the trolls. The individuals you’re trying to engage with have shown time and again they’re not interested in having a good faith argument. They find spouting some drivel about Christianity they picked up on reddit as their form of “owning the conservatives.” They’re just as intolerant as the caricatures of religious bigotry that they rail against. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One time George Carlin said this in one of his last interviews:

"There is a certain amount of righteous indignation I hold for this culture, because to get back to the real root of it, to get broader about it, my opinion that is my species--and my culture in America specifically--have let me down and betrayed me. I think this species had great, great promise, with this great upper brain that we have, and I think we squandered it on God and Mammon.

He may have been on to something.....

That dude monetizes religion.  I'll bet his conglomerate makes him and a ton of others rich.  George Carlin said,

“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disgruntledemployee said:

He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

Sounds like the federal government…except it doesn’t ask for money, it takes it at the barrel of a gun…and it wants far more than 10%.  

9 hours ago, FourFans said:

For example: Please defend your central theme of "The Bible is every bit as brutal as the Quran".

Exodus 32 verses 19-35. You know that little part about Moses and the people who chose the side of the lord slaughtering 3,000 of their friends and family.

Numbers 15, a man is found working on the sabbath. God orders him to be killed and he is stoned.

God orders Moses to "Harass the midianites, and smite them", and to again count "all that are able to go forth to war in Israel" (Numbers 25–26).The Israelites go to war, and "slew every male". They take captive the women and children, and take all cattle, flocks and goods as loot, and burn all cities and camps. When they return to Moses, he is angered, and commands "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" 

Just a few examples. I can go on quite literally all day quoting wildly messed up passages of the Bible justifying violence against non-believers, idolaters, people who just are different from the Israelites etc.. But I'm sure you guys have a bunch of public mental jiujitsu forthcoming about how the New Testament makes all this stuff magically okay now and it's all about forgiveness. 

9 hours ago, FourFans said:

lease define "LU fundamentalists".  You started by comparing Liberty University to Muslim extremists, then shifted to "LU fundamentalists".  You introduced a new term and presumably a different people group.  Define it.

I'll just refer you to the "liberty way" code they force all students to sign which dictates students conduct themselves according to fundamentalist/literalist Bible interpretations in their personal lives or risk expulsion/punishment.  Homosexual students literally have to keep their relationships secret.. much like homosexuals do in certain fundamentalist middle eastern cultures. 

11 hours ago, HeloDude said:

I wonder, do you tell your Christian friends (if you have any of them?) that you believe they’re same as Muslim extremists?  If so, why not?  Also, why would ever have any type of relationship with someone you believe is the same as a Muslim extremist?

Additionally, why should Christians want to be friends with you if you think they’re the same as Muslim extremists? 

I don't have any fundamentalist Christian friends and I doubt they'd want to be friends with me. After all I drink, take the lords name in vain, had a bunch of pre-marital sex, and generally strive to violate most of the liberty way.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't say anything. Primarily because gay, straight, trans, or bigoted religious zealot, as long as you aren't actively hurting anyone I don't really care what you think. Thinking extreme things and violently acting on those extreme thoughts are different.  

But my point here is the root of the intolerant thoughts is the same. The idea that your religion knows best and others living differently should be judged holds across almost all religions across the world. Whether you act on those crap ideas is mainly a product of your environment and how much your surrounding culture normalizes violence. 

10 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Gents, stop feeding the trolls. The individuals you’re trying to engage with have shown time and again they’re not interested in having a good faith argument. They find spouting some drivel about Christianity they picked up on reddit as their form of “owning the conservatives.” They’re just as intolerant as the caricatures of religious bigotry that they rail against. 

Not a troll and I'm happy to have good faith debate to the extent that I have limited time to live my life on the baseops forums. Anyone familiar with my comment history knows I bash on the radical left as much as the radical right. It's almost like I have a thing against radicals of all types! Weird..

I think we all need some devils advocate (pun intended)  from time to time to prevent this place from turning into a breitbart comments section, and I'm happy to provide it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pooter said:

But my point here is the root of the intolerant thoughts is the same. The idea that your religion knows best and others living differently should be judged holds across almost all religions across the world. Whether you act on those crap ideas is mainly a product of your environment and how much your surrounding culture normalizes violence. 

Sounds also quite a bit like the leftists these days.

39 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Sounds also quite a bit like the leftists these days.

Totally agree. It's funny, when people say leftism has become a religion I don't think they realize that's an indictment of leftism.. and religion

• Upvote 1