Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Uhhgggg, so I just get an email that tells me I have to shave my glorious deployment stache becasue it may reflect "negatively" on the squadron in our...wait for it...PA photo's/article of my crew "in action". Of all the sh!t they want, now they want my mustache!? YGBSM! I admit it may not be within the regs but come on. Next they'll want me to get a haircut...oh wait.

Cooter

Cooter, you're such a sell out. I saw your clean shaven upper lip on a commercial here.

You should be ashamed by your kool-aid drinkin, air force blue brainwashing ;)

The Blatchford-Preston Complex

OK, good to see it's open. Good to see people moving in. Good to see they actually named it after 379th wing heroes of the past as opposed to "Millenium Cyber Warrior Village" or something stupid like that.

My only gripe...

080205-F-2828D-103.jpg

Who brought a pink balloon (or any balloons for that matter) to the AOR? I mean, really? It's kind of far from combat, but leave the balloons at home. If you have balloons, I think your hostile fire pay should be revoked.

Now, can people have sex here like any other base with dorms?

Do dorms=more buildings=more beer like any other overseas base?

Slot machines?

The possibilities are endless!

The Blatchford-Preston Complex

OK, good to see it's open. Good to see people moving in. Good to see they actually named it after 379th wing heroes of the past as opposed to "Millenium Cyber Warrior Village" or something stupid like that.

Who brought a pink balloon (or any balloons for that matter) to the AOR? I mean, really? It's kind of far from combat, but leave the balloons at home. If you have balloons, I think your hostile fire pay should be revoked.

Now, can people have sex here like any other base with dorms?

Do dorms=more buildings=more beer like any other overseas base?

Slot machines?

The possibilities are endless!

The article failed to mention that there are only 1 maybe 2 dorm buildings that are actually open. The chow hall on that side still isn't done, neither is the food court, can't wait for Charlies and Starbuck's. The gym is very nice. Oh ya, so far they've only talked about moving 10% of the people over there. However, they have moved many of the services to the Big Prison Compund (BPC) or Broken Pipe Complex. But of course, it could be worse.

Guest Hueypilot812

Why not name it after Das and Watkins? Some of the only 379th guys that actually died in combat during OIF.

Cooter, you're such a sell out. I saw your clean shaven upper lip on a commercial here.

You should be ashamed by your kool-aid drinkin, air force blue brainwashing ;)

We kicked we screamed but the mustaches had to go. Was not told we had to do a fncking tv interview. We were told to answer some damn questions but noooooo. now I'm on the CAC channel or some BS. There I am having my JD on the rocks (no more Jim Beam sorry bourbon lovers out here) and i see my ugly mug on the tv. One guy pulled the "I'm in for a green door job, I don't want to have my face out there" but I didn't think my supposed AFSOC job for this summer would fly (to the DO who was a former gunship guy). Thanks to everyone and their wonderful emails about the af.mil story...Chuck, Scooter you two homo's especially!

:beer: 's on me for the shenanigan's if you ever see me out and about.

Cooter

She's either really short or Sec Wynne is really tall.

Sec Wynne is really tall. I'm 6'1 and he was quite a bit taller than me. I met him last Fall. I'd say he's at least 6'5.

Anyhow, who's at the Deid right now? Anyone out there pulling CAOC duty? I'm semi-seriously considering volunteering for a 365 to work a planning cell or something along those lines.

Edited by Cam

Anyhow, who's at the Deid right now? Anyone out there pulling CAOC duty? I'm semi-seriously considering volunteering for a 365 to work a planning cell or something along those lines.

Are you fucking high? I like going out there for a month or two at a time, keeps things interesting, but 365 days back and forth on those friggin white busses? You know you won't get your own car...the SrA LAN administrator needs that to get back and forth to the Baskin Robbins.

Are you ######ing high? I like going out there for a month or two at a time, keeps things interesting, but 365 days back and forth on those friggin white busses? You know you won't get your own car...the SrA LAN administrator needs that to get back and forth to the Baskin Robbins.

"2"

WTF? Do you want the CAOC experience or are you that bored. Trust me you get a lot of stuff done for the mission but you may want to check it out first. 3 months was more than enough 20+ hour days, falling asleep on the bus for 1+30 and riding around the base and sleeping behind my desk on a mat to make me realize flyin' is where I love to be. To each his own just make sure you know what you're stepping into.

Cooter

This week folks are beginning to move into the hard billets, Millenium Village. I expect it to be a rather slow-and-painful transition, but with luck I'll get to stay in a trailer and my replacement will move in there, and I won't have to pack all my stuff and move into a tent for the last week of my deployment.

The new billets do look great; I look forward to living in them on my next vacation out here.

Much larger BX, but I doubt that will amount to better selection. When I got here they had the aisle full of discount merchandise. Twelve pairs of size 16 running shoes. A pallet of feminie hygene products. A case a 256M Sony Memory sticks. There is currently an aisle with a full shelf of swim goggles and nose plugs. The pool has been closed for (I don't know how long--before I got here). They have video games; I was thinking of getting a Nintendo DX. Only the whole shelf of games consists of My Pretty Pony, Dora the Explorer and other games targeted to 10 year old girls. No kidding. And then they ran out of DXs. Did you know there is a game where you take care of a baby? You have to feed it and play with it and stuff. A video game. I have a better idea. Give me your $30 and you can take care of my four kids one night. My wife back in Omaha needs a break while I'm here.

They have five copies left of the DVD release of the first season of "MacMillan and Wife" from the 80's. I could list many more titles...

We all still do the daily shelf-checks, but it's a little depressing. Hoping to get a Valentine's Day card in the near future... Preemptively send a "missing you" card in lieu of...

As for "Queep", I don't recall thinking about the PT gear issues in weeks. We all got pissed off at the many times we were told to be grown-ups and wear our uniform accoring to the standards (of the`Deid) But the funny thing is, if you just shut up and color, it becomes a non-issue.

Actually having the time of my life with my crew, so I don't have too many complaints. All the beef jerky you can eat. And we live on "Rip-It", a Red Bull look-alike.

I've been trolling this board for years, thought it was time for my $.02.

v/r Flip

This post reminds me of one of my times at PSAB (pre-hard billets). We were wandering through the BS (small BX) and found ten copies of Celebrity Sleuth on the shelf. I pointed it out to my comrade, and he proceeded to grab three immediately. We got back to our tent and quickly spread the word. Those mags were gone inside of 30 minutes.

Proof positive that incompetent AAFES employees can sometimes be inadvertent friends.

The same trip our 50-year old AWACS back-end boss did a twice-daily trip to check on the supply of condoms. It was consistently three or four boxes short by the end of the day. "Boys, they're some ######in' goin' on out here."

We heard a rumor that the cops used the camera on the huge mast in the middle of base to spot people screwing instead of watching the perimeter.

Are you ######ing high? I like going out there for a month or two at a time, keeps things interesting, but 365 days back and forth on those friggin white busses? You know you won't get your own car...the SrA LAN administrator needs that to get back and forth to the Baskin Robbins.

Well, I signed up for the bonus last week, and I pin on Major in about 2 months. I figure I can volunteer for something now and have control over where and when I go, or I can sit around and wait for them to tag me with an ILO 365 to Baghdad like any one of the numerous dudes I know who are over there now. That way, it is far less likely they'll f*** with me in the future when the timing and deployed location is less desirable. Right now, my wife isn't working and my in-laws are in town and able to help with the kids. If they're gonna get me sooner or later (extremely likely for an 11B like myself), then now is the time to get it over with.

Edited by Cam

"2"

WTF? Do you want the CAOC experience or are you that bored. Trust me you get a lot of stuff done for the mission but you may want to check it out first. 3 months was more than enough 20+ hour days, falling asleep on the bus for 1+30 and riding around the base and sleeping behind my desk on a mat to make me realize flyin' is where I love to be. To each his own just make sure you know what you're stepping into.

Cooter

Yeah, I'm planning on getting in touch with someone who's working the CAOC now so I can get the scoop on what life is like for those guys. I want the CAOC experience because it sounds interesting and I'd like to do something where my ops background applies (as opposed to some BS ILO Army job in Iraq), but wherever I end up volunteering to go, I want to make sure I at least have enough "free" time to finish up this #$%&*! ACSC master's degree. If working a planning cell means 20+ hour shifts, that might not be the best deal for me, even if it is good experience...

Edited by Cam

Guest oldelpaso

I'm an Army E-6 with PCS orders to the CAOC later this fall. I know loads of Army guys that have been on R&R to Qatar, but no one that's been there as permanent party. I take it there's not a lot of Army personnel at Al Udeid and I thought the CAOC was just Air Force. Is there an Army unit within the caoc or is the caoc a "joint" unit? Any info on what I've gotten myself into is truly appreciated.

Given that you just signed up for the bonus, you are right that you are probably going to get tagged sooner or later, especially as an 11B. Consider weighing the AOC in Korea vs the AOC in the desert. Both will hack the same clock as far as assignments in the future. If you care about career, the desert will probably look better. If you dont, the family life in Korea is actually pretty good. Money wise, the COLA in Korea offsets a good bit of the tax free you'd get in the desert, so don't base your choice on that. If you look at the assignment priority in afi 36-2210, you'll see that if you volunteer for a specific remote, they pretty much are required to give it to you over non-vols. This also helps since they also will have a really hard time sending you 365 if you vol for Korea. On top of that, as long as you don't take the sucker bet of going accompanied or KAIP, you will get great assignment preference, and can even get your follow-on put on your orders before you leave. I did that - they tried to fight it like crazy, but its written in the regs, so I got a sweet follow-on printed on my orders to Korea. (yes it still works as an Officer if you're wondering).

I was in Korea last year, and have worked in the CAOC in Qatar. I'd chose Korea again any day. However, if your only choice is the CAOC, keep in mind that you'll be working in a well air conditioned building the whole year, unlike a lot of the guys out there. That was a big plus for me. I actually liked my job, and it was one of the times in my career I'v felt that what I was doing was actually hepling something important happen. Depending on the job, its pretty much 8-12 hour days, 6 days a week. However, if you are going to be in the AF a while, you'll eventually spend time in the AOC as a combat asset. The good thing is that the CAOC doesn't really have addl duties, while the Korean AOC does since it is a family base and a PCS. Also, the best advice I can give about AOC work is to try to get into Strategy or Plans, and avoid Ops. The AOC is broken down in structure by the chronology of running ops. Strategy and plans are much less dynamic since they are concerned with looking out over a certain period. Ops is the execution cell. Its your job to clean up any messes that plans made, and to quickly attend to whatever situation arises. You rarely get a rest, and there's always a fire to put out. If something is going on at shift change, tough. The plans guys were always more relaxed. Once the plan is done and submitted, you're pretty much done until shift change. Since things are more stable now, the plans don't change, and the cut and paste lifestyle is more prevalent than it was when things were hotter.

Another point is that, I'm not sure how adventurous your family is, but if your wife doesn't work there's no reason they can't rent a place in Doha for the year so that you could see her quite a bit. The AF is required to pay BAH or OHA wherever in the world she wants to when you are gone more than 20 weeks (ref JFTR chap 10) as long as you do it the right way. I know that may sound strange to some people, but its possible. I know that's our plan if I have to take a 365 in Qatar, but my wife is foreign, and gets excited when the idea comes up about living in odd places like that. The city itself seems relatively safe, but you'd have to ask the embassy reps about the specifics.

When in Korea, there were a ton of 18 year Majors non-vol'd. Since most had school age children, and the AF was telling them they didn't have retainability to go back to the cockpit at year 19, a lot of them were grudgingly signing up for 2 years. Its like getting triple-screwed since you don't even get to retire with currency in a plane. That's why I'm glad I did mine, and its out of the way. I may have to do more, but at least I've got 1 more than most guys my age - and it was actually a good time.

camolet- thank you very much for the words! I am actually seriously considering going to the AOC in Osan as well. I've got a buddy who goes by the callsign "Meat" who's there right now, and I've been e-mailing back and forth with him for the past week.

The wife has ruled out the possibility that she'll accompany me to either location, so right now the factors I'm weighing are better pay and possibly better career benefits at Al Udeid on one hand, and better quality of life in Korea on the other.

Thanks again! :beer:

Edited by Cam

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the Deid. I have been here a few days and, knock on wood, I have been hassle-free so far. I am yet to wear a reflective belt anywhere because we were told it was only required in Ops Town, and only while in uniform (not PT gear) during night/reduced vis. Here is the latest sup to the reflective belt regs regarding PT gear and Coalition Compound:

3.1.2.3.1. (Added) Reflective Belts. The reflective belt is not required within the Coalition and CAOC compounds or while wearing PT gear. On duty, armed ESFS personnel will not wear reflective belts

3.1.2.3.1. (Added) Reflective Belts. The reflective belt is not required within the Coalition and CAOC compounds or while wearing PT gear. On duty, armed ESFS personnel will not wear reflective belts

Either because they:

( A ) Are expendable

( B ) Have vehicular evasion training

( C ) Will give away their position to the enemy

( D ) All of the above

Either because they:

( A ) Are expendable

( B ) Have vehicular evasion training

( C ) Will give away their position to the enemy

( D ) All of the above

But FOD checks they don't have to worry about. I love pulling up to the ECP and seeing 6-9 million rocks in their tires when I go to fly a mission. Oh and when they drive between the marshaller and the jet...that's awesome.

BTW the Muff has gone way down hill. They have nights now when E's can go to the Muff for a certain time. Don't get me wrong I love the E's (no STS) becasue I fly wiht a ton of them, they're good friends of mine. But nowadays the Muff is not what it used to be. One thing I noticed is the NCO's in space command that show up in there bags with their wings on that have never been close to an aircraft. It's like slapping my boys in the face. Get a real job for Christ's sake.

For the first time ever I got a drink and it tasted like coke, i went back to ask if they put any whiscky in there and i was told "yes of course you got a normal pour". BULLSHIT! look I and a bunch of other bros live out there and don't try to tell me where the bears shit in the buckwheat. I know how things are and how they have been, don't blow smoke up my ass. I know a lot of bros go without and i understand but introducing BS because you can isn't right.

hey was anyone at the Muff for Halloween '05? just curious, we have some guys leaving the squadron soon and we were all reminising (fnck me I don't know the spellling) about that great party. Especially the bus ride and the "America Fnck Yeah" singing (Chuck17 you're still gay for leaving the day before) and the shenanigans that insued.

Here's to all of us... :beer: ! (Lots of old school bros leaving in my squadron so I'm all sentimental lately)

Cooter

Anyone know what happened to the JSTARS with the hard landing? The JSTARS guys are all hush hush about it and I was flying when they had the safety brief on it.

Anyone know what happened to the JSTARS with the hard landing? The JSTARS guys are all hush hush about it and I was flying when they had the safety brief on it.

I can tell you it had a "HARD" landing and it's still sitting there minus two of its engines. other than that not sure. There was another incident where they had a flap (it was a control surface for sure) fly off on short final and the pilots saved the aircraft. I tlaked to some of the guys and the story is pretty impressive. Not a situation I would want to be in and they put her on the deck safe and sound.

Cooter

Yeah, I did hear about scrapping the pods. And since they aren't rocking CFM-56's that's sorta nuts to do. I also saw them replacing some of the landing gear on it.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm going back to the Deid (8th times a charm right?) here in a few days, anybody gonna be there? If so ring out and lets have three brews together. On a side note apparently the Muff has been taken over by the USAF and is being renamed "Camelot"...WTF. Can't say that bodes well for it service but I'll have a report on that soon. Here's to "Combat" :rainbow: ness in the Deid. Any Tac airlift guys out there or doing missions in the area let me know, we're doing much more DZ support now. Later.

Cooter...here's to Warheads on Foreheads (for those that don't know it's a huge buzzword out in the Deid) :beer:.

On a side note apparently the Muff has been taken over by the USAF and is being renamed "Camelot"...WTF. Can't say that bodes well for it service but I'll have a report on that soon.

Camelot...That was the name of the PSAB tent city chow hall...although it was Camel Lot, get it?

The USAF took over the MUFF. Great. Time for 0-0-1-3 and a beer card scanner. My MUFF card better still be good.