Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

I was there in 2003. All was fine and dandy. 3x pint sized beers a day with decent selection, the wagon wheel before and after the storm that tore it up, but we didn't care, and we wore whatever was comfortable. The mission got on.

Then Roche shows up. I overhear him ask, "so you guys don't wear a uniform 24/7?" Queue in knee-jerk reaction which institutes the PT-like clothing restrictions that seemed to change weekly as someone saw something that they didn't like. We hear anecdotal stories of ladies with suitcases full of shoes, supposedly for the wagonwheel fashion show, as why we need to change. It will save weight on rotators they say, but never mind the xx lbs of useless chem gear/army gear we haul every rote. "Leadership" was way too awesome making this change <--- sarcasm!

My next 2 times there in 2004 was the civilian PT like clothing. I don't recall when official PT gear went into style, but I think we had to have it for my 2005 rote.

And now we don't have to wear it. People can get 3x beers a day, but selection has seen better days. There is a Bra. And I think the mission is still getting on. Weird.

Out

I was there in 2003. All was fine and dandy. 3x pint sized beers a day with decent selection, the wagon wheel before and after the storm that tore it up, but we didn't care, and we wore whatever was comfortable. The mission got on.

Then Roche shows up. I overhear him ask, "so you guys don't wear a uniform 24/7?" Queue in knee-jerk reaction which institutes the PT-like clothing restrictions that seemed to change weekly as someone saw something that they didn't like. We hear anecdotal stories of ladies with suitcases full of shoes, supposedly for the wagonwheel fashion show, as why we need to change. It will save weight on rotators they say, but never mind the xx lbs of useless chem gear/army gear we haul every rote. "Leadership" was way too awesome making this change <--- sarcasm!

Out

Sounds like what I remember from the back corner of Camp Andy (O and P row) in the fall of '03 Edited by Herk Driver
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody have current gouge on lodging for the tanker bubba's?  ACs have their own room while co's and booms bunk up?

There are empty rooms right now. Everyone has their own, and the vast majority have gone straight to their 'permanent' room upon arrival.

My first time at the Deid was July of 2005.  Things were still bearable around that time, but started heading south shortly there after.  The leadership buffoonery didn't really hit hard until 1 Oct 2006 when PT gear/reflective belts went mandatory and SNCO's were standing outside the DFAC chiefing your every move.  I even remember when they wanted you to salute in PT gear.  It got nasty real fast.  I witnessed one of our AC's (O-3) absolutely flip on a MSgt after said Sgt chief'd him because he wasn't wearing his reflective belt on the way to the shitter in the middle of the night.  Of course the MSgt reported him to the OG for being "unprofessional" and all hell broke loose.  It was shortly there after that I Palace Chased to the ANG and didn't set foot back at that place for 7 years.  My first time back there was 2013 and I was just there this past summer.  It's a lot more "big boy" and quite a bit more enjoyable than it used to be.  It's about as enjoyable as the Deid could be right now.  I did witness a few people get chief'd for wearing sunglasses on their heads in uniform in the DFAC so it does still happen on a smaller scale, but for the most part, the place is a lot better.  When dealing with that stuff, a simple, "Thank you Sgt, you're right." usually does the trick.  You have to understand that aircrew are a special breed and we're usually the first ones people (non-flyers) are going to notice stepping out of line and the first ones to get the finger pointed at.

Tanker guys are in their own rooms.  Still the old trailers of course, but I hear we're supposed to move to the new billets this winter.  These billets were supposed to be ready a while ago, but apparently the workers dumped concrete powder down the drains and it hardened in the pipes so they had to redo the plumbing.

Playing devil's advocate, the Deid was a little bit of a free-for-all in the 2003-2005 timeframe.  The population there grew tremendously.  Lots of Army and Marines.  There aren't a whole lot of people there anymore compared to when OIF/OEF was in full swing.  There was plenty of "inappropriateness" roaming around.  Females wearing lot of provocative clothing.  Guys wearing shirts with obscene language on them.  I even heard of prostitution rings going on there at one point.  Did I care about this shit?  Nope...  I got up everyday and did my job, but when the SAF/CSAF shows up for a tour and sees A1C SlutBag walking around with her tits halfway out of her shirt wearing shorts so short you can see what she ate for breakfast, at some point someone is going to do something about it.  You know the drill... one person shits their pants and everyone has to wear diapers.

The crew dogs turned away from the chow hall for pockets on their shorts are the leaders of today. While it may have been a painful/rediculous experience for some it may also have served a purpose. Everyone has a part to play, even if it is showing others what not to do. So I say thanks Deid leadership of last decade for showing us how not to lead.

• Upvote 2

Arrived for my sixth-to-ninth our so tour only to find the DFAC no longer has RipIts.  Bring back reflective belts if it means RipIts can return also!

Burn the witch!!!
  • Upvote 2

Arrived for my sixth-to-ninth our so tour only to find the DFAC no longer has RipIts.  Bring back reflective belts if it means RipIts can return also!

You gotta make friends with the C-17 bros.  The DFACs didn't have Rip-its, but I never lacked for them during my stay.

• Upvote 1

You gotta make friends with the C-17 bros.  The DFACs didn't have Rip-its, but I never lacked for them during my stay.

Correct me if I'm reading you wrong, but if that's the way you see the 17's that's messed up.  You currently deployed?  We may have reached bingo.

Edited by Snooter

I like to think of C-17 pilots as dudes in tuxedo t-shirts. They are here to be formal but they like to party. I like to party so I like my C-17s to party.

• Upvote 2

Correct me if I'm reading you wrong, but if that's the way you see the 17's that's messed up.  You currently deployed?  We may have reached bingo.

I wouldn't say that's the way I "see" C-17s.  I know those guys have other, much more important jobs than bringing in Rip-Its.  I'm just saying, they always seem to have more Rip-Its than they know what to do with, and if you are friendly with them, you can get some of the overflow.  It was pretty easy for us to make friends with them, since the B-1s and C-17s share a building.

I wouldn't say that's the way I "see" C-17s.  I know those guys have other, much more important jobs than bringing in Rip-Its.  I'm just saying, they always seem to have more Rip-Its than they know what to do with, and if you are friendly with them, you can get some of the overflow.  It was pretty easy for us to make friends with them, since the B-1s and C-17s share a building.

Fair enough.  Never had a problem with the B-1 guys (actually been a really good relationship), just recent issues not B-1 related, seem to point to a, "what can we get from the C-17 bubbas?" We try our best to help everyone out when something is needed, and share what he have as do others.  I understand at every level you become a support agency of some sort.  There is however a distinct line between hacking the mish, and hooking people up.  Thanks for the clarification.

• 1 year later...

Not sure where to post this, but this is a classic thread.  Feel free to move this post.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829?

BBC:

Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

The countries say Qatar is supporting terrorist groups including the Muslim Brotherhood.

The Saudi state news agency SPA said Riyadh had closed its borders, severing land, sea and air contact.

It cited officials as saying it was to "protect its national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism".

Egypt has also closed its airspace and ports for all Qatari transportation, the foreign ministry said.

The United Arab Emirates has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the country. Abu Dhabi accuses Doha of "supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organisations," state news agency WAM said.

Bahrain's state news agency said the country was cutting ties with Qatar over "shaking the security and stability of Bahrain and meddling in its affairs".

The Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting Yemen's Houthi rebels also expelled Qatar from its alliance because of Doha's "practices that strengthen terrorism" and its support to groups "including Al-Qaeda and Daesh [also known as the so-called Islamic State], as well as dealing with the rebel militias", according to SPA.

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Not sure where to post this, but this is a classic thread.  Feel free to move this post.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829?

BBC:

Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

The countries say Qatar is supporting terrorist groups including the Muslim Brotherhood.

The Saudi state news agency SPA said Riyadh had closed its borders, severing land, sea and air contact.

It cited officials as saying it was to "protect its national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism".

Egypt has also closed its airspace and ports for all Qatari transportation, the foreign ministry said.

The United Arab Emirates has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the country. Abu Dhabi accuses Doha of "supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organisations," state news agency WAM said.

Bahrain's state news agency said the country was cutting ties with Qatar over "shaking the security and stability of Bahrain and meddling in its affairs".

The Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting Yemen's Houthi rebels also expelled Qatar from its alliance because of Doha's "practices that strengthen terrorism" and its support to groups "including Al-Qaeda and Daesh [also known as the so-called Islamic State], as well as dealing with the rebel militias", according to SPA.

Ran over after I read this.  Seems life at the Deid may get a smite crappier if they don't figure this out... Anyone out there that can cast some light on it?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Snooter said:

Ran over after I read this.  Seems life at the Deid may get a smite crappier if they don't figure this out... Anyone out there that can cast some light on it?

What they told us was that Qatar considers itself a sort of neutral zone...they don't care who you are as long as 1), you don't cause trouble, and 2), you are not Iran.  The Taliban have offices there, for example.  But, if you cause trouble, you're gone, one way or another.

Bottom line:  I don't think this indicates any changes for life at the Deid.