WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140821/NEWS05/308210042/DOD-throws-cold-water-Ice-Bucket-Challenge-

The DoD has decided that dumping water on your head isn't professional... discuss...

So does that rule out dunk tanks at base events, too?

Edit: good catch 10%...which also begs the question on solo tanks at upt

Edited by SurelySerious

Some people just don't like the sound of freedom ruining their lavish ocean front lifestyle.

http://www.10news.com/news/man-says-helicopters-flew-close-to-his-ocean-beach-home-08192014

Also the Navy and Army totally dimed us out on this one.

California, nuff' said. Oh and I love how their aviation 'expert' starts giving altitude restrictions...for fixed wing aircraft.

This all being said, there's no reason not to fly friendly when you can.

Well he could have asked you for your restrictions but you would just "deny, deny, deny, deny!"

I'm pretty sure I didn't get the exact joke/flavor of sarcasm--my bad, it's Friday, and I'm tired.

My point was that if he is going to quote restrictions out of the FAR, then he should quote the one that applies to helicopters, not to fixed wing aircraft (which has nothing to do with the AF). But you're right, I wouldn't talk to either of them, that's what PA gets paid to do.

14 CFR §91.119 Minimum safe altitudes:

C. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
D. Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
1. A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

As an aside, flying low over the Destin/Ft Walton beaches (especially in the Spring) would normally result in at least a few flashes instead of angry rhetoric. People in FL are just nicer I guess.

• Upvote 1

AFI11-202V3

5.14.4 - Pilots flying helicopters in FAA airspace may operate at lower altitudes and in closer proximity if they do not create a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Both the FAA and the USAF say we can pretty much do what we want within the restrictions of MDSv3 as long as we're safe about it.