Cross Fit

john

So I've been crossfitting for about 8 months off and on and now 3 months regularly. It got some press in the AF Times and I hear they even gave CF sessions at the Deid now. So who else does it and what do you think?

Edited by john

I've done a few of the workouts and when I feel like getting my ass up and working out again I think I'll be doing cross fit. It just fits my style, I guess. My wife says there's a team at Randolph, so I may jump on board (if possible) there when we get settled.

Guest Bad_MuthaFu--a

And if you get bored with CrossFit (which I personally have not tried yet) give P90X a shot....did it for a month before I got put on 4 sorties a week and its an asskicker

yeah i did 90x for the full 90 days. i lost about 10 pounds. i just lost interest because it just came repetitive and i started to realize the benefits of functional fitness that came with cross fit. plus after a couple months of this im still pumped about each workout no mater how much it sucks. when it comes down to it i dont care about how curls i can do, i would rather be able to get my self up over a wall wearing a vest or know how much weight i can get up off the floor to over my head or be able to run all out with out dying. not saying 90x is bad, i just have a different goal in my fitness these days.

• 8 months later...

Just started Crossfit this week. Wanted to change things up from my usual workout - and it has been a change indeed! The workouts (so far) have been good with a lot of soreness being inflicted. Definitely a change of pace and I am usually winded and in the feeble three-point-stance when I am finished. Fosters healthy competition too, which makes each workout interesting. I also like the fact that I won't know tomorrow's workout until I log on to the site tomorrow (can be an unpleasant surprise!)

I don't do CrossFit regularly but I'll do one of the named WOD's every once in a while. The workouts definitely kick my ass both cardio and strength wise. Some of the workouts I modify though since most the gyms I've been to (both on and off base) don't have what you need (rings, pull-up bars next to free weights, kettlebells, etc.).

I don't do CrossFit regularly but I'll do one of the named WOD's every once in a while. The workouts definitely kick my ass both cardio and strength wise. Some of the workouts I modify though since most the gyms I've been to (both on and off base) don't have what you need (rings, pull-up bars next to free weights, kettlebells, etc.).

I haven't seen a CrossFit class but my wife teaches a Les Mills Bodypump class... it's a choreographed to music weight lifting routine that is pretty intense. If you're looking for something like crossfit and can't find it in your area try checking out the local gyms to see if they offer any Bodypump classes.

Bodypump

*edit to add link

Edited by Vertigo

The Wing/CC at OKAS is into Crossfit, so our gym here got all new equipment for it this year. Full set of kettlebells, new pull up bars, more wall-balls, and two lifting mats for cleans and whatnot. Its great! They even have twice-weekly Crossfit classes for beginners, and the daily workouts are posted on the wall.

Big fan.

The Wing/CC at OKAS is into Crossfit, so our gym here got all new equipment for it this year. Full set of kettlebells, new pull up bars, more wall-balls, and two lifting mats for cleans and whatnot. Its great! They even have twice-weekly Crossfit classes for beginners, and the daily workouts are posted on the wall.

Big fan.

Same thing at VN. A lot of people are getting into it. The competitive aspect of Crossfit is addicting. A couple IPs here are certified and teach classes.

I just got my pawns on a copy of P90X so I am gonna start that once I get back from ASBC.

I am on the third week of p90x... its pretty amazing. First week made me so sore I could barely walk. I've lost about 10lbs and 3-4 inches around my waist already.

Guest SATCOM

It's definitely a change from the old gym/weights routine. USAF Special Tactics has incorporated many aspects of CF into our pipeline and Advanced Skills Center at Hurlburt Fld. CF will work a broader range of muscle groups. Being an old school CCT, I was raised on lots of push ups, sit ups, ruck marching and running. While satisfactory for its day, many injuries occurred and the ensuing DNIF/DNIJ time was problematic. I've done a few workouts and they've smoked my carcass, plain and simple. There's been a growth in this type of PT, and it's great. Studies have shown a DECREASE in injuries and an INCREASE in recovery times when injured. We have sent three troops to various train-the-trainer symposiums. One of the places is: www.mtnathlete.com among others.

Niiice. How closely are you sticking to the diet?

Definitely not doing the diet it suggests, but I am dieting for sure. Altus is basically post-upt fat camp for me.

Tony Horton gets annoying pretty quickly but the workouts are great.

Guest warriorboy16

crossfit is great. some of the harder workouts never fail to have me lying on the gym floor for 10 minutes after I finish.

Guest Krabs
A friend sent me this link. http://www.militaryathlete.com/

That looks great. I'm gonna have to pick up a weighted vest in lieu of body armor and fill some sandbags and get to it. I really like that there are only a couple timed workouts per week. Nothing wrong with the "done for time" approach like a lot of CrossFit stuff is; I just don't like it all the time.

Tony Horton gets annoying pretty quickly but the workouts are great.

I've done P90X a few times.. and Tony Horton reminds us of a dude in my husband's class :) The way he talks, acts, and his antics when he does the worksouts and what have you...