Cool aviation pictures

Bergman

Cool picture. Pretty cool comment. What's the problem?

I originally posted the picture and comment in a new thread because I didn't care enough to use the search function.

The irony is it's sort of a microcosm of the AF: I try to lighten the tanker mood from the 15 pages of bitching about tail number calls and ego-checks w/regard to UPT rankings, and I get shwacked for not following the established procedure because I stepped into someone's pet issue.

At least I had my shirt tucked in and the correct length socks when I did it.

The irony is it's sort of a microcosm of the AF: I try to lighten the tanker mood from the 15 pages of bitching about tail number calls and ego-checks w/regard to UPT rankings, and I get shwacked for not following the established procedure because I stepped into someone's pet issue.

Welcome to the forum, and nice pictures; however, you didn't get "shwacked" and this isn't someone’s pet issue. You failed to read the giant thread title that says "READ THIS FIRST." No big deal and I think you'll appreciate how they compile and organize threads here in a year or so when you are searching for a specific picture; you won't have to sift through pages of irrelevant data. Again, welcome to the forum.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the forum, and nice pictures; however, you didn't get "shwacked" and this isn't someone’s pet issue. You failed to read the giant thread title that says "READ THIS FIRST." No big deal and I think you'll appreciate how they compile and organize threads here in a year or so when you are searching for a specific picture; you won't have to sift through pages of irrelevant data. Again, welcome to the forum.

Fair enough. Thank you!

TAC

It's just fuel spraying out of the viper's receptacle. Completely normal for KC-135s:

135 boom surge boots and teflon seals aren't the best (1950s tech), so if you disconnect with the pumps still going there's usually a bit of residual that sprays everywhere unless the tanker turns the AR pumps off some time before disconnect. There's an awesome A-10 picture somewhere on the interwebs that shows a JP-8 deluge in contact, but my google-fu is weak today. Maybe someone else can find it.

It also looks like the receptacle is probably leaking a bit. The spraying will definitely stop when the viper pilot closes the receptacle.

Stunna,

I forgot it in my pubs bag, I swear. I'll put it on in just a minute :-)

Edited by B.M.

Guest Crew Report

What is that coming out of the -16? I'm ignorant of AR.

Fuel, that particular Viper was notorious for fuel spray.

TAC

It's just fuel spraying out of the viper's receptacle. Completely normal for KC-135s:

135 boom surge boots and teflon seals aren't the best (1950s tech), so if you disconnect with the pumps still going there's usually a bit of residual that sprays everywhere unless the tanker turns the AR pumps off some time before disconnect. There's an awesome A-10 picture somewhere on the interwebs that shows a JP-8 deluge in contact, but my google-fu is weak today. Maybe someone else can find it.

It also looks like the receptacle is probably leaking a bit. The spraying will definitely stop when the viper pilot closes the receptacle.

Stunna,

I forgot it in my pubs bag, I swear. I'll put it on in just a minute :-)

Once you advance the signal system to disconnect you de-entergize the pumps. So they still "wouldn't be going."

Once you advance the signal system to disconnect you de-entergize the pumps. So they still "wouldn't be going."

I understand how the system works.

Read my post again. I was talking about you guys normally shutting off the AR pumps a few seconds before you punch him off to prevent fuel spray upon disconnect.

I can speak more slowly or quote T.O.s if you'd like

There's an awesome A-10 picture somewhere on the interwebs that shows a JP-8 deluge in contact...

Happens mostly at disconnect. A real treat, especially at night with a blacked out tanker.

Guest Crew Report

I understand how the system works.

Read my post again. I was talking about you guys normally shutting off the AR pumps a few seconds before you punch him off to prevent fuel spray upon disconnect.

I can speak more slowly or quote T.O.s if you'd like

I'm glad you "know how the system works." But what usually happens is the receiver disconnects themselves before we have a chance to shut the AR pumps off or close the line valve.

Happens mostly at disconnect. A real treat, especially at night with a blacked out tanker.

What are you talking about? Most the time you guys disconnect yourselves before we get a chance to close the line valve and shut off the AR pumps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Okawner

I'm glad you "know how the system works." But what usually happens is the receiver disconnects themselves before we have a chance to shut the AR pumps off or close the line valve.

What are you talking about? Most the time you guys disconnect yourselves before we get a chance to close the line valve and shut off the AR pumps.

Uh, isn't this the 'Cool aviation pictures" thread? (As opposed to the "tanker guy correcting everyone" thread, which I think is somewhere around here...)

• Upvote 1

I'm just sayin'...it sucks when that happens, especially at night with a blacked out tanker. My comment had nothing to do with the boom competency. Unfuckingbelievable. Lose the chip already.

Sounds like a lot of "fun". It happens in contact, too: A KC-10 the other night had quasi-F22 fuel vapes coming off it's receptacle. Two HUGE fuel trails going all the way into the huge vacuum known as the #2 engine. No burner, though.

Itsokimapilot: That 4th picture, especially, is just incredible! Your bud's got some skills.

crewreport: Dude, put away the ruler and just chill. If you want to be proven wrong then feel free to start the fight back up in the AR thread. Or you can do everyone a favor by being a man, leaving it alone, and enjoying the pictures.

post-9702-127017588406_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017589083_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017589924_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017591075_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017592834_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017593874_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017595193_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017596521_thumb.jpg

post-9702-127017599784_thumb.jpg

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

Fair enough. Thank you!

The mods on this board do an excellent job of keeping this forum organized. Wish every online forum had the same level of discipline. I'm glad they moved your post to the correct place--I've never seen this thread before, and these pics were awesome. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple shots from ISAF IX & X (late 2006 to early 2007), mostly in the RC-S and RC-E provinces...

Dutch F-16 taking off at Kandahar. These were all taken by a Dutch soldier named Richard Frigge...as you can see, he did some really amazing work and I'm glad I had the chance to work with him.

post-9853-127101382443_thumb.jpg

post-9853-127101418114_thumb.jpg

He took this one a couple months earlier, and it ended up on the cover of TIME or some such publication.

post-9853-127101390525_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of his other stuff, too...Apaches, hand-launched UAVs, artillery, dismounted patrols, etc. A limited cross section of his work can be found via Google.