Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

10 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

I finally got the "tone it down" from my boss who got the standard passive aggressive words from someone else to pass along to me.

"Hey there Major.  I don't care about your morale patch, I mean I'm cool I have even drank a beer before, I'm  a bro.  But I know the Wing commander does that silly stiff, so may wanna just take it off for a bit. I know I know..." LTC Everyoneever

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, congressman said:

"Hey there Major.  I don't care about your morale patch, I mean I'm cool I have even drank a beer before, I'm  a bro.  But I know the Wing commander does that silly stiff, so may wanna just take it off for a bit. I know I know..." LTC Everyoneever

"Noted"

-Every salty terminal Major ever

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

Ugh, you're right.  I had to spend a few days there passing through and got chiefed for having my sunglasses on my head.  I was shocked at how much of a dump that place is.  They've been there at least as long as the Deid, if not longer and they are worse now in 2017 than the Deid was a decade ago.

Current chief hangs out between the dorm and gym and waits for people to walk by with PT clothing infractions. It’s fucking cold when I go to the gym, so I put my MASSIF on over my PT costume. You would have thought the world was coming to a end. 

I did some digging, there is the big AF 36-blah blah, the centcom 36-blah blah, the wing standards, the group standards (because I am not where the wing is) and about 30 uniform memo sups. They all contradict each other, and all of them contradict the AFSOC guidance with the OCPs which is what my home unit falls under  

if we put half the effort into war fighting and pilot retention that we put into AFI uniform writtting we might actually get out of AFGN in the next 16 years  

• 3 months later...

AMD is trying to have a compnay picnic at the barbecue area by the Bra, and apparently whoever will be manning the grill needs to receive food safety training from the EFSS before we're allowed to do it.  I'm rolling my eyes as hard as I can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

At least there is a reliable chance of food at a barbeque. I'm not so sure the same can be said at the chow halls, given the state of the last few meals.

(Background: They're switching over contractors for food services and don't have the people, processes, or supply chains unfooked yet. A major for EFSS was taking out the trash bags of disposable plates as SNCOs were manning scrambled eggs serving spoons this morning at the BPC for breakfast, trying to make up for the manpower shortage with 'leadership' and bodies from everywhere else on base. Strongly correlated rumor has something about the previous contractor's penchant for human trafficing as part of that bid change decision.)

The 'Deid - "You're complaining about housing again? Let's give you something to really complain about!"

Other items - the base leadership has directed that 'we'  will work to co-locate those who work together (i.e. comms guys with comm guys, cops with cops, etc) so that commanders can do commander shit better. That will translate to waves of people moving out of their current room and moving into another room in the same or nearby buildings. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2018 at 5:54 PM, spaceman said:

AMD is trying to have a compnay picnic at the barbecue area by the Bra, and apparently whoever will be manning the grill needs to receive food safety training from the EFSS before we're allowed to do it.  I'm rolling my eyes as hard as I can.

Are these the same jokers who regulate squadron bars home station? Oh I’m sorry..”heritage room”..”bar” may offend some people. 

19 hours ago, Stretch said:

The 'Deid - "You're complaining about housing again? Let's give you something to really complain about!"

EFSS is an absolute abortion out here.  The lodging office has flat out refused to communicate or cooperate with the bomb squadron. 

Edited by 08Dawg
words

2 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

EFSS is an absolute abortion out here.  The lodging office has flat out refused to communicate or cooperate with the bomb squadron. 

If it helps any, they won't communicate or cooperate with any squadron. 

12 hours ago, dream big said:

Are these the same jokers who regulate squadron bars home station? Oh I’m sorry..”heritage room”..”bar” may offend some people. 

Is this the DRAM thing? Several years ago Travis AFB declared that every flying squadron wasn’t allowed to pour beer in the bar unless everyone was trained to recognize when somebody was drunk.  Seemed to us at the time to be an obvious plot to get people to drink in their shitty combined club. The OG recognized the bullshit ploy, but was made to enforce it anyway. He held a special CC call and told us the bad news. Then, after watching a 5min video used for training Applebee’s waitresses, he declared the entire OG to be “DRAM OK”, pulled back the curtain to reveal a bunch of kegs and solo cups, and gave us the rest of the day off. A great piece of theater, and the only cool thing he ever did.

• Like 6

Majestik, that is a fundamental example of what's wrong with the Air Force - and why the enemy is "us."  No E-9, shoe clerk commander or other douche is able to have any power without a pilot giving power to them at some level, whether it be at the O-5, O-6, or CSAF level.  Have we ever had a CSAF who's not a pilot?  No.

Bottom line, it's high time for PILOTS to reclaim their monopoly on power and crush the non-mission-focused others.  "We" got ourselves into this mess by delegating authority to the worst sorts of people.

(disclaimer: other aircrew and SOF also included, y'all just haven't been CSAF yet!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2018 at 3:44 PM, Stretch said:

At least there is a reliable chance of food at a barbeque. I'm not so sure the same can be said at the chow halls, given the state of the last few meals.

(Background: They're switching over contractors for food services and don't have the people, processes, or supply chains unfooked yet. A major for EFSS was taking out the trash bags of disposable plates as SNCOs were manning scrambled eggs serving spoons this morning at the BPC for breakfast, trying to make up for the manpower shortage with 'leadership' and bodies from everywhere else on base. Strongly correlated rumor has something about the previous contractor's penchant for human trafficing as part of that bid change decision.)

True enough.  I think we'll just start sending someone off base for a shwarma run every day.

Also, BPC DFAC wins the award for least appropriate smiley face (x2)

20180317_054925.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlyinGrunt said:

Majestik, that is a fundamental example of what's wrong with the Air Force - and why the enemy is "us."  No E-9, shoe clerk commander or other douche is able to have any power without a pilot giving power to them at some level, whether it be at the O-5, O-6, or CSAF level.  Have we ever had a CSAF who's not a pilot?  No.

Bottom line, it's high time for PILOTS to reclaim their monopoly on power and crush the non-mission-focused others.  "We" got ourselves into this mess by delegating authority to the worst sorts of people.

(disclaimer: other aircrew and SOF also included, y'all just haven't been CSAF yet!)

Agreed. But we had a SOF CSAF who was a complete doofus with a bowl cut and blues Monday. 

• Upvote 3

What is the deal with the internet now. Its been over 5 years since I have been out there and getting ready for my farewell tour. The rumor I heard was that you now pay for your usage and it is expensive. I bet that kills the World of Warcraft crowd that was hogging all my bandwidth back in 2011, bastards.

14 minutes ago, Duck said:

What is the deal with the internet now. Its been over 5 years since I have been out there and getting ready for my farewell tour. The rumor I heard was that you now pay for your usage and it is expensive. I bet that kills the World of Warcraft crowd that was hogging all my bandwidth back in 2011, bastards.

There's a free service but you still have to make an account and sign in every time you want to use it, for some reason, and it's like dial-up speed.  So it's not very useful.  The paid service works fairly well, but you have to sign in all the time which is a pain in the ass, and they do limit how much data you get per month.  I think the prices range from like $30 to $180 a month and each tier has its own speed and data cap.  I have the middle level one that is 100 GBs a month and the speed is good enough for netflix, skype, youtube, etc at good quality.  It's $98 a month which is a fuckin rip off but whatever.

I think it's just the Deid.  Tell me about it; everything here is done in the worst/dumbest way possible so the internet situation doesn't even stand out to be honest.  I don't have the thing that shows the data caps for each plan here at work but these are the plans:

Capture.JPG

Does JohnQ know about this extortion? I don’t mean to complain, I know there are places where people would have paid anything to be able to skype home and there was no internet available. I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Duck said:

Does JohnQ know about this extortion? I don’t mean to complain, I know there are places where people would have paid anything to be able to skype home and there was no internet available. I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

It’s Al Udeid...”Always different, never better”

FWIW I got the $60/mo plan in Oct-Dec and it worked great for my laptop and phone.  It is a PITA to log in every time you switch buildings/routers but at least it works well once you’re logged in.

Edited by Bergman

Pro tip- get a router and split one login.  You can log on three devices at once and the router doesn't count against your total.  Four dudes/dudettes can share the most expensive plan for $45 out of pocket each.  Still a pain in the ass, but hey, fight the system however you can right?