WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

If you watch the longer video available online you'll see why the guy is 'allowed' to get out of his car. The video posted here makes it look like it just picks up the action after the officer initiated a traffic stop but that's not the case. The longer video shows the officer finishing up a previous contact in the parking lot and as he's leaving the gas station lot, the guy that was to become his victim of a botched attempt at manslaughter pulls into the gas station to buy his Funyuns. The officer saw something he didn't like and turned around to contact the victim. As the victim is getting out of his car to go about his business the officer pulls up. Part of the reason the victim made some bad moves (bad from a purely self-preservation standpoint on the assumption that he might be dealing with a maniac with a gun, not 'wrong' moves) is probably due to the fact that he was surprised to see the officer when he got out of the car and probably didn't have the time to calmly say to himself, 'okay, if he asks you to retrieve your license, don't comply because it could be misconstrued as reaching for a weapon, just verbalize that it's in the car and that you don't want to reach for it."

The victim literally did nothing wrong. Makes it that much harder to watch.

That is not what my department's training center teaches or LA POST. The decision of whether or not to leave the driver in the vehicle is officer discretion. There is no set standard as the decision depends on several variables.

I know some instructors that prefer to have the driver meet you at his vehicle, and then follow the occupant back to the vehicle to retrieve documents. It's part of a multi-step test of compliance. Did they understand instructions and exit the vehicle? How did they proceed toward the rear of the vehicle? Did they retrieve the insurance? And when the occupant goes to the vehicle, the officer can have him open the passenger side to retrieve the required documents, thus opening up plain view further.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Jesus Christ. Are there any more hoops you want me to jump through officer? How 'bout this. We all know that this policy is going to exist right up until the point that a driver wanders into traffic on the way back to your vehicle and gets hit (if it's caught on the dashcam and the public can see it, otherwise it'll just get swept under the rug), so why don't you do your job and come to me. I've fulfilled my legal requirement to stop, and I'm too ######ing scared that if I exit the vehicle you might misinterpret that as a threat and gun me down in cold blood, so my hands are vice-gripped to my steering wheel and I'm not moving a ######ing muscle on your accord.

Isn't it nice the level of trust law enforcement has managed to foster with the community they're supposed to serve.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The ANG guys out of Moffet are now "paramilitary" according to Vice

Link

For the past month, local law enforcement and the feds have been conducting raids across the Emerald Triangle — Humboldt, Mendocino, and Trinity counties in California — using a massive ex-military chopper bearing a worn-down or scraped off US Air Force insignia, eradicating tens of thousands of plants.

Worn down describes a lot more than the paint job

Edited by Breckey
  • Upvote 1

Opelika Police Chief John H. McEachern III has publicly refused to release the dash cam video of the shooting, something he claims is his legal prerogative.

IF this is actually true, it's completely fucked up! If he has been cleared of any wrong doing, there is absolutely no reason the dash cam should not be released. I get it, cops have a dangerous gig and I have the upmost respect for that. But last time I checked, they work for US, the general public...not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

The Hajj Airlift You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

In 1952, "U.S. airmen were suddenly alerted for special duty. Three days later, the first of 13 huge U.S. C-54s landed at Beirut’s airport. Next morning Operation Hajj was under way…

Five days later the last of 3,763 stranded pilgrims was loaded aboard the last flight. The airlift had traveled a total of 121,800 miles. Some of the U.S. airmen had spent 27 out of 40 hours in the air, but the trips had been more than worth it."

http://time.com/3457216/hajj-airlift/

2:21. Enjoy.

Saw this when it aired a couple weeks ago. Hilarious. John Oliver definitely deserved his own show. What ever happened to Dems like LBJ anyway? (Rhetorical question....not meant to start another political discussion in this thread).

You actually sound surprised--joke is on you!

True - there are instances of insanity in our past but of late they have gotten much worse. What does the phrase "against all enemies foreign and domestic" mean to this dithering group of feckless, over-analyzing, limp wristed lawyers?

You actually sound surprised--joke is on you!

Well, if their passport is still valid, they can certainly "re-enter" the country. That doesn't mean they are exempt from prosecution for illegal acts committed overseas or upon return if they are substantiated. If they can be associated with acts deemed in violation of U.S. law they may also have their passports revolked. Why complain about the FBI Director, he's only following U.S. public law. If you want to bitch to somebody, talk to Congress; they make the laws.

Edited by HiFlyer