NAV vs. EWO

Guest Swiftraptor

Guest Swiftraptor

Anyone in the know on what the difference is between these in terms of aircraft operation? Do panel navs deal directly with the flight of the aircraft while a EWO only deals with jammers and countermeasures and such? Or is it more fluid?

Originally posted by Swiftraptor:

Do panel navs deal directly with the flight of the aircraft while a EWO only deals with jammers and countermeasures and such?

That pretty much sums it up. A lot of the difference depends on your platform. In the RC world and EC world, which both center around beeps and squeaks type stuff, the EWO has a much more involved role in the mission since they are the mission. In these communities the nav isn't doing a whole lot since the majority of the flying is high-level orbits.

In AFSOC, the nav is very involved with the mission planning, and with the "flying" of the mission (i.e. directing and backing up pilots, monitoring/talking on radios, fuel calculations, etc.) EWOs are there to make sure you don't get your ass shot off. Meaning unless you're in bad guy land, the EWO isn't doing jack (i.e. no one is shooting at you when you're flying CONUS).

This is similar in the BUFF as well from what I've heard.

In the RC world and EC world, which both center around beeps and squeaks type stuff, the EWO has a much more involved role in the mission since they are the mission. In these communities the nav isn't doing a whole lot since the majority of the flying is high-level orbits.
Not entirely true. The nav in the RC is the liaison between the mission crew and the drivers. The nav is constantly working timing problems for AR, and also to make sure the aircraft is where it needs to be, when it needs to be there for on-station times, exit times, vul times, when-you're-told-to-be-there times, etc. We're talking specific points or areas on the track, not just in a constant bank circular orbit. The EWOs need the jet to be exactly where they want it to be in order for them to execute their mission. The nav puts it there.

You may have your whole plan worked out, saying, I'm gonna hit point A, then B, then C, back to B and then hit the exit point at 1700Z. You set your airspeed, you've got it plugged in the box, you put your whiz wheel down, you think you are MONEY and they call up from the back "We need an IMMEDIATE turn, NOW!"

Might as well throw it all out the window.

Up until very recently, the nav was the only person on the aircraft who could program the INS. The pilots only had a screen, no control head, so if you are cleared direct anywhere, the nav's gotta put it in, nobody else can.

Yes, the EWOs (and the rest of the back end crew, forgive my overgeneralizations here) are the mission, but the front end gets them there and keeps them there. Granted, were not terrain following or doppler notching, but in most cases, the RC can't afford to be "a few miles or so off." with the front end crew "not doing a whole lot."