WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

It doesn't matter if you are. You want to attribute this to some kind of deliberate bias like the media is protecting the Dalai Lama. I'm telling you the lack of coverage is due to the lack of interest.

Oh it is 100% media bias.  If you think the media only reports (and to what level) on what the country finds “interesting”, then we’ll just have to disagree.

1 hour ago, AC&W said:

Submitted an in query to rentahitman.com

Call sign Reaper

"Put me in coach!"

...this could have passed for the Duffle Blog.

Actually went to that site. The kid may honestly have a decent defense for entrapment because the site is fronted as a legitimate business. Its satire but if you're 21 and stupid (which he is) you might not pick up on that. Id get a decent lawyer if I was him. 

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Actually went to that site. The kid may honestly have a decent defense for entrapment because the site is fronted as a legitimate business. Its satire but if you're 21 and stupid (which he is) you might not pick up on that. Id get a decent lawyer if I was him. 

I think once he met with FBI and agreed to wack a dude for $5grand he’s way past entrapment by the website.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bfargin said:

agreed to wack a dude for $5grand 

STS

I like how he listed expert marksman on his resume.  They called him Reaper because he shot a target at AF boot camp. Lol.    Dumbass 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

STS

I like how he listed expert marksman on his resume.  They called him Reaper because he shot a target at AF boot camp. Lol.    Dumbass 

Oh yeah this dude is a total dumbass. 

9 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Oh it is 100% media bias.  If you think the media only reports (and to what level) on what the country finds “interesting”, then we’ll just have to disagree.

Curious as to what “slant” media outlets may be playing at on this one? Do you see a difference in how liberal vs conservative outlets are handling this story? What about domestic vs international outlets? Why might an editor want to protect the Dalai Lama while calling out the Catholic church’s violations? What would an outlet gain by shuffling Buddhist wrongs to the back pages? Personally, I believe the Dalai Lama’s actions are absolutely as equally disgusting as anyone who has taken advantage of a child. But I’m with others here arguing that this is simply about ratings, not some international extension of American culture wars (Occam’s razor & such). Most Americans probably couldn’t correctly identify which religion the Dalai Lama is the head of, or in which country he resides. On the flip side, there are millions of Catholics here and many, many Americans have been either directly or indirectly affected by the Catholic Church’s indiscretions. Remember, news organizations are primarily in the business of selling advertising, not necessarily providing equal coverage for similar events. 

25 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Remember, news organizations are primarily in the business of selling advertising, not necessarily providing equal coverage for similar events. 

By your logic, there is zero media bias as they’re all just selling advertising.  Or…bias means that they only cover what their viewers want to see?

10 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

By your logic, there is zero media bias as they’re all just selling advertising.  Or…bias means that they only cover what their viewers want to see?

Certainly there is plenty of bias to go around. Just curious as to why you think bias (and/or what flavor or bias) is driving the reporting in this case? 

22 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Certainly there is plenty of bias to go around. Just curious as to why you think bias (and/or what flavor or bias) is driving the reporting in this case? 

Wait…so then what is media bias if it’s not reporting what your viewers want to see?

But to answer your question, the bias is that it’s more acceptable in the media to be easier on non-Christian religions/leaders when they screw up vs not.  Example—how often is it reported about how Christian denominations are against LGBT-whatever, abortions, gay marriage, etc compared to how often it’s reported how the Muslim faith sees those same issues.

10 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

But to answer your question, the bias is that it’s more acceptable in the media to be easier on non-Christian religions/leaders when they screw up vs not.  Example—how often is it reported about how Christian denominations are against LGBT-whatever, abortions, gay marriage, etc compared to how often it’s reported how the Muslim faith sees those same issues.

Examples? 

7 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Do you want examples because you disagree that this happens?  

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a concrete example of the scenario you’re talking about. Not saying it doesn’t happen…just that I haven’t seen it. But let’s just say it does for the moment. Why do you think that might be? Perhaps it’s because Christian religious groups wield tremendous power in our country and when they make a statement like “God hates gays”, it’s a much bigger deal than when, say Louis Ferrakhan (who has had plenty of negative press if I recall) says similar. 

3 minutes ago, Prozac said:

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a concrete example of the scenario you’re talking about. Not saying it doesn’t happen…just that I haven’t seen it. But let’s just say it does for the moment. Why do you think that might be? Perhaps it’s because Christian religious groups wield tremendous power in our country and when they make a statement like “God hates gays”, it’s a much bigger deal than when, say Louis Ferrakhan (who has had plenty of negative press if I recall) says similar. 

Check this out…

image.thumb.jpeg.6d5d9978ea70cefd6d175cba0cd0a18e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25a4f132cee00037a03f8f96167c6a6b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeloDude said:

Check this out…

image.thumb.jpeg.6d5d9978ea70cefd6d175cba0cd0a18e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25a4f132cee00037a03f8f96167c6a6b.jpeg

Got it. What controversial statements made by other religious groups in our country did the media not cover in the same time period? Assuming there were statements made by Muslims, Buddhists, Pastafarians, or other religious groups, did any of those groups have the political influence of Christian conservatives in the US? If not, guess what? It’s not as consequential a story and will receive less print/airtime. 

5 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Got it. What controversial statements made by other religious groups in our country did the media not cover in the same time period? Assuming there were statements made by Muslims, Buddhists, Pastafarians, or other religious groups, did any of those groups have the political influence of Christian conservatives in the US? If not, guess what? It’s not as consequential a story and will receive less print/airtime. 

Are you suggesting that Muslims in Middle East are worse towards LBTQ folks than Christians in the US?

You’re really reaching here, even for you.

12 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Are you suggesting that Muslims in Middle East are worse towards LBTQ folks than Christians in the US?

You’re really reaching here, even for you.

Muslims in the Middle East do not have the access to American politicians or influence that Christian groups in the US do. We expect to hear those views come from the taliban. It’s news when influential Americans tout them. 

33 minutes ago, Prozac said:

…Pastafarians…

We Pastafarians are a peace & piracy loving people who accept all of the FSM’s people. May his noodly appendage touch you all, Ramen. 

image.png.fae64501ace8d53322fcc4b051c42c7f.png

image.thumb.png.91cbbcda70addc0b7c89c8de002b3bb1.png

Edited by nsplayr
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Muslims in the Middle East do not have the access to American politicians or influence that Christian groups in the US do. We expect to hear those views come from the taliban. It’s news when influential Americans tout them. 

Wait…so you’re saying that the media being upset with a religious organization for its values is valid if that religious organization is large and has influence…but if there’s another major (but smaller) religious organization doing similar (or worse) things, that it’s ok for that same media to not call them out because they have less influence?

Dude, I know you’re a progressive and you’re not very pro-religion, but you’re either intentionally being obtuse about this, or we’ll just never see eye on it because our values and opinions are quite different.  Either way, it is what it is.

9 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Wait…so you’re saying that the media being upset with a religious organization for its values is valid if that religious organization is large and has influence…but if there’s another major (but smaller) religious organization doing similar (or worse) things, that it’s ok for that same media to not call them out because they have less influence?

Dude, I know you’re a progressive and you’re not very pro-religion, but you’re either intentionally being obtuse about this, or we’ll just never see eye on it because our values and opinions are quite different.  Either way, it is what it is.

Let me put it this way: If Liberty University comes out and says gay marriage is a sin, that has the potential to affect millions of Americans since that institution has the ear of most conservative politicians. People rightly want to know that institution’s positions because it will influence legislation that will affect their lives. Now, you say that Muslim extremists don’t receive the same negative press. Jury’s still out on that one for me but a not insignificant number of them have certainly received something much more violent than bad press over the last few decades. I don’t recall too many Americans or news outlets, liberal or conservative, crying over their loss. I would argue most Americans implicitly agree that Muslim extremists are bad since we’ve seemed to be ok with a large part of our budget being expended to vaporize them. 

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Let me put it this way: If Liberty University comes out and says gay marriage is a sin, that has the potential to affect millions of Americans since that institution has the ear of most conservative politicians. People rightly want to know that institution’s positions because it will influence legislation that will affect their lives. Now, you say that Muslim extremists don’t receive the same negative press. Jury’s still out on that one for me but a not insignificant number of them have certainly received something much more violent than bad press over the last few decades. I don’t recall too many Americans or news outlets, liberal or conservative, crying over their loss. I would argue most Americans implicitly agree that Muslim extremists are bad since we’ve seemed to be ok with a large part of our budget being expended to vaporize them. 

Funny how you mention Liberty University wrt saying gay marriage is a sin…and then using a comparison have to say Muslim “extremists”…not once, but twice.  Why couldn’t you have just said Muslims?  Or is Liberty University the same as Muslim “extremists” in your mind?  

• Like 1