Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guest Hueypilot812

Arresting people for not wearing a reflective belt? Really? I'd like to find out how that's legally justifiable. Sure, commanders have a pretty wide berth when it comes to things they can enforce, but they are still accountable for making sure they have some kind of reasoning. IE, that's why they can't give someone an Article 15 for busting their PT test the first time, etc. Arresting someone for not having a reflective belt? Wow. I would be embarrassed to say I was responsible for that kind of madness.

Guest ReflectivityRules

Call these impostors out. Here's my reply to the Vice Commander ordering people to do RAM checks. Someone send this to the AF Times or post it to the Facebook group. It is well past time we weed out horrible leaders. Read the article Toxic Leadership if you want to see how the Army feels about these types of "leaders."

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:02 PM

To: 379 AEW Commanders; 379 AEW Group Commanders; 379 AEW Group Deputy Commander; 379 AEW Group Leadership; 379 AEW Squadron Commanders; AUAB Chiefs

Cc: 379 AEW/CCC Command Chief Master Sergeant;

[removed the names of each and every base organization with the letters "/CC" after them]

Subject: Uniform/Safety enforcement

ALCON,

The EFSS has been working diligently to enforce regulatory requirements and standards throughout the base. Although this effort was extremely successful, it is time for the rest of the leadership on this base to take some of the heat. With that, I am ordering the 379 AEW GP/CCs, GP/CDs, SQ/CCs, SQ/DOs and Chiefs to begin a random effort towards enforcement of uniform and safety standards. As this program progresses we will request that all of our base leadership, including tenant organizations help us in this effort.

Since I do not know each of your schedules, I will not micromanage this to a time and day. What I would like (expect) to see is that you work amongst yourselves to start a random effort at each of the DFACs, gyms, the DEL and the BXs (for that matter, any base facility). What this should look like is a Force Protection RAM where on different nights, at different times and at different locations we have leadership in place to enforce safety (reflective belts) and uniform standards. From the entrances of these facilities, as folks come in, simply reinforce the standards by requiring compliance (uniform or safety) before they will be allowed to use that particular base facility (i.e. "go back and get your reflective belt or go back and get into proper uniform"). We will not be denying them anything! We are simply enforcing the rules and regulations of the base before they are allowed to continue use of the facilities (i.e. "they will have full access as long as they comply with the lawful rules of the base"). This is no different than in garrison rules such as "you must be in uniform to use base finance". Compliance with these requirements is a direct order from the Installation Commander, so do not hesitate to remind violators of that if you receive push-back. With that being said, "Be Polite (xxxxxx xxxxxxxx), Be Courteous, and Be Professional, however be unwavering.

We have a "new rotation" on base that may not be fully aware of our rules and with this effort we should be able to gently educate them. Thank you in advance for all your help on this and please contact me if you run into any issues.

V/R

xxxxxxxxxxxx, Col USAF

Vice Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing

If this doesn't reach the inbox of the 379 AEW/CV, then it is a failure. Baseops.neters, make it so! Any Iowa grads should be flat out embarrassed that the above email was written by one of your own.

On that note, I give you Real Men of Genius!

Today baseops.net presents Real Men of Genius.

Today we salute you, Mr. Colonel Overzealous Reflective Belt Enforcer.

Last night, you stopped two airmen from using the toilet because they weren’t wearing reflective belts. This morning, you had a VTC with a general at the Pentagon discussing how sharply reflective belt usage has risen since you were assigned to the base. Later today, you will email every Chief and commander on the base to tell them how important to the welfare of our airmen it is for 100% of them to wear reflective belts 100% of the time. Yes, you covered your ass, and because of you, the United States is that much closer to winning the Global War on Terror. All in a day’s work!

No matter how many of your Air Force subordinates and Marine Corps colonels and flag officers tell you how asinine reflective belts are, you just keep on ordering that they be worn. You are steadfast in your ways, laser-focused on your goals, and will not waver over what some inferiors think!

Your toolbox in enforcing reflective belt usage is full: writing an official memorandum for record, publishing a supplement to the AFI, or simply emailing a hundred subordinates. These are the leadership tools you learned in ROTC, honed over your 20+ years of service to country, and perfected in your year at Air War College, where you graduated with distinction.

No one will stand in your way of ensuring each and every person on your base wears a reflective belt, because by golly, your base will be the safest base in the Air Force! You know that others are either with you on the reflective belt issue or they are with the enemy, and will be treated as such! “Yeah baby, who’s your daddy!!” you think to yourself when you race your car across the ramp to tell a copilot to put on his belt. Write it up as another save on your trusty Blackberry.

Remains of fallen soldiers are being flown out of your base, aircrew are killing Al Queda daily, maintainers are working their asses off to keep jets ready, but NO, that mission nonsense won’t stand in the way of reflective belts. Because if we can’t force Airmen to wear reflective belts in the daytime and inside or near the perimeter of forward deployed locations, then dammit, how will we ever get them to die for their country! If we let a non-wearer off the hook at night, what’s next? Untucked PT shirts, failure to stop for 3 full seconds at stop signs? It’s a slippery slope that only those at the pinnacle of their military careers understand, and you know your promotion relies on making sure your subordinates understand, too!

Facebook groups hating on reflective belts? Hundreds of baseops.net pilots disgusted with you? Humiliation from your Marine Corps peers who actually know what it’s like to be on an op and kill an enemy? “That’s all you got?” you scream in your best Air Force warrior voice, as you hit the send button on another email ordering subordinate commanders to do random reflective belt RAMs right up the asses of those doing the work for which you’ll later receive a bronze star and PRF bullets. Oh, the rewards of high command! And you know you deserve every last accolade.

Crack open an ice cold bottle of Air Force Kool-Aid Mr. Colonel Overzealous Reflective Belt Enforcer. Because you really MISS the spot in MISSION.

Edited by ReflectivityRules

Call these impostors out. Here's my reply to the Vice Commander ordering people to do RAM checks. Someone send this to the AF Times or post it to the Facebook group.

Unfortunately the message is too long to post to the Facebook page - but here's a link that's not: http://www.lucky-devils.net/reflectivebelts.html Hope you don't mind.

Guest ReflectivityRules

Unfortunately the message is too long to post to the Facebook page - but here's a link that's not: http://www.lucky-devils.net/reflectivebelts.html Hope you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. I'm sure it makes sense in this electronic age to not leave too many electronic fingerprints around, and a third-party (like you) copying my content to a website or emailing to someone keeps it clean!

It's unfortunate it has to be this way, but self preservation is important, and we know how toxic leadership reacts to criticism. At the same time, it's our DUTY as subordinates to ensure that shitty commanders don't get promoted to higher command where they will cause even more damage (See the Doc Foglesong thread for an example). Anyone think this is out of line? Read this 5 page article about the Army War College's take on toxic leadership and you'll understand exactly the circumstances we are in:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/reed.pdf

They realize that our OPR system is broken in that only a superior's opinion matters, and the opinions of subordinates and peers don't matter one ounce. This is why we get self-serving, gutless leaders who can get away with walking all over people. We have too professional for too long, but the system is built to ignore our professional opinions. We cannot have more Foglesongs. If douchebag commanders progress beyond squadron commander level, we have failed ourselves and the greater Air Force.

They realize that our OPR system is broken in that only a superior's opinion matters, and the opinions of subordinates and peers don't matter one ounce. This is why we get self-serving, gutless leaders who can get away with walking all over people. We have too professional for too long, but the system is built to ignore our professional opinions. We cannot have more Foglesongs. If douchebag commanders progress beyond squadron commander level, we have failed ourselves and the greater Air Force.

This, this, this...

I'm so glad I found like minded individuals on this site. The sad part though is that those of us who stand our ground against stupidity will be run out of the military by our tool bag superiors fairly quickly. And we are greatly outnumbered by CGOs who have swallowed the kool-aid and think that AFIs are the end-all-be-all of any argument. I know way too many fellow CGOs who still haven't truly earned their commission yet.

Edited by Scooby

74666764_0bb5bc728b.jpg

SHACKED!

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Our commanders are also subordinates. They are obligated to follow orders. However, they should also voice their concerns through appropriate channels. If the Wing Commander wants to make a stupid rule, we have to follow it. Passive resistance, to a certain extent (to emphasize the problem is all right; people have to able to blow of steam or they will explode), is fine. But outright disobedience is not.

A squadron commander should take orders (even those he protested) and say, "Guys, we are doing XYZ now." He is a leader and those orders from the commander need to be appropriately followed and disseminated. It shouldn't matter if they came from the CAOC, NAF, Wing, Group, or Squadron level. As long as it is a valid order, it should be followed. Passing the buck by saying, "The Wing Commander says we have to do XYZ from now on," is poor leadership. The squadron commander should stand up and say, "We're gonna do XYZ from now on. If you have any concerns, bring it up through your chain of command," and deal with those concerns appropriately. It is BS to say to a subordinate, "Listen, I know you have a concern about it, but I'm not going to bring that up. It'll just get shot down." That is acquiescence, not leadership or followership.

The Squadron Commanders answer to the GROUP Commander, not the Wing King. They should voice their concerns to their Group Commanders, preferably en masse. The solution here is for the group commanders to get together and discuss it and come up with a unanimous concern to bring to their Group Commander WITH a solution. That way, the Gp/CC can tell the Wg/CC, "100% of my commanders have a problem with this and propose the following to alleviate that concern..."

The rest of your assessment is right on the mark or at least is the impression that leadership is giving.

The problem is SQ/CCs are not telling the OG, and the OG is not telling the Wing King. It goes back to the whole, "do your time, deal with the pain of things that don't make sense, and go home" attitude. Commanders talk about an open door policy all the time, but how often is it actually exercised? I agree outright defiance is not right, but adding bling to reflective belts and such is a way to stick it to the man (sts) without disobeying orders. Reflective belts really are the smallest of issues compared to other things that matter like flight ops, but I agree with you. I gues just thinking about the Deid made me super pissed! All great points BQ!

Call these impostors out. Here's my reply to the Vice Commander *snip*

did you actually have the grapes to send it to him? If you did, BRAVO! I gotta admit my bean bag isn't stuffed THAT full to do something like that, unless I cooked up an anonymous @yahoo email address and lobbed that grenade from behind SOLID cover.

Just because you can hide behind the internet and be insubordinate, doesn't mean you should. There's a fine line between "grumbling troops" and prejudicial to good order and discipline.

Something that just popped into my head, not that I think this is what's going on but found it funny non-the less. Sgt Maj from Generation Kill:

"Sir, if the morale is low, let me know and I'll stir em up real good with the grooming standards." (paraphrase)

I've never seen a Marine in a reflective belt...Not sure, but I think it may be part of their parent uniform reg.

You are correct.

The only time Marines are authorized to wear shit like that over a uniform is when riding a motorcycle (a reflective vest is req'd at all times for Marines on motorcycles), and it better come off your body before you get more than a few steps away from your scooter.

I couldn't help but notice in the videos that none of the Fox NFL Sunday team members had RBs on at night at the BRA. Apparently standardization doesn't apply to visiting celebrities who give the boss a signed football. That and/or the 'Deid leadership has demonstrated blatant disregard for the safety of civilians visitng their command. Does that qualify for "loss of confidence" in their ability to lead?

Edited by GearMonkey

I couldn't help but notice in the videos that none of the Fox NFL Sunday team members had RBs on at night at the BRA. Apparently standardization doesn't apply to visiting celebrities who give the boss a signed football. That and/or the 'Deid leadership has demonstrated blatant disregard for the safety of civlians visitng their command. Does that qualify for "loss of confidence" in their ability to lead?

I would think that such a blatant public display of a lack of proper RB wear despite Command oversight in the shot could be construed as "conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline," but what do I know...

Guest Sandlapper

So there were these five monkeys in a cage...

I couldn't have said it any better...thanks. Here's the story for those too-lazy-to-click:

The Way Things Are Done:

Start with 5 monkeys locked in a cage.

Hang a banana from the roof on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long the monkeys will go to the stairs and start to climb toward the banana.

As soon as the first monkey touches the stairs, hose the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with the same result. All the other are sprayed with cold water.

Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and goes to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!

Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water.

Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that’s the way it’s always been done around here. And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

I couldn't have said it any better...thanks. Here's the story for those too-lazy-to-click:

The Way Things Are Done:

Start with 5 monkeys locked in a cage.

Hang a banana from the roof on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long the monkeys will go to the stairs and start to climb toward the banana.

As soon as the first monkey touches the stairs, hose the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with the same result. All the other are sprayed with cold water.

Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and goes to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!

Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water.

Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that’s the way it’s always been done around here. And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

I'm not sure if there is actually an 11-2E-8v3... I think the entire operation of the MWS is based on "the way it's always been done"

*disclaimer: there really is a v3 and I've read it and heed every word!

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, THERE WILL BE AN OFFICER'S CALL AT THE DIED THIS THURSDAY - ALL OFFICERS ARE TO ATTEND.

Reliable information from an O-5 and O-6 indicate that the topics of discussion will be an increase in disciplinary actions (up 450%, allegedly), and a breakdown in discipline amongst the officer corps - particularly among captains, majors, and aircrews. These officers are failing to set the example for the E's with regards to good order and discipline after all of the rebellion and disrespect coming off the heels of the reflective belt and PT wear enforcement.

Just rumors, though. More to come.

The problem is SQ/CCs are not telling the OG, and the OG is not telling the Wing King. It goes back to the whole, "do your time, deal with the pain of things that don't make sense, and go home" attitude. Commanders talk about an open door policy all the time, but how often is it actually exercised? I agree outright defiance is not right, but adding bling to reflective belts and such is a way to stick it to the man (sts) without disobeying orders. Reflective belts really are the smallest of issues compared to other things that matter like flight ops, but I agree with you. I gues just thinking about the Deid made me super pissed! All great points BQ!

Oh, forgot to post this when it came out a few days after the Vice Wing/CC email. It is more detailed direction from the Operations Group flowing down to the different squadrons. Units and names XX'ed out again:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:15 AM

To: XXXXX'ed out all unit CC's, DO's, etc.

Subject: 379 EOG support to Uniform/Safety enforcement

All:

The 379 EOG has been TASKED to enforce uniform/safety regulations on base.

Therefore, I am attaching a support schedule to ensure the 379 EOG fulfills

this task. On the schedule you will find where each squadron is expected to

enforce standards and during what time period.

Here is the OG direction:

- Sq Top 3 leadership, Chiefs, and Shirts are tasked with supporting this

effort.

- Each sq is assigned a 6-hr time period in which you are required to cover

a total of 1 hour. You pick the vul that works for your schedule. For

example on 2 Nov 379 EOG is tasked during the 0600-1200 window at the Ops

Town DFAC...we can pick any hour in the window to show up to enforce

standards. We can also split the vul into 2 different half hour shift.

- Your call but you may want to send wingmen if they are available.

- Your enforcement includes the correct wear of the uniform (i.e. PT shirt

tucked in) and safety (i.e. reflective belts).

- FYI: Don't expect cops on duty to be wearing reflective belts.

- If you experience any pushback from ranking officers or experience call

outs on other examples of extreme "queepery" forward those examples to the

OG front office. As always, SQ/CCs can also speak directly to Col Xxxx if

required.

- If req'd you can swap vuls between squadrons, just let me know so I can

stay current on the plan.

- Review email trail for further direction.

First vuls start Mon so have your schedules built to support 4 Nov 09.

Currently programmed through the EOM Nov 09.

Standing by for any return shots.

Xxxxx

Seriously though.....why don't the cops wear them?

I'd really love to hear what comes out of this meeting on Thursday for anyone who is there....

"2". I know how much Aircrew hate to go to these meetings, but everyone would love to hear what the leadership is going to talk to at this call.

"If you experience any pushback from ranking officers or experience call

outs on other examples of extreme "queepery" forward those examples to the

OG front office."

So they are allowed to enforce rules but if you mention rule infractions of theirs back you will get in more trouble? Talk about a double standard.

Guest ReflectivityRules

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, THERE WILL BE AN OFFICER'S CALL AT THE DIED THIS THURSDAY - ALL OFFICERS ARE TO ATTEND.

Reliable information from an O-5 and O-6 indicate that the topics of discussion will be an increase in disciplinary actions (up 450%, allegedly), and a breakdown in discipline amongst the officer corps - particularly among captains, majors, and aircrews. These officers are failing to set the example for the E's with regards to good order and discipline after all of the rebellion and disrespect coming off the heels of the reflective belt and PT wear enforcement.

Just rumors, though. More to come.

2 ways this O'Call will go down. Most likely, the commander will mention what you just did, about disciplinary actions being way up on base, particularly regarding safety issues (reflective belt usage) and good order (PT shirts untucked uniform violations). The discipline breakdown among line aircrew officer corps will be the stated cause. The remedy will be to order and demand aircrew to stop instigating the issue on facebook, baseops, and with each other. Aircrew might be ordered to take part in reflective belt enforcement to show the rest of the force how important safety is. The shit sandwich meeting will conclude with the general stating how proud he is of the work being done on behalf of our nation at war, and the warrior ethos embodied by all personnel at the base. The commander will leave the meeting feeling satisfied that he quickly squelched a rebellion and maintained good order and discipline on his watch, earning him a second star.

The other way this will go down is highly unlikely, but would be the best possible command response. The general will say

"Gentlemen, this reflective belt issue has been a thorn in my side as long as I've been a commander. Obviously, the rest of the force knows how ridiculous it is for grown, highly educated, and highly trained men to be wearing reflective belts day, night, in reflective pt gear, to take an after sortie shit, to eat the junk served at the chow hall, to walk on sidewalks, to play flag football, or any other time.

"The reflective belt is a symptom of a much greater issue in the Air Force, the passive-aggressive, petty, misfocused leadership eroding our combat focus. I realize that there is a growing lack of confidence in commanders' ability to lead properly. I also know there is absolutely zero evidence that these belts have ever saved a single life or prevented a single mishap.

"I am a general officer and didn't work overtime all these years to enforce some ###### policy while our country is at war. Starting here, at Al Udeid, and wherever I command next, there will be absolutely no reflective belt usage. Pack them up, ship them home, burn them. I don't give a damn what you do with them, but you will keep them off my radar scope. I am committed to one thing: killing the enemy with extreme prejudice. We are the brain of the air war, and will provide airmen and our sister services with real combat support. If what you're doing is not directly killing the enemy or directly supporting those who do, then you need not be here. You need to go home, or find a different avenue for your energy besides enforcing the dumbest uniform regulations that have ever existed in military history. God knows China, Iran, Russia, and North Korea aren't wasting precious energy and resources on reflective gear.

"Man the chow hall to keep it open longer for maintenance crews getting off shift late. Volunteer in finance when they have off time for team building 'training.' This might help a crewdog that normally is in crewrest during finance's limited hours. Pick up a hammer and finish construction on the rooms we've been promising for so long. All of these are possible ways to help directly support the war effort. Enforcing reflective belt usage is not!

"Now I know this new no-reflective-belt policy will make headlines. I'm prepared to deal with the consequences. It's my job as a commander and flag officer to keep focus on the big stuff and to keep the bullshit out of your hair so that you can keep killing the bad guys. YOU are the ones doing the work. My job is to make your life easier, and to ensure you are best supported in waging war.

"I'll now open it up to questions. What other nonsense has been happening on my base? SNCOs grabbing lunchtrays from a LT? Okay, THAT SHIT STOPS HERE AND NOW. What else can I do to better support your ability to do the mission?"

The general will say

"Gentlemen, this reflective belt issue has been a thorn in my side as long as I've been a commander. Obviously, the rest of the force knows how ridiculous it is for grown, highly educated, and highly trained men to be wearing reflective belts day, night, in reflective pt gear, to take an after sortie shit, to eat the junk served at the chow hall, to walk on sidewalks, to play flag football, or any other time.

"The reflective belt is a symptom of a much greater issue in the Air Force, the passive-aggressive, petty, misfocused leadership eroding our combat focus. I realize that there is a growing lack of confidence in commanders' ability to lead properly. I also know there is absolutely zero evidence that these belts have ever saved a single life or prevented a single mishap.

"I am a general officer and didn't work overtime all these years to enforce some ###### policy while our country is at war. Starting here, at Al Udeid, and wherever I command next, there will be absolutely no reflective belt usage. Pack them up, ship them home, burn them. I don't give a damn what you do with them, but you will keep them off my radar scope. I am committed to one thing: killing the enemy with extreme prejudice. We are the brain of the air war, and will provide airmen and our sister services with real combat support. If what you're doing is not directly killing the enemy or directly supporting those who do, then you need not be here. You need to go home, or find a different avenue for your energy besides enforcing the dumbest uniform regulations that have ever existed in military history. God knows China, Iran, Russia, and North Korea aren't wasting precious energy and resources on reflective gear.

"Man the chow hall to keep it open longer for maintenance crews getting off shift late. Volunteer in finance when they have off time for team building 'training.' This might help a crewdog that normally is in crewrest during finance's limited hours. Pick up a hammer and finish construction on the rooms we've been promising for so long. All of these are possible ways to help directly support the war effort. Enforcing reflective belt usage is not!

"Now I know this new no-reflective-belt policy will make headlines. I'm prepared to deal with the consequences. It's my job as a commander and flag officer to keep focus on the big stuff and to keep the bullshit out of your hair so that you can keep killing the bad guys. YOU are the ones doing the work. My job is to make your life easier, and to ensure you are best supported in waging war.

"I'll now open it up to questions. What other nonsense has been happening on my base? SNCOs grabbing lunchtrays from a LT? Okay, THAT SHIT STOPS HERE AND NOW. What else can I do to better support your ability to do the mission?"

I'd volunteer for a year at the Deid if he said this.