WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

"But you know what? They just keep on coming."

So to speak. Edited by SuperWSO

To be fair and within context...Bush was holding the dog with both hands and clumsily attempted to salute....well-intentioned, but incorrect form.

Obama's left hand was free, and could have transferred the coffee to the other hand, but made a limp salute, coffee-in-hand. I think people's "outrage" stems from external perception...and it's fair to state that Obama appeared to salute in a manner that screams "ok, fine...here's your damn salute".

We also have to remember that other presidents have paid dearly for perceived outward impressions. Bush during Katrina, is one example. No one knows how he really felt about the victims in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf coast, but the way he came across on TV seemed full of ambivalence, and he paid for it in the public's opinion.

With the "latte salute", there's already a general perception among a lot of people that Obama doesn't really care for the military, and that salute only helps cement that image. Personally, as the CinC, he should at least learn to do the ceremonial stuff right. It's not like those Marine's ambush him at the foot of the stairs each time he steps on or off an aircraft...and his people should know there's always going to be a ton of cameras recording the event.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

"Perception that Obama doesn't like the military?!?" It's a well documented fact, and antics like this doesn't do him any favors in the eyes of those who wear or have worn the uniform.

Article 88 notwithstanding, I don't think he even cares. It doesn't seem to bother him that he isn't showing the proper customs and courtesies to the Marines...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This dumb shit is on here too?

He's a civilian. The salutes didn't start until Reagan did it. I don't care for the man, but this is some dumb shit to be getting worked up over.

How about this instead - Air Force Installation & Mission Support Center

http://www.afmc.af.mil/library/featuredtopicarchive/airforceinstallation&missionsupportcenter.asp

Now the wing king ain't.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he even cares. ...

Correct.

Since when has Mr Obama ever been ignorant about the perceptions he gives out? He has always been very astute and calculating when it comes to his public actions.

He simply doesn't care.

• Downvote 1

He's a civilian. The salutes didn't start until Reagan did it. I don't care for the man, but this is some dumb shit to be getting worked up over.

Easy fix- how bout we stop saluting this civilian then? Probably because he is also the commander-in chief. Hence the reason he should honor the respect intended by such salute and render one back in a professional and respectful manner. That's why some are upset. It's about respect. I suppose the fix is to remove the salute from Marine POTUS customs and courtesies.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To be fair and within context...Bush was holding the dog with both hands and clumsily attempted to salute....well-intentioned, but incorrect form.

Obama's left hand was free, and could have transferred the coffee to the other hand, but made a limp salute, coffee-in-hand.

You mean the free left hand that was buttoning his suit jacket, that free hand?

Funny how biases can make a person defend one action while simultaneously slamming a similar action.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Upvote 1

Here's my take on it: It's a not surprise he's going to get saluted when he walks off his aircraft, so either be ready and do it appropriately or just don't even do it at all. This goes for any President, regardless of whether they have a latte or a silly dog in their hand/arms. It comes down to mutual respect, and yes, even for the President.

• Upvote 2

You mean the free left hand that was buttoning his suit jacket, that free hand?

Funny how biases can make a person defend one action while simultaneously slamming a similar action.

Ah, so "buttoning a suit jacket" is now an indisposed hand. Next time I see the wing commander on base, my hands will promptly be zipping my flight suit instead of saluting.

All I'm saying is, for a guy who seems pretty big on managing his image (as most politicians are), he sure doesn't seem to care much about stuff like this. And as a guy who's commanding our entire military organization, it would be a very small investment to simply learn how to salute correctly during events like this. Lead by example.

Yes, I'm aware that presidents didn't always do this. But for the past 30 years or so, it's been a "norm" and I think a large chunk of our population likes seeing the "Commander in Chief" at the very least acknowledge and respect those he leads with simple gestures like returning a salute.

• Upvote 1

Ah, so "buttoning a suit jacket" is now an indisposed hand. Next time I see the wing commander on base, my hands will promptly be zipping my flight suit instead of saluting.

Or just carry your dog around with you everywhere you go, since that seems to be an accepted practice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Seems this woman in California got a real taste of what those in the federal government are supposed to do when faced with an active shooter situation: Hide and pray that the police get there before the potential attacker does.

veniceburglary_1411677362555_8423249_ver

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/weird/2014/09/25/woman-escapes-intruder-roof/16236141/

http://alerts.si.edu/docs/DHS_ActiveShooterBook.pdf

Did it do either? I would think this story would have a different slant if it had....

Case of a drunk asshole, or an asshole who happened to be drunk? 17D_guy, you seem to know some details...?

Yeah, I was in the vicinity when it went down, and the ensuing s-storm. Dude was a known issue...no clue why he was still running free at the time to be honest. If the old "if there is smoke..." analogy held true, he was 4-alarm for close to two years by my count with no one willing to be the "bad guy" and fix the glitch.

As far as bodily harm, indefinite coma at the time for the lady, and from his perspective...he had no clue if he killed her or not until "arraignment."

The detail most left out is that he WAS cleared hot to drink...but only because he behaved for a solid 30 days.

Since its intra-community, i'd be happy to share in private, Jug...otherwise the af.mil article is good enough for general conjecture.