Buff Down In Guam

B52gator

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Raider 21 crew list.

Of those that I have not spoken about:

Maj Brent "B-dub" Williams, I didn't know him very well but I can say that he was squared away. He showed up to the 96th just prior to them deploying and took over as the interim CC. He lead a tight ship but made sure that life was fun. He will be truly missed.

Capt. Mike "Bull" Dodson, I don't even know where to begin. This guy was solid, he started his career as a C-130 nav out of Pope and then found his way here to the BUFF. Probably one of the best Co-pilots I have ever flown with. He had his shit squared away and was always striving to do more and to do it better. I can't say enough for how much I appreciate the knowledge and the influence he had on me, he pushed me to go for my dreams and then helped me to achieve them. There's not many better that I have ever shared a beer with and he was always the first to buy and the last to quit. A true hero in my book and one of Americas finest patriots.

Lt. Josh "Shaman" Shepherd, one of my favorites. As a new guy to the squadron he couldn't wait to get started, he was passionate about his job and even more passionate to solidify the friendship of his new family. In the jet he shined as a nav and it wasn't long before he found his way in to the scheduling shop. His desk was the first as you walk in the door and he always greeted you with a smile. His optimism, work ethic, and unwilingness to do the job half assed held this shop of "old" dudes together. He was the guy you could always count on no matter the task. I know that sounds cliche, but that is no shit how he was, no sacrifice was to much for him. The hardest part is knowing that he has a newborn that will never really know him and a 5 year old that will miss him for the rest of his life.

There is so much more that I could say about these fine patriots and maybe one day I will. A huge part of my family has been taken and can never be replaced. I do pray that one day we meet again and that there will be a cold one waiting. Life will and must go on with out you all but I assure you that you will not be forgotten.

Saw the names released and when I saw Brent D Williams, I thought please don't let it be the same one I know. Then saw a picture of Maj Williams..and then realized I went to college with him and was in ROTC with him back in the dark ages (early 90's).

It always sucks, even if you dont know the dudes, when names and faces are put together after the fact... Real people, real dreams... Hell that coulda been any one of us.

As was once said by the all-knowing BOZZ or Rainman (cant remember which), "This flying shit aint no kids game."

If this doesnt drive that home, I dont know what will. Godspeed brothers.

Chuck

Of those that I have not spoken about:

Maj Brent "B-dub" Williams, I didn't know him very well but I can say that he was squared away. He showed up to the 96th just prior to them deploying and took over as the interim CC. He lead a tight ship but made sure that life was fun. He will be truly missed.

Capt. Mike "Bull" Dodson, I don't even know where to begin. This guy was solid, he started his career as a C-130 nav out of Pope and then found his way here to the BUFF. Probably one of the best Co-pilots I have ever flown with. He had his shit squared away and was always striving to do more and to do it better. I can't say enough for how much I appreciate the knowledge and the influence he had on me, he pushed me to go for my dreams and then helped me to achieve them. There's not many better that I have ever shared a beer with and he was always the first to buy and the last to quit. A true hero in my book and one of Americas finest patriots.

Lt. Josh "Shaman" Shepherd, one of my favorites. As a new guy to the squadron he couldn't wait to get started, he was passionate about his job and even more passionate to solidify the friendship of his new family. In the jet he shined as a nav and it wasn't long before he found his way in to the scheduling shop. His desk was the first as you walk in the door and he always greeted you with a smile. His optimism, work ethic, and unwilingness to do the job half assed held this shop of "old" dudes together. He was the guy you could always count on no matter the task. I know that sounds cliche, but that is no shit how he was, no sacrifice was to much for him. The hardest part is knowing that he has a newborn that will never really know him and a 5 year old that will miss him for the rest of his life.

There is so much more that I could say about these fine patriots and maybe one day I will. A huge part of my family has been taken and can never be replaced. I do pray that one day we meet again and that there will be a cold one waiting. Life will and must go on with out you all but I assure you that you will not be forgotten.

Does anyone know what classes "Shaman" and Rob Gerren were in at Randolph?

Godspeed. Him Him :beer::beer:

The only crewman I knew was Chris, and he kept me on my toes in CCP class. I can't tell how many times I got that stare (like the one in the photograph they released) when he didn't understand something I was trying to emphasize. He really did have everything in one sock, and had a lot of confidence. I remember a couple of them from my visit down there a few months ago, but I had to see their pictures to remember a couple of them.

I'm certainly not implying anything, but my worst fear is a late ejection decision. The 'you are your own seat commander' step was put in the checklist for a reason - the seats are old and the envelopes are small. I remember I had at least one hand on the trigger ring and my head back in the headrest on a few occasions, but I can honestly say I'm not sure what would have driven me past my 'comfort zone' to go through with it. It's probably not discussed enough. I'm sure it will be now.

I'll never forget the video the copilot who was on the 1991 crash off Diego Garcia made years ago that was shown to us in navigator training. That generation is retired or at the O-5/O-6 level now, so they can rarely pass on the important safety nuggets to the younger crewdogs on the urgency of what may be the most important decision of you life. That group dealt with a fair number of accidents, whereas there hasn't been a mishap since 1994, long before I started flying the BUFF. I don't know if another checklist change will be enough.

Guest whyme?
The only crewman I knew was Chris, and he kept me on my toes in CCP class. I can't tell how many times I got that stare (like the one in the photograph they released) when he didn't understand something I was trying to emphasize. He really did have everything in one sock, and had a lot of confidence. I remember a couple of them from my visit down there a few months ago, but I had to see their pictures to remember a couple of them.

I'm certainly not implying anything, but my worst fear is a late ejection decision. The 'you are your own seat commander' step was put in the checklist for a reason - the seats are old and the envelopes are small. I remember I had at least one hand on the trigger ring and my head back in the headrest on a few occasions, but I can honestly say I'm not sure what would have driven me past my 'comfort zone' to go through with it. It's probably not discussed enough. I'm sure it will be now.

I'll never forget the video the copilot who was on the 1991 crash off Diego Garcia made years ago that was shown to us in navigator training. That generation is retired or at the O-5/O-6 level now, so they can rarely pass on the important safety nuggets to the younger crewdogs on the urgency of what may be the most important decision of you life. That group dealt with a fair number of accidents, whereas there hasn't been a mishap since 1994, long before I started flying the BUFF. I don't know if another checklist change will be enough.

My question is does a waiver of a 50 year old seat make it work? Nope? Ok because from what I have seen they recovered the pilots. Makes me think someone tried to leave the jet but didnt get out.

I knew Josh so it really bothers me.

Guest Sparky

I knew B-Dub very well, he was a great friend and a true patriot. The thing I will remember most about him was how important his 2 children were to him...they were his life, he adored them and they him. He was a single father with full custody of his kids ever since they were very young...that must tell you something about his character! Some judge gave custody to a single father who was an Air Force aviator/officer...the children were only about 2-4 years old at the time and he did a tremendous job. His whole life was those kids...he was always inviting me to his son's (Border) football games. Border is a very good quarterback for a 10 year old and is constantly invited to special camps all over the country, I am sure he will follow in his father's foot steps and go to OU...except not on an AFROTC scholarship like his dad, more likely on an athletic scholarship. His daughter Brook is a beautiful young lady...soon to be a teenager, B-Dub brought her over to my house a couple times when I would have get togethers. One time I remember there was something on TV that in his opinion wasn't appropriate for her to watch, so he kindly asked if I would turn the channel..I smiled and thought "what a great dad", then I changed the channel so I wouldn't get my ass kicked. There was nothing in this world that could get B-Dub stirred up, except if it had to do with his kids. We should all aspire to be such great fathers.....

My heart breaks at the thought of Brook and Border losing their father....I will never forget you, and promise to try and be at least half the dad you were.

It always sucks, even if you dont know the dudes, when names and faces are put together after the fact... Real people, real dreams... Hell that coulda been any one of us.

As was once said by the all-knowing BOZZ or Rainman (cant remember which), "This flying shit aint no kids game."

If this doesnt drive that home, I dont know what will. Godspeed brothers.

Chuck

Pretty sure it was "puss game" and Rainman but it's been a while. Semantics aside, well said Chuck.

I remember drinking with BW at Noble Savage after KBAD passed the NSI. I can't begin to tell those who don't know the nuclear business that he was one of the few who single-handedly averted having 1/3 of the Triad go down - not on his watch as acting commander.

He had so much pride for his squadron and job. The rest of the memories are mine.

I was in Bull's pilot training class and no words can describe the kind of guy he was. I don't even know where to start. He was the most friendly, professional, and push it up dude I have ever met. Someone else said he would always be the first to buy you a drink, and the last to leave the bar. I couldn't possibly have said it better. In the middle of planning for his checkride, Bull would drop what he was doing in a heartbeat and listen to you bitch about how you just fcked away your latest sortie. That was his standard act though, and he never thought twice about stuff like that. We are all worse off without dudes like him.

May you always have the sun at your 6 and a Mig at your 12, brother. :beer:

Guest mailman

To ANYONE who has photos of any member of the crew of RAIDR21, whether official or candid, we need your help. We are in the process of building a slide show for tomorrow's memorial service at the deployed location. If you have one or more pictures that you feel are appropriate for use in the memorial slide show, please send them to the email address below. To anyone at Barksdale or elsewhere that can contribute to this effort, know everyone here is extremely grateful. Please send the images as soon as possible as time will be short to be able to include them. If you are skeptical, please send me an email at the below address and I'll verify the legitimacy of this request.

To Zippy (below), his crew, and everyone else, from every agency, involved in the SAR operation and the continuing recovery effort, I offer on behalf of the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron our deepest gratitude. Your immediate response and incredible dedication in the effort to help our guys is known by all of us.

Additionally, a sincere thanks to those here who've posted their respects. -kb

Please respond to: raidr21memorialphotos@gmail.com

Edited by mailman

:beer: For everyone involed in the rescure effort. I know some of you have probably doen SAR in the open ocean and you know it is not a easy task. The Pacific is a big ocean and there is a hell of a current where they went down. Those guys will be busting their ass to find remaining crew members.

As a member of the P-3 crew that flew as part of the SAR operation - Thanks. We showed up at Anderson with little notice, hardly any information and not much more then our "bingo" bags, six maintainers and their tools- but everyone on the base did a terrific job of giving us the logistical support we needed to get out there and help out with the search. We were very impressed with the help we got and only wished that our interactions were under better circumstances and that things turned out differently for the crew. Thoughts and prayers to their families...

Edited by Zippy

From AFA...

pix072408crew.jpg

The six airmen killed in the July 21, 2008 crash of a B-52 off the coast of Guam were (l to r):

Andersen AFB, Guam

Col. George Martin, 36th Medical Group deputy commander and flight surgeon

2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.

Maj. Christopher M. Cooper, aircraft commander

Maj. Brent D. Williams, navigator

Capt. Michael K. Dodson, co-pilot

1st Lt. Joshua D. Shepherd, navigator

1st Lt. Robert D. Gerren, electronic warfare officer

:salut::flag_waving::beer:

Godspeed, gentlemen!

Cheers! M2

I want to thank everyone for adding there stories and memories of the crew. If there are anymore out there please don't hesitate to add them. We are working on a memorial here for them and the families have asked for us to be able to share many of these stories with them. Thank you all again!

Guest Sparky
From AFA...

pix072408crew.jpg

The six airmen killed in the July 21, 2008 crash of a B-52 off the coast of Guam were (l to r):

Andersen AFB, Guam

Col. George Martin, 36th Medical Group deputy commander and flight surgeon

2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.

Maj. Christopher M. Cooper, aircraft commander

Maj. Brent D. Williams, navigator

Capt. Michael K. Dodson, co-pilot

1st Lt. Joshua D. Shepherd, navigator

1st Lt. Robert D. Gerren, electronic warfare officer

:salut::flag_waving::beer:

Godspeed, gentlemen!

Cheers! M2

Correction...

Major Brent "B-Dub" Williams, Instructor Radar Navigator

The media rarely gets it right! I think he should be remembered properly, the best fvcking Radar Nav I ever flew with!!!

Cheers,

Sparky