PiPS/eFinance - Finance Forms Online

Finance_Guy

Do you think this is Useful ?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No

I've learned that a black & white document scan at 300dpi works best to keep the file size small. You also have the fax option.

300dpi?!? With all the supporting docs I had, I had to go all the way back to 75dpi to keep the filesize under 2MB. Are you scanning as a .pdf or a .jpg?

One thing nice about eFinance is you can create your voucher as you go. No need to wait until after the TDY. But don't submit until your TDY is complete.

I used to do my 1351 as I went, and kept it on my laptop/thumbdrive. After thumbdrive use got axed, I had to email it to myself at work, which turned into enough of a PITA (from the at-home end of things) that I stopped doing it. Since I can only get my SQ-supplied CAC reader to play nice with my '02-vintage laptop about 10% of the time, it's not likely I'll be doing them on eFinance "as I go" anytime soon. BUT... it's nice to have that option available if I hit the TDY lottery later this year and upgrade to something a little more up-to-date.

But think of the time saved in trying to follow-up on "Where's my voucher?"

Honestly, that's the only reason I'm even trying it. We shall see how it goes...

edit - spelling

Edited by JarheadBoom

300dpi?!? With all the supporting docs I had, I had to go all the way back to 75dpi to keep the filesize under 2MB. Are you scanning as a .pdf or a .jpg?

I usually go with PDF but not everyone has the full adobe version. New Office 2007 has ability to convert the .docx to .pdf if you wanted to put .jpg into a Word doc then convert.

Here's what you can do since there is nothing saying you have to scan "everything" in one file name. Scan it in parts. Do the orders as one file then maybe receipts as another. If receipts are a lot, then break receipts down into parts like lodging, rental car etc. eFinance has no limit on "how many" files you upload but only a limit on each individual file's size. This is to prevent denial of service attacks. Same functionality as DTS.

I usually go with PDF but not everyone has the full adobe version. New Office 2007 has ability to convert the .docx to .pdf if you wanted to put .jpg into a Word doc then convert.

Here's what you can do since there is nothing saying you have to scan "everything" in one file name. Scan it in parts. Do the orders as one file then maybe receipts as another. If receipts are a lot, then break receipts down into parts like lodging, rental car etc. eFinance has no limit on "how many" files you upload but only a limit on each individual file's size. This is to prevent denial of service attacks. Same functionality as DTS.

So you can do multiple file uploads? Interesting... the way I was looking at it, it looked like a "one and done" type of setup. I'll have to try doing multiple files next time.

I used .pdf, and emailed the file to myself from the super-multi-function scanner/copier/fax/printer thing in our copyroom. Damn thing's got a CAC reader on it...

So you can do multiple file uploads? Interesting... the way I was looking at it, it looked like a "one and done" type of setup. I'll have to try doing multiple files next time.

Yes you can. Each additional file upload will just keep adding the additional pages into your list of voucher package documents. I think it's pretty cool that even though you upload one document with 5 pages, eFinance will then parse the file out to show the 5 pages as individual documents within the program. Then you can click them to see a larger size and can selectively remove single pages. So if you see a page that may not be an easy read, you could remove just that one, then upload just that page...maybe with a higher res scan.

Give us more ideas of how the system could be made better. May not get all the bells and whistles but at least maybe some suggestions could get implemented.

Guest Jumbopilot

Give us more ideas of how the system could be made better. May not get all the bells and whistles but at least maybe some suggestions could get implemented.

1. The system is set up nicely to guide a 3-year old through the process of filing his travel voucher. I've been filing vouchers for more than 15 years... I know the codes. Give me an "expert option" where I can fill out the itinerary section like I can in the .pdf version of the 1351-2 by quickly tabbing through the various fields. THEN validate my entries. This one change would cut the time required to submit a voucher in half.

2. Forcing me to re-verify my personal information every time I login is excessive. I haven't moved in 7 years... you don't have to ask me every day if I've moved. Suggest adopting the portal's method of asking you to re-verify your information every couple of months. It reduces bandwidth requirements and user frustration.

3. Allow me to input dates without having to bring up the calendar. Use Javascript to intelligently reformat my dates to your system preference like Excel does.

4. When I go back to edit a travel voucher, don't make me re-answer every question. Go back to the first unanswered question. If all questions have been answered, go back to the submission screen.

The general theme here is to save time. This system's got great potential, but it's clear the developers don't have to file many travel vouchers of their own because they've opted to improve usability by maximizing the number of screens the user has to surf through. Dial it back a bit. It takes a long time to download web pages on our military systems. Minimizing the number of screens and button clicks required to submit travel vouchers saves a great deal of time and will dramatically increase acceptance of the system.

1. The system is set up nicely to guide a 3-year old through the process of filing his travel voucher. I've been filing vouchers for more than 15 years... I know the codes. Give me an "expert option" where I can fill out the itinerary section like I can in the .pdf version of the 1351-2 by quickly tabbing through the various fields. THEN validate my entries. This one change would cut the time required to submit a voucher in half.

2. Forcing me to re-verify my personal information every time I login is excessive. I haven't moved in 7 years... you don't have to ask me every day if I've moved. Suggest adopting the portal's method of asking you to re-verify your information every couple of months. It reduces bandwidth requirements and user frustration.

3. Allow me to input dates without having to bring up the calendar. Use Javascript to intelligently reformat my dates to your system preference like Excel does.

4. When I go back to edit a travel voucher, don't make me re-answer every question. Go back to the first unanswered question. If all questions have been answered, go back to the submission screen.

The general theme here is to save time. This system's got great potential, but it's clear the developers don't have to file many travel vouchers of their own because they've opted to improve usability by maximizing the number of screens the user has to surf through. Dial it back a bit. It takes a long time to download web pages on our military systems. Minimizing the number of screens and button clicks required to submit travel vouchers saves a great deal of time and will dramatically increase acceptance of the system.

Thanks. Good feedback. #1 is one of the areas that was hardest to try and nail down. Good Idea for expert option and I'll send it forward.

#2 will probably not happen. Takes two seconds to click continue twice. Making users go through this screen every time was intentional since it may be that one time in 7 years you move but if we didn't push you to those screens you may forget to update personal info. Sounds dumb but when you are on the receiving end of data gathering it makes sense.

#3 is possible but many prefer the calendar approach and it pulls up the most recent month. No way to error check you entering Jan 01, 1907 is there? Excel will accept it too. But using the calendar control would take one forever to scroll back that far--see the benefit here?

For your #4. No need to reenter data, just click the continue at the bottom right to press through screens you already completed. There are only about 6-7 screens in total to complete a voucher. Not sure how many you are seeing.

But, I will submit these as they are and see what the PMO thinks. Thanks.

Slight Hijack...

FG,

I was talking to a local finance guy about eFinance and he said this program may used for extended TDY and/or deployment vouchers in the near future. He also said DTS was a possibility. Any truth to this? DTS might work well for the average ground guy who stays put but might be overly complicated for folks who tend to move around alot. Just wondering your thoughts.

Edited by XL0901

FG,

I was talking to a local finance guy about eFinance and he said this program may used for extended TDY and/or deployment vouchers in the near future. He also said DTS was a possibility. Any truth to this? DTS might work well for the average ground guy who stays put but might be overly complicated for folks who tend to move around alot. Just wondering your thoughts.

Mixed on this. I'm out on the road briefing the options. For those who deploy and stay in one place, definitely DTS, but for those who have out and backs from a MOB, maybe eFinance is better. There are pros/cons to both methods. Was thinking about putting up a poll page to see what the thoughts are. I'd want to think the Active duty aircrews might want to use DTS since they use it all the time now anyway.

Paper vouchers will eventually go away, the plan is for DTS to do them all. So again, I'm mixed and we don't want to confuse the travelers as to which system to use and limit to as few as possible. ACC has again mandated using DTS for deployment vouchers last year on 1 NOV.

Please let me know your thoughts. I think either method will work to help reduce manual paper and lost vouchers.

Edited by Finance_Guy

Mixed on this. I'm out on the road briefing the options. For those who deploy and stay in one place, definitely DTS, but for those who have out and backs from a MOB, maybe eFinance is better. There are pros/cons to both methods. Was thinking about putting up a poll page to see what the thoughts are. I'd want to think the Active duty aircrews might want to use DTS since they use it all the time now anyway.

Paper vouchers will eventually go away, the plan is for DTS to do them all. So again, I'm mixed and we don't want to confuse the travelers as to which system to use and limit to as few as possible. ACC has again mandated using DTS for deployment vouchers last year on 1 NOV.

Please let me know your thoughts. I think either method will work to help reduce manual paper and lost vouchers.

Been doing alot of talking on the matter and here is what I have been hearing:

DTS Pros

- We use it all the time and are familiar with its quirks.

- Minimal processing time

- Build blanket authorization for everyone, tweak individually as needed

DTS Cons (Possibly)

- Individual tweaking (For AMC crews that transition the AOR and are thus entitled additional perdiem, that is a lot of time consuming adjustments for say a 120 day rotation)

- Additional burden on approving officials

- DTS (un)reliability

- HFP/CZTE, AF1881s for everybody? What about HDP?

- Accrual vouchers, some deployed locations have lodging costs, can DTS handle accruals?

I noticed eFinance has an accrual function. Maybe this would be a generally better solution. Honestly I don't know enough about it to talk educatedly. Maybe a separate discussion/poll would be a good idea. Thanks in advance for the insight

- Accrual vouchers, some deployed locations have lodging costs, can DTS handle accruals?

I've been pleasantly surprised by just how well DTS does handle accruals. (Note, the DTS folks were adamant that it is NOT an "accrual voucher" I've been filing, it's an amendment to the authorization--but the end result is the same.)

Basically, set up a travel auth with the best info you have before you leave. For a TDY over a certain length (45 days, maybe? I'm not sure), the routing for the auth goes to "deployment" (I assume that will vary from base to base). I go into DTS as often as required to update my expenses via "amending" the auth; someone from the "deployment" office approves my expenses; and on the same day of each month (25th in my case, I don't know if that's standard or just how mine worked out), the reimbursements I'm due get credited to the GTC & my own checking account, according to how I have the individual expenses allocated. I haven't had any changes to file for the last couple of months since I've been in the AOR, so I just get the $105 / mo ($3.50 x 30) in my checking account w/ no interaction through DTS. Before I got here, though, I had a lot of big itinerary changes that involved additional reimbursible expenses & per diem changes--I've gotten every bit of it. It's also pretty easy to follow, since there's a "scheduled payments" page that lets you see what payment to expect & on what date.

When I get home at the end of the deployment, I'll wrap up the DTS voucher per normal--but most of the info will already be there from my monthly updates, it will only be my redeployment expenses needing inclusion. That's also where (I assume for now; I will be checking at the time) the exact days will get cleaned up (e.g., the 30 day months that are assumed for a $105 monthly deployed per diem, vs the actual number of days).

BL, DTS has its issues, but this seems to be working (at least in my case).

Guest Jumbopilot

FG,

Travel voucher-related question that applies to Reservists...

When I fly a mission, my orders are on a AF938 (Request for Active Duty Training/Active Duty Tour). At the bottom of the orders is a block called Statement of Tour of Duty where I enter the time I departed home, the time I arrived at my base, and the modes of transportation used. On the next line, I enter the time I departed base, the time I arrived back home, and the modes of transportation used. Then someone in my squadron certifies the orders.

1. I am assuming this information is used by Military Pay when they pay my salary for the trip. After all, why would Travel Pay need this information when it's already on the 1351-2? So, how does Military Pay receive this information? It is not clear what the process is once the voucher is approved by my supervisor and approving official. Does the voucher get routed through Military Pay before going to Travel Pay?

2. Does eFinance allow my supervisor (who certifies the orders) to print out a copy of the orders from my uploaded documents in eFinance, certify them, scan them into a file and upload them back into eFinance (or fax them in)? If it doesn't, it needs to. Better yet, that part of the process should be made paperless as well. The alternative for me would likely be printing out the orders at home, filling out the Statement of Tour of Duty info, faxing it back to the squadron, having the supervisor certify the orders, fax it back to me, scan it into a .pdf, then upload it into eFinance. Can anyone say PITA?

FG,

Travel voucher-related question that applies to Reservists...

When I fly a mission, my orders are on a AF938 (Request for Active Duty Training/Active Duty Tour). At the bottom of the orders is a block called Statement of Tour of Duty where I enter the time I departed home, the time I arrived at my base, and the modes of transportation used. On the next line, I enter the time I departed base, the time I arrived back home, and the modes of transportation used. Then someone in my squadron certifies the orders.

1. I am assuming this information is used by Military Pay when they pay my salary for the trip. After all, why would Travel Pay need this information when it's already on the 1351-2? So, how does Military Pay receive this information? It is not clear what the process is once the voucher is approved by my supervisor and approving official. Does the voucher get routed through Military Pay before going to Travel Pay?

2. Does eFinance allow my supervisor (who certifies the orders) to print out a copy of the orders from my uploaded documents in eFinance, certify them, scan them into a file and upload them back into eFinance (or fax them in)? If it doesn't, it needs to. Better yet, that part of the process should be made paperless as well. The alternative for me would likely be printing out the orders at home, filling out the Statement of Tour of Duty info, faxing it back to the squadron, having the supervisor certify the orders, fax it back to me, scan it into a .pdf, then upload it into eFinance. Can anyone say PITA?

eFinance was not developed to accomodate any actions for reserve military pay. The program was created to assist the AD finance in receiving travel vouchers and getting them to Ellsworth for payment. There was not much reserve FM involvement since the reserve pay offices had nothing to do (and didn't want anything to do) with the process. This stemmed from a long standing support agreement that most all AD finance offices had to support paying travel vouchers. So it was left up to the AD finance to figure a way to try and automate only the travel voucher preparation and payment process, and was more critical since the payment processing moved to Ellsworth.

So if you would like a similar system to handle your 938 for pay, then you should bring that up to AFRC. Right now your 938 for pay will be handled just as you did before eFinance. The AD finance has no ability to update reserve pay.

Guest Jumbopilot

eFinance was not developed to accomodate any actions for reserve military pay. The program was created to assist the AD finance in receiving travel vouchers and getting them to Ellsworth for payment. There was not much reserve FM involvement since the reserve pay offices had nothing to do (and didn't want anything to do) with the process...

Interesting. Does this imply that Reservists can only use eFinance for travel vouchers? Allotments, BAH certifications, state of residence, etc must still be handled directly through reserve pay?

Separate issue I encountered on a recent travel voucher... Voucher was rejected due to a mistake I made, but when I went back to edit the voucher, all uploaded documents had been deleted from the file. Didn't take me long to upload all my receipts again, but was curious whether this behavior was by design or an error in the software.

Interesting. Does this imply that Reservists can only use eFinance for travel vouchers? Allotments, BAH certifications, state of residence, etc must still be handled directly through reserve pay?

Separate issue I encountered on a recent travel voucher... Voucher was rejected due to a mistake I made, but when I went back to edit the voucher, all uploaded documents had been deleted from the file. Didn't take me long to upload all my receipts again, but was curious whether this behavior was by design or an error in the software.

Right, Reserves can only use it for Travel vouchers since that's all that flows through the AD Finance office.

Interesting the uploaded documents were gone. I don't think the system is supposed to delete them. Were they not part of everything when you click All Documents. I'm wondering if they were incorporated as part of the package but didn't show up in the upload page.

Edited by Finance_Guy

Guest Jumbopilot

Right, Reserves can only use it for Travel vouchers since that's all that flows through the AD Finance office.

Interesting the uploaded documents were gone. I don't think the system is supposed to delete them. Were they not part of everything when you click All Documents. I'm wondering if they were incorporated as part of the package but didn't show up in the upload page.

Can't say as I recall seeing a button labeled All Documents. I saw the window where the thumbnails of uploaded documents are normally shown and it was empty. When I uploaded the receipts again, the thumbnails showed up in the window. If I have to click another button in that instance to view the receipts, then it's not very intuitive.

Can't say as I recall seeing a button labeled All Documents. I saw the window where the thumbnails of uploaded documents are normally shown and it was empty. When I uploaded the receipts again, the thumbnails showed up in the window. If I have to click another button in that instance to view the receipts, then it's not very intuitive.

The option is on the Travel Voucher Summary page. The page after you upload documents. See attached image and you will see it under the word "Summary"

post-3125-126716504466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Finance_Guy

Just filed a voucher with eFinance for the first time yesterday.

Just received the advice-of-payment email for this voucher yesterday, making for a 20-day turn time. This seems to be the average turn-time for eFinance submissions among the folks in my SQ who have used it (not everyone is using it... yet). Not too bad for WRI.

Just received the advice-of-payment email for this voucher yesterday, making for a 20-day turn time. This seems to be the average turn-time for eFinance submissions among the folks in my SQ who have used it (not everyone is using it... yet). Not too bad for WRI.

That sounds like good news, but should have been a quicker turn. We validated one claim that was paid in 5 duty days after submission by Finance but that was on an AD member and those seem to take less time than reservist travel claims. That is basically due to the reserve travel cell at Ellsworth has much more workload than the AD cell since most AD claims are done in DTS. So the AD cell only processes deployment and TDY-to-School vouchers.

AMC/CC signed out a memo last week to direct use of eFinance for AD and highly encourages reservists to use it too. Also directing AMC bases to begin implementation of getting AD deployment orders into DTS. I've been working the DTS CED order implementation during the last two months while at the AMC bases. I've been to 4 AMC bases so far since 18 Jan. Putting deployment orders in DTS has it's share of headaches but I think for aircrew, you guys are going to like it since you will have more control over your travel reimbursements and scheduling partial payments (aka Accruals) within DTS.

AMC/CC signed out a memo last week to direct use of eFinance for AD and highly encourages reservists to use it too.

My personal prediction is that the AFRC/CC will soon follow suit, now that folks are using it and having success.

From my point of view, eFinance brings a degree of accountability to the voucher process that, up until now, was missing. I had several emails in my Inbox when I returned from my most recent trip (which I'll be e-filing tomorrow) telling me where that voucher was in the approval process; we had little-to-no accountability before.

BL: I'm gonna continue using eFinance.

My personal prediction is that the AFRC/CC will soon follow suit, now that folks are using it and having success.

From my point of view, eFinance brings a degree of accountability to the voucher process that, up until now, was missing. I had several emails in my Inbox when I returned from my most recent trip (which I'll be e-filing tomorrow) telling me where that voucher was in the approval process; we had little-to-no accountability before.

BL: I'm gonna continue using eFinance.

Good Deal. AFRC/CC did put out a memo stating, "While AFRC is working to automate our travel voucher processes until DTS is fully available, the new capabilities in E-Finance provide an automated option for preparing travel vouchers using E-Voucher. The Active Duty Financial Services Office can assist with any questions on E-Voucher, and I highly recommend and encourage the use of E-Voucher for preparing all non-DTS vouchers."

• 2 years later...

Any idea why DM is no longer using PIPS?

Don't know. I know some commands thought it was more work, but it is not all about Finance workload. I think PIPS is a rather good program no matter what some may say and you have electrons of filing the voucher and a record of Finance reviewing it that sends it on to Ellsworth AFFSC.

... you have electrons of filing the voucher and a record of Finance reviewing it that sends it on to Ellsworth AFFSC.

My point exactly. Using it was the first and only time I have had accountability of wtf is going on with my voucher after it was in finance's hands. Now I get to play the game of sit and wait and hope everything goes through properly and in a timely manner.

Edit for grammerz with phone keyboard

Edited by DFRESH